CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Futures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Futures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Futures - 11/16/2023 7:42:13 AM   
MB1991

Seeing a lot of talk about (specifically Bdx) futures. Is there a secret to getting into the futures "game"? Are they usually direct through wineries, distributors, min. purchases, etc.?
Post #: 1
RE: Futures - 11/16/2023 8:24:23 AM   
JohnNezlek

Dear MB,

In the past (early 2000s), I bought bdx futures. Then, it was the case that futures cost less than the wine would cost upon release. In some cases, the difference was meaningful, 20% or more. Moreover, you could specify non-standard bottle sizes for not much more than the "base price" for a 750ml. Usually, you had to buy a full case of whatever wine you wanted, maybe a half-case.

Downside: You paid upfront, and someone held your money for 2-3 years. Moreover, this "someone" needed to be reliable, i.e., not go under between payment and delivery. Google Premier Cru for a seemingly reputable merchant who burned a bunch of people. I hope Fox established some new intimate relationships while in prison. Noting this, there are numerous reputable merchants who still offer futures.

Regardless, for me, the blush is off the rose for bdx futures, primarily because it seems to me that the differences between the "en primeur" price and the price at release are no longer worth the trouble. I could be mistaken.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best of luck with all of this.
John

Too many wines, too little time.

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 2
RE: Futures - 11/16/2023 9:11:31 AM   
jmcmchi

You can buy them through merchants - Binnies in Chicago usually has a wide selection on their website when it comes to futures season. Ditto any of the big name NYC retailers. When I was buying, Ifound that prices could vary significantly

Otherwise,as JohnN noted

(in reply to JohnNezlek)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Futures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll