CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/17/2024 7:55:49 PM   
#winewithryan

Since my wife and started our wine journey we have probably sampled well over 1,000 wines (mostly red). A local wine boutique owner asked us to consider making wine videos. We didn't know what she meant or what it would entail but what we would come up with were sub-60 second wine videos talking about tasting notes, fun facts, recommended or vintages of wines we could not recommend.

Here is a link to our Youtube channel where we have playlists for white, rose and red wines...I think we are at over 140 wines uploaded....give or take.
https://www.youtube.com/@musclecarfan1/shorts

For members here, you are well versed in the world of wine and I am asking for your feedback on the script of videos we've done so far and what else we could consider doing to make them more interesting to help budding wine lovers learn more and delve into this world with more confidence than they may have.

Any critique is welcome...good, bad or ugly. I am not sure how to tweak these sub 60 second videos into anything different but your lens may help if there is something to consider...

I have sync'd all of our social media platforms so that anything uploaded to Youtube also is uploaded to Instagram and Tiktok to capture the widest audience possible.

Ryan

Instagram: ryan_baliski
Tiktok: @winewithryan
Post #: 1
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 4:19:18 AM   
DoubleD1969

Sorry, I’m not going to click on the video because I start getting feeds in everyone else’s wine tasting videos. Do you know how many there are out there? [Answer: Too many to count. I can’t click the “Do Not Recommend Channel” all day.]

This may be the second worse way to maintain tasting notes; perhaps the days of writing notes on papyrus might be worse. If I were a newbie, I would want to learn more than a 60-second snippet about a specific wine. Some YouTube channels are pretty good in giving an overview of the region, varietal, winemaking process, etc. that last 10-15 minutes. Other channels go into specific wines with more depth, using some kind of wine credentials (although I haven’t verified it) to say they know what they’re talking about.

If I wanted a tasting note, I can’t think of a better source than CellarTracker in terms of functionality, usability, and content.

I realize there is a commercial value in creating a YouTube channel and getting people to click on it. Good luck!

(in reply to #winewithryan)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 6:10:55 AM   
#winewithryan

No worries DD. We were asked by a local company sometime back to make a series of wine videos. That then led to a brief sponsorship by a wine importer who liked what we were doing. Key being keeping videos under 60 seconds in length as view time is typically less than a minute for most videos.

We have evolved our videos as far as I think we can take them and not sure what next. We're drinking the wines anyways and to make a quick vid doesn't take much effort. It doubles as a way to help people see the variety of wines locally and it helps people who watch choose wines they perhaps wouldn't have thought to try.

We'll keep sharing out love for wines as we come across them. If we come across a bottle worth dumping...then we will do the honorable thing and be up front with our review (we've had only a couple not worth enjoying).

Any feedback good, bad or otherwise is always welcome. In the world of social media i've had a spectrum of responses...most G to PG rated and positive. But wow, when offensive stuff comes in...man is it ugly!

I'm glad to have stumbled across this forum and know i'll be learning much from all of you.

Regards,

Ryan

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 10:17:08 AM   
Jenise

Ryan, you made a similar post a few days ago. Repeating posts on the same subject won't get you more responses. So here's the thing: having tasted over 1,000 wines is a mere drop in the bucket. So while you're making a prodigious effort to taste and learn, you're at that stage every budding wine afficionado goes through where you think you know more than you really do. Not trying to be unkind, but point-blank: you just haven't had enough experience.

So while you say you're looking for feedback, the duplicity of your posts has me guessing that you're just fishing for views. And views from other newbies is really the only feedback you need in the Tik Tok world--a world I and most others who hang out on this old-fashioned forum, where it's print that matters, don't want to be part of. Good luck with your project.

< Message edited by Jenise -- 2/18/2024 2:49:43 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 10:49:57 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Ryan, you made a similar post a few days ago. Repeating posts on the same subject won't get you more responses. So here's the thing: having tasted over 1,000 wines is a mere drop in the bucket. So while you've made a prodigious effort to taste and learn, you're at that stage every budding wine afficionado goes through where you think you know more than you really do. Not trying to be unkind, but point-blank: you just haven't had enough experience.

So while you say you're looking for feedback, I'm guessing you're just fishing for views. And views from other newbies is really the only feedback you need in the Tik Tok world. Not a world I and most others who hang out on this old-fashioned forum where it's print that matters, want to be part of. Good luck with your project.

I believe that the OP is somewhere between "treading closely to a commercial post" and "a blatant commercial post."
A newbie fishing for clicks here is very bad form; many of us have sampled well over a thousand wines per year for many years.

I apologize if I have mistaken your post for something more nefarious than pure exuberance.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 5
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 2:35:39 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

This may be the second worse way to maintain tasting notes; perhaps the days of writing notes on papyrus might be worse. ...

Funny thing --- I still write nearly all my TNs on paper first, then transcribe them to CT at a later point in time. I don't see myself ever changing. But, then again, I'd probably still be using a pre-smart phone flip phone, left to my own devices!

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 6
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 3:11:35 PM   
DoubleD1969

No offense intended grafstrb! Lol

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 7
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 5:38:30 PM   
#winewithryan

1. I am not a bot
2. I was making wine videos far before my time here on Cellar Tracker
3. A couple views from forums doesn't changes anything for us
4. I am legit trying to do our own thing with wines as we have since we started making wine videos and posts since mid 2021.
5. I am actually asking you all for feedback as we would love to continue helping people find a passion for wines as we have. I don't care if we get 200 views or 2,000 views on something. What I care for more is when people reach out and ask for something specific wine related because they genuinely don't know or don't have experience with.
6. We aren't making any money from making the videos we do. It 100% is a running and growing wine library of wines we've sampled and we will continue to do so.
7. In the end of all of this...I would like our legacy to be that we were wine lovers and contributed something to it in a positive way. As I am a car fanatic, I make car videos for people now and down the road to enjoy. No money is being made off of anything and we spend time contributing to the growth of knowledge of the things we enjoy. If it is coming off the wrong way to you and the Cellar Tracker family, my apologies as that wasn't the intent.

Post #: 8
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 7:21:29 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

No offense intended grafstrb! Lol

Trust me, none taken.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 9
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/18/2024 8:12:45 PM   
#winewithryan

Maybe a better question would be:
*how do we as wine lovers help to promote the love we have for wines?
-locally people reach out to me and a couple sommeliers for wine advice given the diversity in wines
-like many of you, when we started our wine journey I had a limited palate for wine and couldn't comprehend at the time the diversity in wines, grape varietals, vintages, etc that we do now.

-I contribute every wine we consume to Vivino and post every wine pic, wine tasting and review for people to read
-We make wine videos for 50-80% of the new wines we sample with hopes it will help educate wine consumers as we are about what they are buying
-We want people like us who have budgets in mind to find the right types of wines that don't break the bank for daily consumption
-We also every so often splurge and review wines that aren't as common and are a little more expensive so we can compare what that price point or value nets a wine consumer. We've dumped bottles at $100 and the same at $10. We've loved wines at $15 and over $300.
-As a couple who loves wine, we couldn't have imagined the rabbit hole we would slide down when we started, but fallen we have gone.
-We look forward to nights and occasions where we can enjoy a bottle or two of wine....especially the ones that make your taste buds and senses explode with joy.

*Again, any advice on how we could possibly tweak our sub 60 second wine videos to help budding wine lovers is welcome.
-not everyone is built to help spread joy but we are.
-if you knew us as people you would understand...but our social media platform also gives reference to this. We are real people, doing real people things and spreading joy where we can.

*Over the next 5-20 years I cannot even imagine where our wine journey will take us but we are subscribed to this journey!

*We are also booked for our 25th wedding anniversary in the Okanagan area, BC, Canada as of hours ago to have our first real in depth wine experience here in 2024. Where we live in Canada, grapes for wine do not grow so we are wine lovers living in the wrong area for sure! We will take lots of pics and videos on this trip so we can share our passion for wine, vineyards and the experiences a trip like this can bring to people. Our journey like yours is made that much better when we are supported by one another when adhering to customs and traditions of those who enjoy wines.

-We are and will always be students of wine(s) and hope to keep growing, learning and having fun with the rest of you.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 10
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 7:21:35 AM   
MB1991

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Ryan, you made a similar post a few days ago. Repeating posts on the same subject won't get you more responses. So here's the thing: having tasted over 1,000 wines is a mere drop in the bucket. So while you've made a prodigious effort to taste and learn, you're at that stage every budding wine afficionado goes through where you think you know more than you really do. Not trying to be unkind, but point-blank: you just haven't had enough experience.

So while you say you're looking for feedback, I'm guessing you're just fishing for views. And views from other newbies is really the only feedback you need in the Tik Tok world. Not a world I and most others who hang out on this old-fashioned forum where it's print that matters, want to be part of. Good luck with your project.

I believe that the OP is somewhere between "treading closely to a commercial post" and "a blatant commercial post."
A newbie fishing for clicks here is very bad form; many of us have sampled well over a thousand wines per year for many years.

I apologize if I have mistaken your post for something more nefarious than pure exuberance.

Given the # of posts by Ryan that reference the same thing over and over in the last week all pointing to his social media, I got the same vibe.

If one was truly trying to understand the community, the best way to do it is hang out here for a few months and see how people react and respond to different topics and learn that way. This forum has been an unbelievable resource to learn more about the world of wine and understand things deeper, and there are plenty of posts on here that point people towards YouTube or Podcast content that members here find valuable. Easiest way to see why those are suggested would be to research those and understand what they do well....

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 11
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 9:30:16 AM   
Jenise

Ryan said: "like many of you, when we started our wine journey I had a limited palate for wine and couldn't comprehend at the time the diversity in wines, grape varietals, vintages, etc that we do now...I contribute every wine we consume to Vivino and post every wine pic, wine tasting and review for people to read."

Two things, Ryan.

1) Yesterday I googled your name to see what wines came up. Off the top of my head, I saw Josh Cellars, Tait Ball Buster and Layer Cake. On the west coast of the U.S., these are supermarket brands. Mass marketed if not mass-produced, crowd pleasers. There's a market for them, of course, but they're not the kind of wines sold in good wine stores. If you want to be taken seriously that's a difference you need to understand. The people here can help with that, in fact we'd be eager to: but you need to ask questions.

2) Vivino. You apparently are not aware that Vivino is essentially a competitor to CellarTracker? This is definitely not the place to boast about that. It's the biggest and most-respected data base for tasting notes in the world, created by people who really, REALLY, know wine. You may be an exception but from what I saw when I looked at Vivino years ago, the experience level there isn't in the same ballpark.

< Message edited by Jenise -- 2/19/2024 1:48:04 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 10:03:09 AM   
fingers

Ryan, I suggest somehow incorporating CT into your presentation. Easiest way would be to have a laptop next to you and tell your audience, "Let's see what CellarTracker has to say about this wine", and just briefly mention a few important attributes about the wine. There needs to be some kind of mention of CT if you're really trying to educate your audience.

Cheers
Bob

Post #: 13
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 10:13:53 AM   
KPB

Well, you certainly bring passion and knowledge to the project! I admire that.

As others have noted, this isn't really the identical community to what you find on Vivino, and perhaps they are more matched to your goals. For one thing, the discussion board here is really a pretty small crowd of active users, and mostly we post our TNs here and discuss what are hopefully interesting insights about wines or wine-regions that can someone lead to pretty esoteric threads. Beyond that, wine cellaring issues are probably the next biggest topic (building a new cellar, climate control, strange aromas, things of that kind). We don't see a lot of people who are genuinely new to wine (for that, you do better with Facebook's immense discussion groups!)

So it seems to me that you are and would be very welcome here as a wine lover with a perspective to share, but that most of us wouldn't be very likely consumers of your 60s videos. There is the question of the choice of wines, for one (already noted), but also the issue that most of us don't think of wines in terms of 60s sound-bites. In contrast, lots of us have watched long interviews or hour-long videos about terroir in the Rhone or things like that. For example, Vinous Media has hundreds of video interviews with wine makers and wine experts of various kinds, and during Covid those kept me sane. They live behind a paywall but Eric doesn't mind people talking about them, and those kinds of topics have found there way over to here now and then. Similarly, when Roy Piper (who sometimes posts here) was doing videos on the costs of making wine in Napa, a LOT of us were watching those and discussing them.

What I'm trying to get at isn't that were are a bunch of elitists but more along the lines of "our tastes are probably not representative of the really large market", whereas clearly you and your wife are aiming for mass-market interest. I applaud that -- good luck! -- but if you really were doing 60s pieces that I would watch in a fanatic way, you would definitely be missing your mark relative to getting half a million subscribers...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 14
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 12:07:17 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hi Ryan, I took a look via Instagram, my gateway drug to short video clips I think. My favorite is the talking animals via RxckstXr, or something like that.

Random wine tastings with your intro and the bit of back and forth with your wife is fine. I like the wardrobe switch ups, but not much there to pique real interest. My opinion 60 second is never enough to describe the wine well enough to sell it, which though you are not selling selling, you are selling yourselves and the platform. I am reminded of Gary Vaynerchuck's Wine Library videos. i was never a huge fan, but his energy and quirkiness made them memorable. There are plenty of other video reviewers "out there" so it is hard to stand out.

I like the food and wine and travel video clips more than the wine tasting ones honestly. Makes me want Indian food. For the wine ones, I like the front and back label views, good music selections. Maybe extend these a bit with a voice over section?

I do like your passion, but give some thought to how you want spice up (for lack of a better term) your 60second reviews.

Since you're Canadian, another of my Instagram favorites is Leroy and Leroy behind the camera, there's always something to do! https://www.youtube.com/c/LeroyandLeroy Maybe partner with Leroy and get him a bit tipsy!

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 2/19/2024 12:42:02 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 15
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 6:09:31 PM   
#winewithryan

That is the feedback we were looking for...much appreciated.
We had literally started our Social Media Journey in 2021 during Covid when i was leading the charge for Saskatchewan, Canada and our healthcare system. The wine videos were a way of diverting attention away from a very real, ugly and unknown situation in health care.
We thought we would start with red wines, entry level and sub $50 bottles for reviews. But that wouldn't last long until we would delve into White and Rose wines.
We will try some longer variant wine videos but want to keep our niche with sub 60 second videos for a quick highlight of wines if possible.
Down the road should there be more feedback for longer videos we will.
In our home locale, people know and look to us as wine guides. The vast majority buy boxed wines or won't pay more than $30 per bottle. So we are reviewing these and throwing in some more exclusive bottles as we can for those who really know and love wines.
We have been able to help influence people to buy wines int he $30-60 range that otherwise wouldn't have before and all are grateful for the recommendations as they don't understand wines.
This is a side passion for me as I spend 40-60 hours a week minimum at our local hospital doing what I do.
Car and food stuff when I have time comes into the mix....
But more importantly, where we can I strive to film 8-10 wines per month so we can fill our social media platform for locals looking for recommendations.
We are small fish but having fun. We are drinking the wines anyways and want to share with people what is great, good, mediocre or worth bypassing.

We were doing what we do long before I joined CT...so I am adapting a long series/period of time into this world and expertise.
I'll be taking all of your feedback and helping to promote wines in an elevated sense down the road but will need some time to do so as we have lots of wine videos saved that are in current format.

Regards,

Ryan and Cindy

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 16
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/19/2024 8:40:35 PM   
fingers

Ryan, the few notes you've posted on CT are well thought-out and helpful.. keep contributing there, too

Post #: 17
RE: Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback - 2/20/2024 7:40:58 AM   
#winewithryan

Thank you fingers...I will definitely spend some time on CT where I can and help to add to the wine encyclopedia you've all built and are continuing to build.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sub 60 second Wine Videos - looking for feedback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI