CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Mad mad mad mad mad mad World

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Mad mad mad mad mad mad World Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 1:26:13 PM   
Khamen

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/505082/lafite-prices-spiral-at-record-sotheby-s-hong-kong-auction

Make them stop and make them stop now. This is not sustainable and has knock-on implications for the whole wine world

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail
Post #: 1
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 1:31:08 PM   
RobRah

The cynic notes this, but still, why are they paying these prices?

< Message edited by RobRah -- 10/29/2010 1:34:12 PM >

My CT Profile

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 2
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 1:37:04 PM   
JohnNezlek

Dear K et al.,

I am not certain that the price of 1869 Lafite affects the price of an '05 du Tertre, a bottle that should certainly be decent, as an example. Admittedly, rising prices in any segment of the market can put upward pressure on prices in other segments.

I guess the only real solution is to stop buying Chinese products. No money, no crazy bidding.

J.

Too many wines, too little time.

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 3
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 1:38:24 PM   
khmark7

Not a mad world at all, just the chinese mentality regarding those wines, and while good wines, not at those prices!....just stoopid.  I'm curious to see how long this madness will continue.

I have a 2001 Carruades Lafite....the first person to give me $500 and it's yours!

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 4
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 1:40:39 PM   
RobRah

quote:

I am not certain that the price of 1869 Lafite affects the price of an '05 du Tertre...

However.....

quote:

• Two cases of 2009, which will be bottled next year (estimated at $10,000-15,000 each), fetched $68,632.
  • Five cases of 2005 (each $12,000-18,000) each brought $37,435.
  • One 2000 case ($20,000-30,000) brought $71,751; two more of the same brought $62,392 each.
  • Two 1986 cases ($12,000-18,000 each) went for $65,512.
  • An imperial (six-liter bottle) of 1982 ($25,000-55,000) found $148,182.
  • Two regular cases of 1982 ($35,000-65,000 each) each brought $132,584.
  • Six bottles of 1961 ($4,000-6,000) sold for $62,392.
  • A 1959 jeroboam (five-liter bottle, estimated at $30,000-50,000), found $171,579.
  • Three bottles of the 1949 ($5,000-8,000) got $53,034.
  • Two 1945 bottles ($5,000-10,000) brought $49,914.
  • A lone bottle of 1929 ($2,000-3,000) found $34,316.

My CT Profile

(in reply to JohnNezlek)
Post #: 5
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 1:59:15 PM   
bretrooks

Yikes...that lone bottle of 1929 Lafite went for several times what I've spent on wine over my entire wine-buying lifetime (which, admittedly, has only been a handful of years).  Hope it's good.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 6
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 2:48:24 PM   
Khamen

Folks please - a 2000 (i.e. not particularly rare) Lafite fetching $71k????? That's just not right at all. Around here that will net you around 10 cases of fully mature Margaux 1989 (100pt WS).

We are talking about a consumable here, not a permanent art installation.

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 7
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 2:56:20 PM   
NiklasW

Glad I like Languedoc wines 

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 8
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 3:36:33 PM   
Hollowine

The premise of the cellar direct auction lots of rare vintages from Lafite being sold specifically in China, in addition to the post from RobRah showing their decision to brand the 2008 vintage with the Chinese character for Eight (which IIRC is a lucky number in Chinese lore) screams one word to me...SELLOUT!

What pretentious F***s that they can get so snobish about Americans visiting their country and not speaking French, yet they bend over and spread for the Chinese with a smile on their face. I'm sorry, I'm probably over the line but they are a bunch of Wh*res. I understand Capitalism and good for them to turn on the money printing machine if that is what they want to forever be known for, but the foxy girl that puts out in High School doesn't stay desirable forever but the reputation follows her the rest of her life.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 9
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/29/2010 3:56:42 PM   
khmark7

Yes, and the capitalist way of doing things for the 2010 vintage would be that Lafite produces 3 times the normal volume of 1st growths (while sacrificing quality) and sells all the overpriced wines to China.  Don't expect any press release of that one, but it will happen.  Why focus on reduced yields and small volume quality when people are paying way way way over market share for the wines?   Clearly they are more interested in $$$$$.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 10
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/30/2010 12:56:05 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

I find it all rather amusing.
We all know the wines aren't actually that much better than numerous alternatives around the world and certainly aren't worth the prices being paid.
It's a bit like the Ferrari you wanted being sold out, don't mourn, buy another supercar, or next years Ferrari, or better still an older one; or get a Porsche - they're cheaper and better.
I guess I can be philosophical as I have a fair chunk of claret in my cellar, but when I can sell at these prices I may be even more tempted to discover the wonderful reds of California, Chile, Australia, Italy, Spain, Argentina ..........
L.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 11
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/30/2010 6:09:11 AM   
Ibetian

I love Lafite. Sharing the double mag of the 1979 with friends and family at our 25th anniversary party was the best wine experience of my life. The 1982 at Christmas dinner some years ago might have been the best wine I've ever drunk. I have quite a bit of Lafite in my cellar. If it's a bubble and prices collapse, I'll happily drink it. If prices stay where they are or escalate, I'll switch to Latour and make the Lafite a source of retirement income. Either way is fine with me.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 12
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/30/2010 11:09:59 AM   
nwinther

More power to them. I've cut out Lafite (and 1er cru in general) from my perspective a long time ago.

The main problem, as I see it, will not be over-production etc, but forged wines. With the posibility of selling thousand-dollar bottles to witless chineese billionaries, swindling will explode.

And as with everything else, there is limit to how far these things will go - although I thought we'd reached that limit already. Seems we haven't. But sooner or later, the prices must come down. Conneseurs are running away from 1er crus as they aren't really interesting anymore (QPR is just ridiculous) for serious collectors/drinkers (i.e. me! - I'm the epitome of seriousness, just so you know.). When his Bobness retires or crokes, the game will likely change. Meanwhile, other producers have long since reached fame and fortune (I hope) and 1er crus will meet some serious competition, and will have to consider prices as well.

Wishful thinking... I know...

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 13
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/30/2010 11:25:15 AM   
Khamen

Problem is I happen to love a number of these wines and try to pick them up on a regular basis. I can live without Lafite but if the phenomenon spreads to Ch Margaux (imo a better wine in most vintages) I am going to be either a sad bunny or a bankrupt...

K

Withnail

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 14
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/30/2010 10:36:41 PM   
Colonel Lawrence

Now how do I get the Chinese to fall in love with the cute little pictures on my Mouton Rothschilds?
Got lots more of them than Lafite, and even less Margaux.
L.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 15
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 10:21:46 AM   
wallstreet

I think if we understand the Chinese mentality, it would be easier to understand why they pay way over market value. It is ALL ABOUT FACE.  It is about bragging rights.  They bid big in front of their friends and show that they have the balls to pay big dollars,  they then look at their friend across the room and smile......to see if their friend has a big enough bank roll to top him. It gets to the point where it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the wine, but the right to brag that they outbid all others. This is the explanation behind those outrageously high hammer prices.

I have dealt in some circles where Chinese investors are involved. For them, being mostly NEW money, its all about showing off to their friends and business associates. For them, they would never serve or provide as a gift a "second rate" wine (in their eyes it is second rate, the rest of us would trip over ourselves to drink that wine).  It is truly unbelievable.  First off, they can actually PRONOUNCE   LAFITE.  Second , the reputation in China is that it is the BEST wine anywhere.

Most Chinese wine buyers couldn't tell the difference between Lafite and say Margaux, Talbot, Ducru, or Crapster Wine from Bordeaux.. Their palettes are not that sophisticated.  They would rather buy a crap vintage of Lafite vs. say....a top vintage Mouton or Margaux.  It is all about showing off for their friends and business guests as well as saving face in order not to be viewed as a cheapskate.  Especially when it comes to giving a gift. A Chinese businessman would NEVER give a gift, other than a first growth wine, and more specifically Lafite if they want to give them the "BEST". Lafite's second wine does very well, only because it has the name Lafite in the name, it is rather comical in all honesty.

I think most of them are moron's who truly do not understand the nuances of these fine wines and buy purely for the brand (same way some folks buy clothing.....they buy the brand, not the quality of the product).

They will learn eventually. But it will take a long time. Just like it took awhile for futures to gain any traction in China. It is all about instant gratification in China. There is more infanticide of young wines in China than anywhere else. They simply do not care, nor are they sophisticated enough. Is this a wholesale statement about all wine drinkers in China? Of course not. There most likely is a very small segment of the wine buying public who truly understand and can appreciate these fine wines. But the majority of them, have absolutely ZERO clue.

As for Lafite selling out.  Absolutely they are.  But partially, I cannot blame them. If I had a bunch of moronic buyers who are willing to pay WAY over the market value for my product. I would sell it to them in a New York minute. It is the capitalistic way.  Personally, I will never buy a bottle of Lafite.  It is just ONE bottle of wine to me, there are 1000's of others I can easily enjoy just as much. I realized a long time ago, I will never chase that "elusive" bottle. There is just too much great wine available for purchase.

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 16
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 10:59:09 AM   
Hollowine

Wallstreet, spot on and accurate in all accounts.

My only issues here at all have nothing to do with the Capitalism of Lafite (Cellar Direct auction in that market makes total business sense if they are ok no longer having the inventory in the Chateau caves) nor about the Chinese or their ability to afford, appreciate, or understand the wine; they are novices to the wine scene, it won't last forever.

My sole issues are the changing of an iconoclastic brand that has withstood centuries with wars, depressions, and other challenges, only to have them "Re-Brand" their bottle for a single market that none of the rest of the wine appreciating world takes seriously (Knowledge and palate wise) and the general prejudice of many French against foreign influence/culture which apparently can be quieted for the right price.

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 10/31/2010 11:02:25 AM >

(in reply to wallstreet)
Post #: 17
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 12:22:32 PM   
wallstreet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

Wallstreet, spot on and accurate in all accounts.

My only issues here at all have nothing to do with the Capitalism of Lafite (Cellar Direct auction in that market makes total business sense if they are ok no longer having the inventory in the Chateau caves) nor about the Chinese or their ability to afford, appreciate, or understand the wine; they are novices to the wine scene, it won't last forever.

My sole issues are the changing of an iconoclastic brand that has withstood centuries with wars, depressions, and other challenges, only to have them "Re-Brand" their bottle for a single market that none of the rest of the wine appreciating world takes seriously (Knowledge and palate wise) and the general prejudice of many French against foreign influence/culture which apparently can be quieted for the right price.

A simple explanation from a business perspective :)     It is just my opinion of course.

It is ALL about the MONEY. They probably know that this might not last in the future, so they are taking short term gains simply because of the opportunity presents itself. A little French arrogance thrown in and there you have it.  They figure, if the brand "cools" in China for whatever reason, at least they had the forethought to take advantage of the financial opportunity while it lasts. They also figure their brand outlived many a dynasty, wars, occupations, etc. This is a drop in the bucket to them. They will survive if this bubble bursts, but to not take full advantage of the situation, well, I hate to say it, would be a bad business decision on their part.   I fully expect a record number of Lafite bottlings with the Chinese symbol (I think it means good luck) to appear and the symbol was specifically selected because it has the most profound meaning when providing a business gift in China.  Quality depreciation of the wine is a strong possibility.

And the folks at Lafite are laughing all the way to the bank.

< Message edited by wallstreet -- 10/31/2010 12:24:43 PM >

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 18
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 3:17:23 PM   
pjaines

I am in the process of selling 12 bottles of Carruades de Lafite (the 2nd wine). If some muppet is willing to spend the silly money to buy them, then I am happy to sell. Both people are happy - at least until they open the bottle. I have been lucky enough to have Lafite on 3-4 occasions and whilst it is nice enough, it is not THAT nice. No wine is. I'm gonna take my $5k and buy some decent wine. Or pay for the loft-extension. This is capitalism and fashion in action and unison, a heady and dizzy combination with no rhyme nor reason.

(in reply to wallstreet)
Post #: 19
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 4:11:04 PM   
wineismylife

pj, I sent my case of 2000 in OWC to auction a few weeks ago.  It goes on the block the first or second week of December.  I'll report back.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 20
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 6:36:29 PM   
Paul S

As long as they keep away from Burgundy and Riesling...

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 21
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 6:42:26 PM   
treetops

I'm certain there are many industrious folk out there creating bottles/cases of Lafite just destined for the Chinese mainland.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 22
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 10/31/2010 9:57:57 PM   
ytsai

quote:

ORIGINAL: treetops

I'm certain there are many industrious folk out there creating bottles/cases of Lafite just destined for the Chinese mainland.

When prestine 1982 Lafites are readily available at airport duty free shops it makes one wonder....

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 23
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 7:44:49 AM   
RobRah

On a related note:

Yquem: China's next big thing?

Rob.

My CT Profile

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 24
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 12:01:03 PM   
Khamen

Well I'm glad my 24 halves of the 2001 Yquem are safely tucked up - prices seem to have gone up by about 20% in the last year or so, although wish I had picked these up EP or when Bryan did

K

Withnail

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 25
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 12:29:11 PM   
Bryan Collins

Wish I'd been buying Lafite and Carruades for the last ten years. I would now be retiring.

I must admit, my greedy side is hoping that China goes bananas for, say, Leflaive, or Prum, or Chave. I could live without my stocks of any one producer in exchange for not having a mortgage!

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 26
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 12:31:56 PM   
Bryan Collins

Oh, and if I was looking to invest in anything right now, middling vintages of Yquem would be what I'd pick. But I'm not, because a new house, a newish daughter, and another one due in March mean I can't prudently afford to speculate. Hope I don't look back at this post in three years and want to beat myself over the head with a baseball bat for being such a pussy...

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 27
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 12:39:15 PM   
RobRah

I wonder what Dee-Qem means in Cantonese or Mandarin.

My CT Profile

Post #: 28
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 2:32:05 PM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan Collins

, and another one due in March mean I can't prudently afford to speculate.

Blimey! You've been busy. Telly on the blink?

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 29
RE: Mad mad mad mad mad mad World - 11/1/2010 2:40:00 PM   
Bryan Collins

Catholic wife. Nothing I can do about it. She's more fertile than Watership Down.

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Mad mad mad mad mad mad World Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI