CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Weird smell

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Weird smell Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weird smell - 1/10/2024 11:47:43 AM   
ADemers

So a couple of days ago I noticed a smell in my cellar like cheese. I cleaned the cooling unit still it smells. I looked for leaking bottles - none and literally smelled each bottle (500+) and still did not find the cause. Neither did I find a critter or evidence of one. Has anyone ever had a similar experience or may know what is the cause?
Post #: 1
RE: Weird smell - 1/10/2024 2:04:25 PM   
sastewart

Not sure of your storage situation but I have heard of animals like mice dying in between the walls.

(in reply to ADemers)
Post #: 2
RE: Weird smell - 1/10/2024 2:47:15 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

Not sure of your storage situation but I have heard of animals like mice dying in between the walls.

From personal experience, I can assure you it suuuuuuuuucks when this happens!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 3
RE: Weird smell - 1/10/2024 3:20:14 PM   
CranBurgundy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4j7ggZqbiU

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 4
RE: Weird smell - 1/11/2024 6:15:15 AM   
DoubleD1969

Since mold is sometimes needed to make cheese, I am guessing some kind of mold which could be lurking behind the walls. Dead critters can also be the cause. Do you have a vapor barrier behind the dry wall? Is the dry wall moisture resistant?

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 5
RE: Weird smell - 1/11/2024 2:20:05 PM   
KPB

I'm wondering if you are perhaps getting some sort of sewage aroma, perhaps from a leaky pipe outside the building but close to the cellar wall?

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
RE: Weird smell - 1/11/2024 2:21:34 PM   
KPB

PS: I know an Alan Demers, currently living in Valois. I assume this isn't you?

Also, I should second the comment about rodents dying in the walls. Had that happen once, and indeed, it reeks (and for a very long time).

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 7
RE: Weird smell - 1/11/2024 5:22:51 PM   
davo22

I would speculate mold somewhere. I know we get pretty worked up about mold but show me an old world wine cellar underground that doesn't have mold somewhere on the walls or ceiling, or on the bottles. Kind of comes with the territory of high humidity in closed in spaces.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 8
RE: Weird smell - 1/14/2024 3:23:55 AM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: davo22

I would speculate mold somewhere. I know we get pretty worked up about mold but show me an old world wine cellar underground that doesn't have mold somewhere on the walls or ceiling, or on the bottles. Kind of comes with the territory of high humidity in closed in spaces.

Absolutely! I've visited countless cellars in France where the walls and ceilings (and sometimes cellared bottles of wine) were covered with mould, apparently with no negative impact on the wine. I guess it may depend on the precise species of mould, of course -- some may be harmful. (I am also uncertain about the health impact of working in such a cellar longer term...)

EDIT: the obvious difference here is the presence of an off-aroma, which can't be helping the wines. I wouldn't be worried about mould per se, but I would be worried about an off-aroma -- whatever is causing it. If it's mould, then it may be a particular mould that is problematic.

< Message edited by penguinoid -- 1/14/2024 3:40:54 AM >

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 9
RE: Weird smell - 1/15/2024 12:28:49 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: davo22

Absolutely! I've visited countless cellars in France where the walls and ceilings (and sometimes cellared bottles of wine) were covered with mould, apparently with no negative impact on the wine. I guess it may depend on the precise species of mould, of course -- some may be harmful. (I am also uncertain about the health impact of working in such a cellar longer term...)

EDIT: the obvious difference here is the presence of an off-aroma, which can't be helping the wines. I wouldn't be worried about mould per se, but I would be worried about an off-aroma -- whatever is causing it. If it's mould, then it may be a particular mould that is problematic.

Honestly, in a house, I'd rather it be a dead critter in the walls than mold. The dead critter will dry-up and stop smelling after two or three weeks. Mold is a health hazard that must be remediated, and that tends to cost $$$$.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Weird smell Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll