CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Sochi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sochi Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:02:11 AM   
annerk

What a mess. The Russian Olympic Federation should be embarrassed beyond belief. Shortages of everything from pillows to lightbulbs. Lack of plumbing, running water, potable water, electricity, and heat. Hotel rooms not finished, athletes gear held up in Customs, their government seems to be doing everything possible to make these games impossible. We won't even get into the dangerous ski/snowboard run which has taken at least two athletes out with serious injuries and caused at least one other (a Member of Team USA who was favored for the Gold) to decline to participate due to the inherent danger.

The Olympic Selection Committee needs to reassess their criteria for where the games are held, in particular look at environmental issues such as air quality along with financial capacity and proven abilities to produce large scale events.

Most importantly, I--and I believe many others--have significant concerns over terrorist threats. I can't help but think of 1972.

On a happy note, the Jamaican Bobsled Team raised the funds it needed to get to Sochi, and their equipment finally caught up with them. You just can't help but root for these guys.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel
Post #: 1
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:12:41 AM   
champagneinhand

This doesn't look good. Either does the World Cup scheduled to be held in Brazil in 3 months. Half the arenas a shells with no work being done.

I saw in Sochi that the Russians said only 3% of hotel rooms haven't been finished yet. For real? I lived in SLC during the 2002 Olympics and near Vancouver (Seattle area) during their Winter Olympics and while things took year in the processes, the places had everything ready to go way more than a couple weeks from opening ceremonies. Some estimates are saying the costs of these Olympics were 81Billion. If thats the case, I hope they never come back to the states. People in BC were losing their minds because of massive cost over-runs. I would like to go back to Vancouver to see if the transportation and other infrastructure pieces have helped the area in the long run. In SLC the light rail system is great, more resort areas are open North of SLC thanks to land swaps with the Dept of Forestry. Sundance has gone without a hitch in Park City because of renovations. I sure hope Sochi sees 81Billion improvements.

You can only hope and be thankful you don't have to be there. I too see similarities to 1972 Berlin Olympics, but Putin is no dummy, and security will be tight during the events. Heaven help anybody who gets caught trying to cross Putin. Even the mega Billionaire spent 10 years in Siberia, and was lucky to get released and flown to Germany.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 2
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:28:16 AM   
annerk

I have long advocated for the Olympics to be held in Orlando. We have infrastructure already in place. We have a time proven ability to move, house, and feed huge influxes of people from around the world.

There are already two suitable athlete village options, one utilizing the dorms at UCF, the other putting a perimeter fence around the Disney All Star resorts for 5000 rooms with food courts already there.

We already have enough buses (and soon light rail) to move half a million visitors on any given day. We have two international airports, with a third only 75 minutes away in Tampa, and extending out three hours, four more.

We have baseball fields, soon a soccer stadium, a lake that already hosts rowing and triathlon events, two arenas, and two stadiums (one being rebuilt right now), not including some smaller stadiums and arenas. We even have an Olympic style swimming facility already I. Use for competitions, and regularly host Olympic and other world-class athletes for training. (One of the Japanese teams was in my yoga studio yesterday morning for a private group lesson, last week it was a Uk Rugby team.)

We would need to build an Olympic stadium and a diving facility, that's it. Seriously. We are ready. We have commitments from corporate donors. Yet why do we keep getting passed over?

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 3
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:28:48 AM   
thesternowl

I was having this conversation with my wife the other day...the IOC along with FIFA need to stop being delusional. You can't easily "spread" these international games around. It's incredibly expensive and, these days, comes with a certain amount of social responsibility. If your country doesn't already have the infrastructure in place (stadia, hospitality, transportation, social services, etc) at least for the most part, it's downright irresponsible (read: reckless) for you to host the games. It's that simple.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 4
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:33:15 AM   
Yossarian

Apparently Sochi was the most corrupt construction project ever!

All these big events (Olympics, World Cups) have become too much of a burden with all the fluff and BS the corporate sponsors and IOC, Fifa want.

London had a great Olympics, but I'd seriously question the sanity of any city that would want it.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 5
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:34:40 AM   
annerk

Another note, why do they keep awarding games to countries with massive issues with basic human rights? Many people are boycotting the Sochi games both in person and televised due to Russia's stance on homosexuals. We won't even get into the stray dog murder issue.

Post #: 6
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 5:47:13 AM   
champagneinhand

Human rights and all sorts of issues, but I remember the boycotts of the 1980 Moscow Olympics and the Russian Boycott of the 1984 LA olympics, and it really wrecked thing for athletes who have trained hard, most of their lives for this opportunity to compete against the best, only to be told by their government, they must pass this one up, or that all the major contenders are there, but the ones from Russia/USA... Sichi and that entire area of Russia is very much different than Moscow and the pictures most Americans have in me=ind when thinking of Russia. I hope it brings the desired peace and goodwill among nations that it was designed to have. However, that being said, with all of the chaos in the Caucus mountains and next door in the Ukraine, safety needs to be a concern.

Beijing and London proved they could pull this off without too much trouble. I do agree its asinine to think you can spread such costly games throughout the growing world. The cost, corruption and politics of these events are just out of control. Its hard to believe that Brazil is still hosting the World Cup. I would seriously doubt my safety sitting in any of those arenas. When a country needs so many infrastructure fixes, and the people have massively protested the spending on the pomp and circumstance, I think the organizing body needs to take some responsibility.

In 1998, when they were seriously concerned that Nagano would have no snow for the Winter Olympics, SLC did make an offer, as they had been ready. I think places like Orlando have that built in infrastructure to accommodate such things, rather quickly. However, I do think that much of these things is all about favoritism and politicking. Nothing to do with how the games turnout. That part is for the fans and the athletes.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 7
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 6:31:33 AM   
wineismylife

Thanks for the pep talk before I head to Brazil in June.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

Post #: 8
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 7:51:10 AM   
dontime

Don't plan to watch. Can't imagine a more corrupt group than the Olympic Committee.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 9
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:12:59 AM   
BRR

It does sadden me a bit to hear so much distaste for the IOC and the resulting abstention from watching the Olympics.

Cheers!

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 10
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:18:43 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

All these big events (Olympics, World Cups) have become too much of a burden with all the fluff and BS the corporate sponsors and IOC, Fifa want.

London had a great Olympics, but I'd seriously question the sanity of any city that would want it.

There was an Olympics in London?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 11
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:24:56 AM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

quote:

There was an Olympics in London?

It made Paul run away to France to avoid missiles in his neighborhood. No kebobs for them!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 12
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:27:27 AM   
musedir

I vaguely recall some paramilitary chit chat.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 13
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:39:09 AM   
ericindc

quote:

Well, also, London has a HUGE existing infrastructure with...what 14+ football stadiums?. But if I remember correctly, there were alot of complaints in the East end of people getting pushed out, police sweeps, etc.

Did West Ham actually move into the olympic stadium?

It will be interesting to hear from a friend who is going to the opening ceremony and staying for about a week.

< Message edited by ericindc -- 2/6/2014 8:41:30 AM >

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 14
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:47:03 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime
Don't plan to watch. Can't imagine a more corrupt group than the Olympic Committee.

Never heard of FIFA?

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 15
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 8:55:22 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

We are ready. We have commitments from corporate donors. Yet why do we keep getting passed over?

Heat stroke? Hanging Chads? 85% of the country's Oxycontin sales? this?: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/weird-florida/

I kid - your state seems kind of awesome from a distance :)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 16
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 9:52:37 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

quote:

Never heard of FIFA?

+1000

Post #: 17
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 10:05:46 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

These games are a mess already, just hope it doesn't get worse. A reporter over there said it's the poorest looking 51 billion ever. Someone must have gotten bribed to allow this.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

Post #: 18
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 10:21:10 AM   
pbm

quote:

+1

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 19
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 12:20:52 PM   
annerk

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/83858374

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 20
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 2:12:25 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

quote:

Never heard of FIFA?

Most things with headquarters in Switzerland have there own reasons for headquartering there. Not pointing any fingers, but after the South africa world Cup, I thought they could pull off Brazil, but nobody expected a futbol mad country to go ballistic over expenses.

However looking at Bourdain's shows on how they have the electric and tele grid run through the corrugated tin vertical additions to the large cities, I shudder to think that all that cash is being spent on stadiums. Brazil is portrayed really well in the "City of God." This is one of the main reasons I won't travel too Brazil, that and the mass pollution of their shoreline, and so many areas where swimming is not permitted because the only sea life is bull sharks, trolling for the unpoliced shorelines. Brazil is such a beautiful place but rampant with corruption since long, long ago.

Tim, enjoy the country, but don't wander off to far away from the beaten path.

Post #: 21
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 3:35:49 PM   
rlp805

I do a lot of work with a NGB (National Governing Body) and I can tell you that common sense is often lost on the Olympic movement.

I believe that '84 LA Olympics is still one of the few that actually made money. There is a group called LA'84 that manages the money donating to youth sports around the area. They fund both teams and infrastructure development, really top notch organization and they actually operate in the black.

Orlando could do much of what LA did and they have an organization with mouse ears that is pretty good at making money, of course it may be tough to get the snow to stick....

-Richard

Post #: 22
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 3:42:25 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Andy on Vladimir

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/02/sochi-hotel-guests-complain-about-topless-portraits-of-putin-in-rooms.html

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 23
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 3:44:45 PM   
dontime

Opps...

< Message edited by dontime -- 2/6/2014 3:46:12 PM >

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 24
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 3:46:12 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: rlp805

I do a lot of work with a NGB (National Governing Body) and I can tell you that common sense is often lost on the Olympic movement.

I believe that '84 LA Olympics is still one of the few that actually made money. There is a group called LA'84 that manages the money donating to youth sports around the area. They fund both teams and infrastructure development, really top notch organization and they actually operate in the black.

Orlando could do much of what LA did and they have an organization with mouse ears that is pretty good at making money, of course it may be tough to get the snow to stick....

Heard similar about Orlando...all the taxes paid actually seem to be spent on good infrastructure, what a concept!

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to rlp805)
Post #: 25
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 9:31:06 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

Yet why do we keep getting passed over?

From what I've seen, the bobsled runs leave something to be desired.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 26
RE: Sochi - 2/6/2014 9:38:32 PM   
puppetclause

quote:

Thanks for the pep talk before I head to Brazil in June.

Brazil will be fine. They didn't build the infrastructure they promised, but it only takes a few weeks to get grass on the field. People would sit on benches if they had to. It isn't like their hiding blades in the grass that might hurt the players (an exaggeration, but obviously the sochi games aren't safe if competitors are dropping out because of the danger.)

btw - fingers crossed I see you there. Should hear about tix in the next few weeks.

< Message edited by puppetclause -- 2/6/2014 9:40:49 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 12:18:48 AM   
dsGris

The Soviets, I mean the Ruskies take their sports seriously. Now that they have embraced capitalism, they have the oligarchs just like over here that own all the teams. My Gand daughter had the honor of the first American to ski the hill last year in an East Asia meet on Sakhalin Is. last year. Quite an honor for a ten year old girl. Just remember the Canadians forgot to bring snow last time. Or was it the time before?

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 28
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 8:27:34 AM   
hellowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich
quote:

ORIGINAL: rlp805

Heard similar about Orlando...all the taxes paid actually seem to be spent on good infrastructure, what a concept!

[deleted stuff off. You don't need to hear it...]

Bask on in Olympic glory and root for your countries/teams. I will. (Shani Davis, Davis/White, Shaun White are my faves.) But I see the seedy-ugly in these things too. The world is what it is, and what is good ends up being good for only a few most of the time.

ps- Annek, if you want to get an Orlando 20xx pitch team going, I'm in! Despite all that, I would do it in a heartbeat. No doubt.

< Message edited by hellowine -- 2/7/2014 8:32:25 AM >

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 29
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 9:33:47 AM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

quote:

Yet why do we keep getting passed over?

From what I've seen, the bobsled runs leave something to be desired.

Jamaica would feel right at home!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sochi Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI