CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Best Rieslings...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Best Rieslings... Page: [1]
[Poll]

Best Rieslings...

Alsace
  62% (23)
Australia
  2% (1)
Austria
  16% (6)
Canada
  0% (0)
Finger Lakes/NY
  5% (2)
Washington/Pacific NW
  13% (5)

Total Votes : 37

(last vote on : 10/7/2013 6:31:01 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 4:18:18 AM   
S1

which do NOT come from Germany
Inspired by Karl's white wine poll and in the spirit of midsummer I thought it would be fun to discuss a wonderful and often under-appreciated grape.

I omitted California but can add it if needed. To stimulate conversation I have not qualified dry vs. sweet.

For me it is Austria followed closely by Alsace.

< Message edited by S1 -- 7/17/2013 4:20:16 AM >

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)
Post #: 1
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 4:46:15 AM   
Yossarian

The French have it for me........but then you are assuming I would have chosen the Germans in the first place.........which I think I might have done....

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 5:14:58 AM   
musedir

Fess up time... I punched PacNW out of loyalty to WA Rieslings, which are quite delicious... But I prefer Alsatian...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 5:32:20 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Not sure I've ever had a non-German European Riesling, so I'm a bit handicapped by this poll. Voted WA/PacNW which includes Oregon. I've really just started to appreciate OR Riesling, but I still have a hard time buying them based on price typically being higher than WA versions that I can get cheaply.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 6:48:24 AM   
mc2 wines

All of the above? Really depends on the mood. Lots of people do some great ones. Like the dry Aussie ones and the Austrian. Never had Oregon, but I could see those being nice. Hmmm - tough question.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 7:53:13 AM   
Wine_Strategies

A poll about Riesling that doesn't include Germany. Uh, ok.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 7:53:46 AM   
wineismylife

Alsace by a large margin.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 8:39:23 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Alsace by a large margin.

+1

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 10:03:06 AM   
grafstrb

Alsace by a country mile, which trails Germany by an oceanic mile.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 1:41:18 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb
Alsace by a country mile, which trails Germany by an oceanic mile.

It's Germany by 5 lengths, and Alsace grabs 2nd by a head!

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 5:26:16 PM   
MindMuse

Edge for Alsace over Austria.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 5:49:00 PM   
khmark7

Have enjoyed several nice Rieslings from the NY Finger Lakes, Michigan & Canada, but have only had a few from Alsace & Austria as I prefer other local varieties.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 12
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 6:02:50 PM   
champagneinhand

Alsace riesling are so much different than almost all the other as far as flavor profile. There are many in the Finger Lakes that really can knock your socks off, but because hardly any Finger Lake wineries use distributors, you simply can not get any exposure to them. For example, even when visiting the winery, you really have to ask, one of the workers that doesn't look like some local kid, if they make any Riesling that resembles the wines of Alsace or the Spatlese or botrytised wines of Germany. Many have really wonderful examples, but hold them in their libraries or ship them to people that specifically ask for them, as the basic Finger Lakes Riesling is either dry or off-dry (semi-sweet). They have a horrible track record for cooperation, and just a few wineries pool some resources for marketing, which is mainly to local restaurants. Yep, a former top chef, is trusted with a marketing job. Go figure?

I'm sure that in some smaller wineries in the PNW might have similar issues.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 6:15:38 PM   
Zweder

Usually I do not comment or participate in polls on this forum. I am not from the US, but from Antarctica; (read  Europe ) so my input is not always very useful. In this case I make an exception, although I don’t know how well available Austrian wines are in the US. I do understand that/why Alsace is the winner, although I hardly drink/taste wines from Alsace anymore. By experience I have learned that many Alsatian wines have too much sweetness and too little focused minerals compared to German Riesling and I am just not such a big fan of too sweet wines that are supposed to be dry. I think that in the US sweetness is more accepted/wanted/appreciated. Please correct me if I am wrong.  But…. if you are a fan of German Riesling and you would like to commit adultery; try Austria. That can be a pleasant surprise .

< Message edited by Zweder -- 7/16/2013 6:17:24 PM >

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 14
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 6:21:25 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zweder

Usually I do not comment or participate in polls on this forum. I am not from the US, but from Antarctica; (read  Europe ) so my input is not always very useful. In this case I make an exception, although I don’t know how well available Austrian wines are in the US. I do understand that/why Alsace is the winner, although I hardly drink/taste wines from Alsace anymore. By experience I have learned that many Alsatian wines have too much sweetness and too little focused minerals compared to German Riesling and I am just not such a big fan of too sweet wines that are supposed to be dry. I think that in the US sweetness is more accepted/wanted/appreciated. Please correct me if I am wrong.  But…. if you are a fan of German Riesling and you would like to commit adultery; try Austria. That can be a pleasant surprise .

I'll agree that Austria makes a very good Riesling, but again, the sweet versions shouldn't be grouped with the dry. I have had Berrenauslese from Austria and it was well done. I have had dry from Austria and you are very astute as to the mineral base. It really is comparing apples and carrots.

Sweeter riesling are making a comeback in Germany. Blame the Brits for sharing the sweet tooth. I guess the Russians have a penchant for the sweet things too. An aged sweet wine seems to blend more together and the RS isn't the dominating factor. I hate cloying dessert wines, but the best ones seem to float between your teeth and just off the tongue and insides of ones mouth.

< Message edited by champagneinhand -- 7/16/2013 6:22:03 PM >

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Zweder)
Post #: 15
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 7:35:45 PM   
Jack667

Where's Chick (ob2s) when we need him?
:)

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

Post #: 16
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/16/2013 9:20:56 PM   
fanglangzhe

What's the point of not including Germany? IMO based on the rieslings I've had, Germany is far ahead of anyone else. And New Zealand should be in the list.

Here would be my ranking:
1. Germany
2. Alsace
3. Austria
4. New Zealand
5. The rest

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 17
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/17/2013 12:42:13 AM   
DK Amateur

I hesitate to put Austria before Alsace but I gave up Alsace a long time ago because of the prices. I greatly liked Weinbach's Schlossberg 1993 sometime in the 1990s but never felt really comfortable with Clos Ste Hune or Zind Humbrecht.

/Carsten

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 18
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/17/2013 4:24:19 AM   
S1

The point of the poll was to survey the best Riesling made outside of Germany.
That's why I didn't include Germany.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to DK Amateur)
Post #: 19
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/17/2013 5:08:40 AM   
musedir

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 20
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/17/2013 6:47:25 AM   
GalvezGuy

Well aged Aussie Riesling can be pretty spectacular and almost impossible to find. The top examples don't seem to make it here.

For me with that list, given what we can get.

Austria
Alsace
PNW
Finger Lakes

If good Australian Riesling were more common, I would put it right behind the Germans.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 21
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/17/2013 2:42:41 PM   
champagneinhand

Hugel makes a very affordable and good mineral laden Riesling in Alsace. You might give them a try if cost is an issue. Hugel has 3 levels of pricing. Entry, best value qpr through Jubilee which is the most pricey and least qpr. Hugel has been doing Alsace for quite a long time. Alsace is up in the air right now, because long time leader of their world presence or marketing wiz, Lucien Albrecht is out of the business. His alsace wines were dirt cheap, and the market just wasn't there for them, especially at the high end on dry wines. I too like Weinbach, love Z-H for their oiliness, especially SGN. Trimbach is very good too and has several pricing levels.

I really think Riesling can be done so many different ways and is a wonderful grape that expresses itself in so many different ways. I'll try to bring a few down to
Charleston that are from the F.L. region, and we can try some of the more marquis vineyards and some of the more mineral driven wines. Ravine wine cellars makes a very dry riesling loaded with mineral.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 22
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/17/2013 8:51:40 PM   
Paul S

Alsace - Trimbach alone will carry the crown, although there are a host of other great names.

I am surprised by the lack of love for Austria though!

Post #: 23
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/18/2013 12:21:16 AM   
MindMuse

Love Austrians. But much too scarce, and thereby dear in the U.S.
Zweder, flummoxed by your sweet Alsatian comment, as other than VT/SGNs every Alsace Riesling I've had in US is at or near bone dry.

I am signed up for a Finger Lakes Region program at the Society of Wine Educators conference in a couple of weeks. It won't be just Rieslings. We actually spent our honeymoon in the Finger Lakes and visited wineries. But wow, that was a long, long time ago. Only one I've had in the past five years is the excellent Konstantin Frank.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 24
RE: Best Rieslings... - 7/18/2013 4:17:44 AM   
Zweder

Of course there are nice Rieslings in Alsace. The names mentioned in this thread belong to the best producers, and I can add e.g. Paul Blanck and Schoffit. Maybe in the US only the better wines are available. I know Alsace quite well; have travelled there quite much in the late 80’s and 90’s. Even worked there to help with the harvest. Many of the smaller producers think that, to keep sales high, they have to produce basic “dry” wines with some residual sugar. And I also can add that possibly the trend is turning, because you see really dry wines more often nowadays. Good news as far as I'm concerned.

< Message edited by Zweder -- 7/18/2013 4:18:59 AM >

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Best Rieslings... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI