CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Seattle CT group drank various wines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Seattle CT group drank various wines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/1/2015 6:12:42 PM   
hankj

ANd it was a lot of fun, lots of good wines, maybe the most that we've liked every in one tasting. Will someone who took better notes report on it? Hopefully :)

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry
Post #: 1
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/1/2015 7:54:42 PM   
skifree

It really was a lot of fun last night. Given that Barb and Heather were not present, kind of ironic that a 2009 No Girls Syrah came in first place in the tasting.

1995 Etude: Etude means "study, practice, preparation, schooling". Excellent wine, but Girls have always trumped Study for me in real life.

Cowboy beans, kale salad, roast turkey, cheese and bread, prosciutto/apple/gorgonzola on crostini, meatballs, pasta penne Bolognese, turkey wraps, various dark chocolates. We ate well for a potluck.

Loved the 2005 BV Latour - nice surprise.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 2
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/1/2015 11:13:49 PM   
hankj

I thought the 2005 Carriere Pinot was just outstanding, and I'm pretty picky about OR Pinot. Thought is Sonoma Pinot blind. I'd buy for to cellar for sure!

Surprisedse the Amarone (Speri?) came in last - Amarones do so poorly in our blind tastings, but the second I know it's Amarone then it makes sense and seems much better.

Didn't hate the No Girls by any stretch but when we all were sure it was Cayuse I felt weird putting it 5th out of 9. Wondered if my palate was burning out on Cayuse somehow. Glad it turned out to be No Girls - lots of Cayuse character but missing the magic somehow.

I think Ron was right that the Paleo might have been just a little corked - tiniest bit musty and just seemed a little off. Either that or it's just not that great of a wine.

Happy to see the Bastide Miraflores finish in the middle - $12 bottle that hung in there nicely - and College Cellars finish near the top. Scott and I nailed it style-wise - WA BDX blend, good quality but quite manufactured, funny we debated was it Col Solare or Long Shadows.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 3
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/2/2015 7:04:53 AM   
f22nickell

I seem to have misplaced my notes from Tuesday night ... Wonder if I accidentally* locked them in the Amaroso room ... One last place to check when I get home.

My (poor) recollection/impressions were:

1) I like aged CA Cab, but 20 years is pushing the envelope ... Loved the 95 Etude, but it was on the downside.
2) TOTALLY thrown off by the Amalie Robert Estate ... I've had that particular bottle, yet I wasn't even sure it was Pinot in the blind
3) While technically not a Cayuse label, the No Girls Syrah was indistinguishable and my favorite of the line up ... I just love that style.
4) Confirmed (once again) I do not like Grenache, GSM, or CdP wines ... The only wine I had to do a spit/rinse to get the taste out of my mouth

GREAT food selection! Although I really enjoyed most of the wines, I think the food was my FOTN ...

* - inside joke

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 4
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/2/2015 8:30:53 AM   
hankj

It is remarkable Scott how you uniformly are actually repulsed by GSM's and many reds from southern parts of France. Something in your physical instrument is exceptionally keyed to repulsion at these wines. It's not like you just don't like it but whatever - more like a kid with brussel sprouts were they actually taste bitter way more strongly and they really are disgusting to them. I knew you'd hate that wine, knew Freelon and Jeff would like it. Funny how well we know each other's palates now.

The BV Latour I knew Freelon would be all about! It's not exactly my style of Napa - pretty much every masculine aspect of Left Bank BDX in high concentration - but more clear-channeled and not quite the wall of heat and bitter I get from big, dry, extracted WA Cabs. It certainly let's you know it's a higher-end wine the way it drinks. Pretty good stuff.

I think I agree Scott on the 1995 Etude, which has some similar aspect to the BV Latour but softer and more lightly done. I preferred the BV but did like it, probably would have preferred it if it had been 5 or 10 years younger. So much fennel and anise in the way that comes out sometimes as fruit drops out! Very good though still - I had it 3rd or 4th and called it an older Supertuscan in the blind.

The Amalie Robert had a lot of pop for how light-bodied it was - for a minute I thought is this Nebbiolo? Then set it down and smelled it again and knew it was Willamette. Good wine too! By my last taste though as we were shuffling out it seemed to be failing apart - definitely I'd buy this at Costco just to drink, not hold, not for long anyway.

< Message edited by hankj -- 4/2/2015 8:31:21 AM >

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 5
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/2/2015 8:39:52 AM   
Sourdough

Super comments and discussion guys! Keep it up! How many of you attended?

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 6
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/2/2015 7:40:59 PM   
jrockman

Nine of us this time; if all made it at one time, we would have 15, I think. BBR hasn't made it in some time - he is missed and will be welcomed back when time allows him to return.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 7
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/2/2015 7:52:23 PM   
Sourdough

Sounds like a great group and tasting! Bravo!

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 8
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/3/2015 8:00:04 AM   
hankj

its a great bunch to be sure, usually packed like sardines around our no longer big enough tasting table. This month I missed the absent peeps but did get reacquainted with my elbows.

a month ago we did ten good Willamette Pinots blind - Scott Paul (F22 supplied it, knows the make and model) absolutely crushed the field, I think putting in the lowest (= best) winning score we've ever had, like all firsts but for two second? My very short Willamette list of wines I'd cellar right now is Scott Paul, J.K. Carriere, Elk Cove at the right price. At my snails-pace buying likely won't fill in a couple of cases of those for a while, but w/o our group opening OR Pinots regular I'd have no clue what fits my palate and how that might cellar.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 9
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/3/2015 8:50:59 AM   
f22nickell

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

its a great bunch to be sure, usually packed like sardines around our no longer big enough tasting table. This month I missed the absent peeps but did get reacquainted with my elbows.

a month ago we did ten good Willamette Pinots blind - Scott Paul (F22 supplied it, knows the make and model) absolutely crushed the field, I think putting in the lowest (= best) winning score we've ever had, like all firsts but for two second? My very short Willamette list of wines I'd cellar right now is Scott Paul, J.K. Carriere, Elk Cove at the right price. At my snails-pace buying likely won't fill in a couple of cases of those for a while, but w/o our group opening OR Pinots regular I'd have no clue what fits my palate and how that might cellar.

It was a 2008 Scott Paul Cellars Pinot Noir Audrey

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 10
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/3/2015 9:22:21 AM   
Sourdough

Wish I could have joined you for the PN tasting. You had some I haven't had. So many down there are at least fair to good and that makes planning trips a bit tricky. I was there last month butwas mainly introducing a friend to wines he can get in Texas. Still, did a couple of new winereies and found a tiny keeper!

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 11
RE: Seattle CT group drank various wines - 4/3/2015 10:09:06 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

Nine of us this time; if all made it at one time, we would have 15, I think. BBR hasn't made it in some time - he is missed and will be welcomed back when time allows him to return.

Thanks, jrockman! I really regret my inability to make these tastings recently. Nobody to blame but me, obviously. Weeknights are just a challenge in Casa BRR. This sounds like a very interesting tasting indeed. Would love to try some of the PN at some point. I'm intrigued!

Cheers!

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Seattle CT group drank various wines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI