CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries - 1/11/2018 12:56:05 PM   
jhannah27

Hi All!

Been awhile since I have posted, but I need some help to those of you who know the Central California Coast well. I am leading a work summit coming up in February. We will be in the Santa Maria area and so as a fun excursion, I wanted to set up a winery and vineyard tour.

Any recommendations? Someplace that is accommodating to a group of 12-15 people, most of whom are not educated on wine.

Thanks!

-- Jeremy

Post #: 1
RE: Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries - 1/11/2018 1:21:00 PM   
Fire Bill

Lompoc Wine Ghetto. 36 tasting rooms in 2 block area in Lompoc. Relatively close to Santa Maria

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 2
RE: Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries - 1/11/2018 1:22:45 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

Hi All!

Been awhile since I have posted, but I need some help to those of you who know the Central California Coast well. I am leading a work summit coming up in February. We will be in the Santa Maria area and so as a fun excursion, I wanted to set up a winery and vineyard tour.

Any recommendations? Someplace that is accommodating to a group of 12-15 people, most of whom are not educated on wine.

Thanks!

I would say for sure Foxen Winery on Foxen Canyon Road. There are actually two tasting rooms. Foxen 7200 and Foxen. The 7200 tasting room is in an old barn and it's really cool. The main Foxen tasting room is really modern and great. Focus on Pinot Noir, especially their single vineyards: Julias, La Encantada, Bien Nacido Block 8 and Bloc 43, Fe Ciega, Sea Smoke, John Sebastiano and Soloman Hills. Their Syrah's are decent but not great. Chardonnay I'm not a fan of but give it a try. 7200 has some decent Merlot and Cabernet if available. Some of their Sangiovese blends are just average.

Also, I would hit up Melville Winery. Excellent Pinot Noir (especially single vineyards) and Syrah (Donna's is excellent). I haven't had their Chardonnay but would think it would be good. You are close to Los Olivos/Lompoc/Buellton/Santa Ynez Valley just South of Santa Maria. There are excellent wineries there. Los Olivos has Longoria and Samsara, both are excellent producers. Buellton has a Loring tasting room and Lompoc has Brewer Clifton. Just North of Santa Maria is Edna Valley which has Talley, Chamisal, Kynsi and Tolosa. All are worth a visit. My favorite is Chamisal, small in a little barn and they make great Pinot, Syrah and Chardonnay.

Letitia is also in the area in Arroyo Grande. Let me know if you have any other questions. I know this area very well and have been there numerous times. You are right in the heart of Bien Nacido so seek out the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from this vineyard.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 1/11/2018 1:24:23 PM >

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 3
RE: Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries - 1/11/2018 1:24:03 PM   
GalvezGuy

Hey Jeremy,

I am pretty sure that Fess Parker would be able to accommodate something like that. They have a large indoor area, vineyards right there and a decent enough selection. Some of the wines are pretty darn good others tend to be plonk. Stick with Chards Pinot and Syrah and you should be OK.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Fire Bill)
Post #: 4
RE: Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries - 1/11/2018 6:08:25 PM   
CaliRed

How far are you willing to drive? There are numerous tasting rooms in Santa Maria, but I am not familiar with any of them.
If you are willing to drive 15-20 minutes.....Riverbench is considered Santa Maria and have good chards and Pinots. It is at the northern most section of Foxen Canyon. Could keep going south to Demetria Estates. Beautiful grounds and they offer Chardonnay, rose, GSMs, Syrahs, and other red blends. May need an appointment. Laetitia, as previously mentioned, would be great for your crowd. Only issue is the entrance and exit is onto the 101 freeway.
If you are willing to drive down to Lompoc or up to Paso, that opens the door to 100's of great wineries.
Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 5
RE: Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries - 1/11/2018 8:44:39 PM   
jmcmchi

For the group you describe, Andrew Murray could be a good option - he also has the old Curtis property so you can get a range to satisfy beginners and geeks

(in reply to CaliRed)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Santa Maria, CA Area Wineries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI