CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Florida wine cellar questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Florida wine cellar questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 11:58:24 AM   
smagowan

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to move from Vermont to Jupiter, Florida later this year and will be buying a home down there sometime next year.

We have looked at a number of homes, but they all seem to have either small wine fridges or single Eurocave refrigerator-type set up. We have a 550 bottle walk-in room that we had built in our basement in VT. Because of the lack of basements, I am trying to figure how we can best replicate our set up in Florida.

The questions on the top of my mind are:

1) Where do people typically put a wine room in a Florida house with no basement? Do you build them in garages and make sure you have a generator in case of power loss? Do you build them as part of a study in the house and vent them outside? It was so easy to pick a space and build one in VT that I am befuddled about what to do. If you have a design for a wine room you have built and are willing to share, that would be great. We currently have a 10 * 6 * 10 walled and insulated space with a 2 * 2 glass window, an insulated glass door, redwood shelving and various maple accents. We really love it.

2) If you have used a contractor (I am not capable of building this myself; I have never met a straight line that I could not draw crooked) who covers northern Palm Beach County could you send me a recommendation of who to use or a warning of who not to use?

3) If you have built a room in south Florida, is there any other advice you can give? What did you wish you had known before you went ahead with construction?

Thank you for any help,

Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 1:10:32 PM   
cigar52

Steve,

We moved a similar collection to Florida (Sarasota). After looking at a few options we decided to buy a 550 bottle Vinotech and have a cabinet maker surround the unit as part of our dining room. The local cabinet people did a great job of matching the unit into their cabinets. I wish I could attach a picture to show the final product.

(in reply to smagowan)
Post #: 2
RE: Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 1:23:56 PM   
S1

a Eurocave and
https://www.imperialwinestorage.com/

15-20 minutes from Jupiter.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to smagowan)
Post #: 3
RE: Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 1:28:04 PM   
champagneinhand

Hi Steve.

When looking at a move to Orlando, which never happened, we planned on using a downstairs bedroom that would have been lined with specialty dry wall with a big insulation factor including the ceiling and a raised floor. A cooler that vented to the outside and covered up the windows with a high insulation covering or possible airport style glass.

It was a huge cost factor. One we could never hope to recover. But then the housing market he went stale, and we didn't want to disrupt our daughter in between middle school and high school. We were looking at the Mills district ir Winter Park. It would have been very pricey. But I've learned to travel to warm island destinations or South of the border. Last year was Nica. This Winter pissibky the Mountains of Mexico in the Qurertaro region as I have made a friend that will put me up for next to nothing.

Good luck with the move. S1 should be able to tell you how drycab (RIP) had his cellar set up in Jupiter. Might want to message him in tat.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 4
RE: Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 4:17:19 PM   
smagowan

Thank you for responding! How did you vent the fan on the Vinotemp? Did you just leave space inside the larger cabinet?

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 5
RE: Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 4:18:24 PM   
smagowan

S1,

I am going to use IWS when we move down. Thanks for the recommendation!

Steve

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 6
RE: Florida wine cellar questions - 7/26/2017 7:04:18 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: smagowan

S1,

I am going to use IWS when we move down. Thanks for the recommendation!

Steve

I'll be there in the next few days.
I'll tell them to expect you.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to smagowan)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Florida wine cellar questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI