CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 10:46:38 AM   
ericindc

I tend to like Blanc de noirs (BdN) young, and blanc de blanc (BdB) with some age. So whats everyone's favorites. Any price point.

I really like Jean Laurents non-vintage BdN Champagne for basic champagne. On the slightly higher end, I would say Clouet's 1911 Champagne cuve. For American Sparklers, I like Gloria Ferrer. I havent tried my ultramarine BdN yet.

My style preference is a heavier, yeasty style of sparkler.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.
Post #: 1
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 10:49:35 AM   
annerk

Schramsberg has a great BdN sparkler.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 10:54:25 AM   
oskiwawa

NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Noirs Les Crayères. Really nice stuff

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 2:25:40 PM   
fingers

Seconded on the Egly-Ouriet. Also Cedric Bouchard, Marie Courtin, and Louis Nicaise all score high with me.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 3:53:47 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

Egly-Ouriet

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Egly-Ouriet

For a second, I thought you guys were talking Pig Latin.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 6:02:23 PM   
khmark7

Don't drink much BdN, but when i visit Michigan i always seek out the L. Mawby BdN as it's affordable and always well made.

The majority of my Champagne is NV Brut and vintage, with a healthy supply of Michigan & NY state sparklers.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/10/2017 9:48:35 PM   
forceberry

Bollinger's VVF, hands down. I've yet to taste a young Champagne more impressive.

With the more reasonably priced producers, the aforementioned Marie Courtin and Egly-Ouriet are definitely among the best. Francis Boulard and Marguet produce also some really stunning stuff.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/11/2017 3:14:24 AM   
S1

+1 on Bolli and C Bouchard

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/11/2017 3:41:27 AM   
Jenise

Gloria Ferrer is fine for the price but I find most easily available Americans at that price point fairly interchangeable. Going up in price a bit, a vintage dated Taittinger from California a few years ago was a definite step up. I used to like Schramsberg out of California and Argyle out of Oregon, but I haven't had a decent bottle of either in probably 15 years. Either the quality's gone way down or my standards have gone way up, but in conversation with others I know I have company thinking it's not just me. Best BdN I've had from any domestic producer has been Analemma out of Washington state. Just drank my last 2010. However, at $50+ it's a hard sell when you can purchase Egly-Ouriet for less.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 9
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/11/2017 4:23:27 AM   
Franklin 10

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Don't drink much BdN, but when i visit Michigan i always seek out the L. Mawby BdN as it's affordable and always well made.

This.

L. Mawby with 100% estate grapes and all Méthode Champenoise is easily my most consumed (and shared) producer though we do drink more of the BdB and blends.

< Message edited by Franklin 10 -- 12/11/2017 4:26:30 AM >

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/11/2017 4:23:55 AM   
forceberry

I've had a few stunners from Schramsberg in the past few years, in my books they're one of the very few producers making superb Champagne-style bubbly outside Champagne.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler - 12/11/2017 4:33:23 AM   
Jenise

Stunners? Surprises me to hear based on the few we've had in the last 15 years--it is, btw, a sentimental favorite because my husband and I drank quite a bit of it when we first met so we keep going back to it. The bubbles are larger and less persistent, and the flavors more simplistically opulent--all in all more mass market style.

A superb California producer of bubbles is Flying Goat winery who are located in the same ghetto as Loring, Arcadian and others in Lompoc, California. They're just not commonly available at retail. Loved, just loved, some from a newish California producer called Knot--we went through two cases over the last three or four years of their Halyard. However that was a BdB--I'm sure they also made a BdN but I never got to try it. Does anyone know if they're still in business? Given the quality of what we had, and it was just their NV, and the buzz I heard from friends in Napa I thought they'd go big but I've never seen another bottle.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite blanc de noirs sparkler Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI