CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Ordering online vs the local shop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Ordering online vs the local shop Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 7:01:52 PM   
mtpisgah

I have a couple of local shops that may not always have a great selection, but can sometimes order what I want. Sometimes their prices are better than online retailers, sometimes they are not. Recently I asked one of them to get me a few bottles and they came back with a price that sounded good but he said the distributor was sometimes a little high. I checked WSPro and the shops price was actually better than that on WSPro so I told him to order six. It will be a month or more before they come in, I could cancel before they ship to the shop.

A couple of weeks later I received an email from an online retailer with a better deal, to the point that it would be almost a free bottle. I think I am going to stick with the local guy because I want to support him, but an extra bottle of $60 wine on a six pack is an extra bottle.

Are you willing to pay a little more to support the local shops or are you a lowest price wins kind of person?

Edited to add: winery direct does not come into play here. This is subject to buying wine either at a shop or online.

< Message edited by mtpisgah -- 6/8/2018 4:31:45 PM >

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.
Post #: 1
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 7:08:22 PM   
champagneinhand

I’ll pay a bit more if the local shop orders what I want and has the same provenance. Usually if I have a corked bottle my locals take it back and give me credit, no questions asked.

Though I built a ton of my cellar through JJB much more has come from my 4 very good local shops as well as some that are a few metroplexes over but offer free in-state shipping or just carry what I want.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 2
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 8:23:33 PM   
CranBurgundy

Luckily, there are lots of great wine shops in NJ so I'll give them my business. I've also bought from PA and DE shops too. I generally order on-line only if it's a product I can't get in the tristate region, like maybe backfilling older vintages. However, when there's as big a difference as you're talking about Paul, I'd have a hard time staying local - especially if that difference is after shipping costs.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 3
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 8:27:36 PM   
desertwine

Virtually all online. Local shops pretty much suck in NM other than Total Wine and while we do spend money there, it is more often out of immediate need...ie... I didn't bring enough from home.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 8:27:44 PM   
asajoseph

Back in the UK, I'd tend to go to my local independent retailer for the day-to-day drinking wines & single-bottle purchases. Wasn't much overlap with the local chain retailers, which were also good, but the prices were probably a little on the high side. That said, I really enjoy the retail experience, so have always tried to buy wine like this wherever possible. Wines for the cellar though, I'd purchase in bond - either online, or over the phone through a merchant / broker.

Now that I'm in Aus, finding anything but Australian wine & a small selection of expensive French / Italian is hard in the chain stores. However, I have recently found a local (to work) independent, that has an incredible range (by Australian standards, anyway) of world wine. The problem is, this same store offers a 10-15% discount for purchases online, and free delivery over $150, which really discourages me from shopping in the store - I really enjoy the browsing experience, but it's not worth the extra money!

I love all the B's: Bordeaux, Barolo, Burgundy, and Bloody good Shiraz!

My Cellar

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 5
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 8:31:00 PM   
cigar52

We have a great local wine shop with the lowest prices I can find. Belong to a few wine clubs for unusual hard to find wines, but generally buy locally.

(in reply to asajoseph)
Post #: 6
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 8:48:51 PM   
jmcmchi

I'd guess 75% of my purchases are direct from the winery, the rest split between Costco and On-line (mainly Garagiste)

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 7
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 9:21:41 PM   
skifree

Locally always is more expensive here in Washington, so the bulk of my purchases are online.

I do buy locally for wines that are hard to find, such as Huet or Domaine Baudry from the Loire, and buy direct from the wineries I support as well.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 8
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 9:22:55 PM   
asajoseph

So much of my wine only exists on spreadsheets / in CT - wine I've bought online, and stored in a bonded warehouse, and never actually seen. Schroedinger's cabernet, anyone?

It's a tactile product, isn't it? I'd love to buy all my wine in a store, and store it in a cellar - fortunately, that reality is not too distant any more (at least the second half)

< Message edited by asajoseph -- 6/7/2018 9:23:32 PM >

I love all the B's: Bordeaux, Barolo, Burgundy, and Bloody good Shiraz!

My Cellar

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 9
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/7/2018 10:11:08 PM   
Jenise

Absolutely support the little local guy. I live in a small town of under 100,000. It's 80 or so miles to the next wine store. Sure, I can buy at Costco and occasionally do, plus I buy on line for things I can't get here, but when I'm shopping locally I'm doing that to support my community and trying not to look at or compare prices. Price isn't the point.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 10
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 3:09:30 AM   
dontime

I support local shops when I can, but the majority of what I buy these days is direct from the winery.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 11
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 3:24:20 AM   
racerchris

40% of what I buy is from two Total Wine stores within a short distance from work/home.
Another 20% comes from one local store.
The rest is split between west coast wineries, other local stores, and online sources within a 200 mile radius.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 12
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 4:04:47 AM   
S1

The local little guys do very little to earn my business (poor selection/no discounts). And these guys are my friends--still no breaks even though they know how much I buy, and the price point at which I buy. I buy almost 100% online.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 13
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 5:38:29 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

I support local shops when I can, but the majority of what I buy these days is direct from the winery.

This. Edit: By this I am meaning my upcoming change of residence to A’ville as there are several very good LWS, not to be equated to the virtual desert for wine options in eastern Alabama (Birmingham & Mobile do have better options).

< Message edited by musedir -- 6/8/2018 9:14:37 AM >

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 14
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 7:13:27 AM   
MaineMark

I am (essentially) 100% on line purchases.

For me, I enjoy the on-line experience experience. I like to research. I like to read. I like to price compare. If I do all of that before walking into a local wine store, they never have exactly what I want.

The ideal wine-shopping experience for me would be: read about and research a wine online; visit wine-searcher and discover it is available at a local store; purchase at the local store, even if it is a bit more. HOWEVER, I have bought hundreds of bottles of wine on-line and researched thousands, and never ONCE has any retailer in my state (Maine), let alone Metropolitan area, ever shown up.

That makes buying on-line an easy decision for me.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 15
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 7:59:17 AM   
mclancy10006

I buy from local or winery direct mainly over the last 2 years.

60% from wineries directly.

31% from local shops (one of which I buy online website and go pickup in store the others are often via email offers)

5% from Internet retailers
the rest are private sales (or trades) and auctions.

Lifetime winery direct is like 42% winery, 40% local

-Mark

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 16
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 8:13:46 AM   
Franklin 10

We have a great LWS in Indy: Big Red Liquors (name has changed from United Package Liquors via M&A). It is a large chain with a few “fine wine” branches.

I get great recommendations with very good pricing and service. While I enjoy browsing in general, I won’t buy retail except in unusual circumstances (travelling, crazy sale, unusual find) except at my favorite LWS where I get case discounts on anything I buy in any quantity based on a strong purchase history which represents about 25% of my total purchases. I took my daughter in yesterday as she was shopping for a birthday celebration and she walked out with a 2006 Dom Perignon and same vintage Pierre Gimonnet Blanc de Blancs for under $200.

The selection, of course, is a little limited but there’s enough local enthusiasm that if distributors have something interesting, they’ll grab it and let folks like me know. They’ll do some fun tastings as well.

I enjoy the relationships and also have a trust to the point where I don’t really need to question a “strong buy” recommendation from my best contact there.

I do enjoy direct purchases and like to support the wine makers. I also buy from Full Pull pretty consistently wines I wouldn’t be able to get otherwise. I do some online auctions for older vintages.

< Message edited by Franklin 10 -- 6/8/2018 8:16:26 AM >

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 17
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 9:07:14 AM   
DoubleD1969

When I was in the accumulation stage, I probably bought 60% of wines from local-owned shops like Gary's and Zachys, 15% from Costco, 20% from wineries.

Since I've been mostly in a drinking mode where I drink 2, buy 1 with age, I'm not going to the local sources as much. However white wines are a category that I don't have too many laying around and gets depleted quickly. So I definitely buy those locally.

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 18
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 9:19:54 AM   
mtpisgah

I guess I should have specified that this was in regards to a non US wine, so winery direct is not applicable, most of my US wine is winery direct. I like being able to support the local guys since that is where I go for tastings and sometimes he gets me special deals, but overall I purchase online due to availability and price.

Still not sure what I will do on this purchase, but I will probably stick with the local guy.

Paul

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 19
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 10:32:49 AM   
musedir

Well Maison Harbour is winery direct... or is it?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 20
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 10:47:50 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

Still not sure what I will do on this purchase, but I will probably stick with the local guy.

Did you tell the local retailer about the offer you received? Maybe he'll work with you to bring his price closer to that internet price.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 21
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 10:51:33 AM   
PinotPhile

Since you asked about non-US wine, I'll put in my two cents. I have ordered a case of Chilean juice where the vintner goes through a US service for fulfillment. That is the sum total of my non-domestic online purchases. For domestic, I am shifting more to winery-direct for those where I've tasted and want to support. That said, we do have 2 LWS that I use regularly for non-US wine. One is very convenient for Dear Husband to stop by after his volunteer work. Another is a bit out of the way, but worth the occasional jaunt.

Taking a quick look at the cellar-level wines, <20% were purchased at LWS or TW. Rest were winery direct, either online or in person. Didn't realize the shift was quite so dramatic.

Haven't been to a Total Wine for a while, as we have so much juice here it isn't necessary.

I do purchase wines at LWS where I've visited the winery. Sometimes the LWS has much-better-than-winery-direct. Don't pass that up; too frugal to do so.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 22
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 10:58:49 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Direct.

He does have distribution on the US side, but I wire money to France so IMHO that is direct as it gets. :)

-M

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 23
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 11:06:46 AM   
fingers

Despite having several of the countries top stores (Hi-Times, Wine Exchange, K&L, Woodland Hills, etc, etc) within easy range, over 90% of my buying is online/direct.

So there you go... I’m lazy and anti-social.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 24
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 11:09:00 AM   
recotte

I'm fortunate in that two of my local wine shops frequently have the best--or very competitive--winesearcher prices. I often order online, then pick up in store. So I guess I'm checking both boxes--ordering online and patronizing my local purveyors of fine wine.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 25
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 12:03:47 PM   
bretrooks

Here, local shops tend to be small, with prices on the high end and/or selections loaded with just local/central coast wines. Then there are chain stores like BevMo and Costco (plus a couple of grocery stores with ok selection). I haven't found the local shops to have attractive selections at varied price points, and that's kind of a killer since we do a lot of buying at price points below what most local wineries deem their wine to be worth.

As it is, I support a couple of favorite local wineries with direct purchases, purchase a handful of cases per year online (mostly K&L or Wine Exchange), and shop opportunistically at various local stores whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 26
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 12:05:51 PM   
hankj

I love to buy at local shops, and in Seattle there are a lot of them. But for me the biggest barrier is traffic. It's just painful to drive anywhere in this city now that we've added 200k people in 7 years with the same infrastructure. Add to that that now there's a Total Wine that I drive past on my way to any other wine shop, before the spots where the traffic gets bad. Makes it really tough.

I love Pike and Western wine shop, every aspect of the place is on point. But driving in the Market is needle in the eye painful, and parking down there is worse.

I like McCarthy and Shiering on Queen Anne. Drive isn't bad. Owner is great. But some of the staff are arrogant - I don't like being made to feel like a dumb ass about something I have solid knowledge of. And the wines they recommend often aren't very good. One member of our wine group pulled something like three in a row last out of ten blind result with bottle highly spoken of by M&S staff (not the owner). Either regard me as a know nothing and recommend great wines, or listen well enough to know that I've got some knowledge and flub some recommendations. But I'm a rube and you point me toward weak bottles? Nah. I still go in but don't listen to anyone but me.

Esquin is fun. It is expensive outside of the very well selected daily drinkers (of which there are hundreds). Basically never have gotten an solid deal on a high-reputation cellar bottle there though. I buy from them occasionally but usually if I need a double mag of bubbles for a party or something. It's a targeted and immediate need thing with them, or a box of good weeknight wines.

When I buy online I almost always buy from Grand Vin, in Olympia, and Vinopolis in Portland. Would rather keep it at least regional. But don't hate a deal, and pretty used to shopping form my couch nowadays ...

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 27
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 12:33:44 PM   
mtpisgah

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

They are a special case I suppose since they ship direct and sell retail.

Paul

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 28
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 12:35:39 PM   
mtpisgah

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Despite having several of the countries top stores (Hi-Times, Wine Exchange, K&L, Woodland Hills, etc, etc) within easy range, over 90% of my buying is online/direct.

So there you go... I’m lazy and anti-social.

I am antisocial, but not lazy. I wish I had easy access to those stores. On second thought...

Paul

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 29
RE: Ordering online vs the local shop - 6/8/2018 12:55:48 PM   
PinotPhile

Wine Ex does not list SC as on the no-ship-to list. Hi-Time might be worth contacting, as they may be able to accommodate you.

Hi-Time has decent shipping rates for certain areas of CA, I understand. Have no idea as to charges for you.

SC does not seem to be a wine-unfriendly state. TW has 3 stores there so that's a pretty good indicator.

Cheers!

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Ordering online vs the local shop Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI