CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

re-gifting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> re-gifting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
re-gifting - 12/25/2017 6:16:24 AM   
bacchus

What wine or wine paraphanelia did you receive as a gift for Christmas that you are going to re-gift?

A Country Gentleman
Post #: 1
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 6:34:04 AM   
barolo300

I think the real question here is: what did YOU receive that you are going to re-gift?

I got a 5 day trip to Valpolicella starting on Valentine’s, with my wife, staying at a vineyard that makes Amarone. Possibly the best gift my wife has given me. I got a bottle of said Amarone. A £100 gift voucher to Hedonism wine from my mother in law, a hand blown whiskey tumbler and 2 bottles of Japanese Whiskey.

Feeling spoiled!

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 2
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 6:41:21 AM   
CranBurgundy

I got underwear and a wallet. Never been so happy with those gifts either! The wallet has really nice leather and is RFID protected from Ekster. The underwear is Mac Weldon, which I've been wanting to try to see if it's all it's cracked (pardon the pun) up to be. There's surely some wine-based paraphernalia waiting for me when I join the rest of the family to exchange gifts.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 3
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 7:03:19 AM   
champagneinhand

A wine diary. That’s what CT is for. Definitely not my Teidel Somms champagne glass.

I usually use a bono grande Chardonnay glass for vintage bubbles but will need to compare the two now.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 7:09:01 AM   
fingers

My dear, 80 year old Aunt has sent me a check for $50-100 every year since 1978 and every year I inform her that she shouldn’t. So I simply sign the check and give it to the Humane Society and take the donation credit

Thankfully, I haven’t had family or friends try to give me a wine related gift in a long time. They have either wised up or they just don’t care that much for me anymore

Post #: 5
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 8:05:12 AM   
midpalate

Not christmas related per se. But I often have friends over for dinner, most of whom are not that into wine. So the bottles they bring over tend to go in a special box in the cellar. And I dig those out when I am invited over to friends houses who aren't that into wine.

Only challenge is remembering which non-wino friend gave each bottle, so I don't bring someone their own wine back. Hasn't happened yet though :-)

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 6
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 8:46:14 AM   
bacchus

You should end the torture and have some fun. Invite all the friends over for a blind tasting and see if they can identify their own wine.

A Country Gentleman

(in reply to midpalate)
Post #: 7
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 10:17:16 AM   
doc2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bacchus

You should end the torture and have some fun. Invite all the friends over for a blind tasting and see if they can identify their own wine.

This

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 8
RE: re-gifting - 12/25/2017 11:30:07 AM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

I think the real question here is: what did YOU receive that you are going to re-gift?

2 Gabriel Gold glasses that we started using early. After using them last night, when cleaning it this morning the bowl just snapped into pieces as I was drying it. $40 down the drain...like that! It's a cool glass, but WAAAAYYYYYY to tender and fragile to be used. Merry, Merry!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 9
RE: re-gifting - 12/27/2017 7:43:09 AM   
River Rat

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

I got underwear and a wallet. Never been so happy with those gifts either! The wallet has really nice leather and is RFID protected from Ekster. The underwear is Mac Weldon, which I've been wanting to try to see if it's all it's cracked (pardon the pun) up to be. There's surely some wine-based paraphernalia waiting for me when I join the rest of the family to exchange gifts.

If they did RFID boxer briefs I’d be all in so to speak.

Got the usual Menage et Trois that will go to the needy. Otherwise a new Laguiole cork screw and some replacement stoppers for the Vacuvin.

Post #: 10
RE: re-gifting - 12/28/2017 12:28:47 PM   
Tpety

I was gifted a wood wine bottle puzzle. It's a bunch of wood pieces that when placed together correctly, form a wine bottle. It must have sat in a wine/smoke shop for years because it smells like cigars.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 11
RE: re-gifting - 12/28/2017 2:54:34 PM   
khmark7

My brother gifted me a book on wine, that i have already lost.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Tpety)
Post #: 12
RE: re-gifting - 12/28/2017 7:46:05 PM   
PinotPhile

I was the recipient of a re-gift of sorts today. A gym buddy had gone to a wedding, w/reception favors of wine stoppers/pourer combined. She knew she would not use it, asked me if I'd like to try hers. Why not?
Cute little thing with "LOVE" decoration. Still in the sealed gift box. So I'll give it a try. Cost her nothing, costs me nothing.

Cheers!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 13
RE: re-gifting - 12/30/2017 11:42:55 AM   
wadcorp

Got a set of "wine tools" (opener, foil cutter, etc.). Like we don't already have multiples of these.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to bacchus)
Post #: 14
RE: re-gifting - 1/2/2018 1:55:31 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tpety

I was gifted a wood wine bottle puzzle. It's a bunch of wood pieces that when placed together correctly, form a wine bottle. It must have sat in a wine/smoke shop for years because it smells like cigars.

Got one of those last year and promptly regifted it.

Along with a bottle of Trump wine (fortified chardonnay from Virginia) (couldn't viably regift that although we did open it for some less-wine inclined and surprisingly the bottle was not finished).

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to Tpety)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> re-gifting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll