CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 3:04:11 PM   
Rossodio

Was surprised despite fairly extensive searching to not see someone ask for a pairing rec on a simple and traditional lasagna recipe... For a birthday dinner, so while the lasagna isn't anything special, it actually is "special" and the night is a celebratory event.

Any thoughts, from my cellar particularly, or generally? I do have a good bit of Brunello... but also other Tuscan and Piedmont wines. Also other nationalities, of course. Replies welcomed :)
Would gladly open a "big boy" bottle for this occasion!

My cellar: https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=Region&iUserOverride=34119

And by appellation... https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?table=Pivot&Pivot1=Country&iUserOverride=34119&Pivot2=Appellation

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 1/8/2018 3:07:20 PM >

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

Post #: 1
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 3:08:16 PM   
S1

tomatoes?
Sangiovese!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 2
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 3:12:57 PM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

tomatoes?
Sangiovese!

Plus one. I'm a sucker for a good Chianti. I think of it as peasant food, peasant wine.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 3:16:44 PM   
Rossodio

But not a Brunello? I love me a good CCR (and I love CCR - damn good music, but that's for a separate message board) or CC generally but I do have plenty o' Brunello too~

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 4
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 3:21:17 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rossodio

But not a Brunello? I love me a good CCR (and I love CCR - damn good music, but that's for a separate message board) or CC generally but I do have plenty o' Brunello too~

Then why are you asking?
Sound like you have it covered.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 5
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 3:29:26 PM   
Rossodio

WIML, you had this literally within the last week and I have a bottle. Thoughts w lasagna?

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1344029

- Rossodio
USA

Post #: 6
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 4:01:36 PM   
peeks13

Barbera. Paired it with lasagna at a bottle shop tasting and it sang. On its own it was just OK.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 7
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 5:32:00 PM   
mclancy10006

I like younger wines with that kind of dish. Not a Chianti fan when outside of Italy to be transparent, but Brunello works for sure. Depending on how the recipe drifts from the classic variants other wines come into play for me. We tend to have veggie or turkey in lieu of beef/pork and find that Barolo is a good match for those. (and I have done a bunch of CdP with them too with good results.)

-Mark

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 8
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 5:48:19 PM   
BornToRhone

Lasagna's can vary quite a bit relative to how much red sauce, what types of meat, vegan, etc. For the red, I would go with Sangiovese as well, with a Nebiolo or acidic Pinot as backup. Main point is tomatoes are acidic so you want a wine which can also maintain high acid levels lest it taste very flat and flabby.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 9
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 6:23:15 PM   
Eddie

quote:

tomatoes?
Sangiovese!

Aglianico.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 10
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/8/2018 6:36:47 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

tomatoes?
Sangiovese!

Aglianico.

+1.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 11
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/9/2018 8:41:26 AM   
WineGuyCO

With Lasagna pretty much any Italian Red would work. I would think of going with Brunello or Valpolicella Ripasso. Any Rosso Piceno fans here? That might be another one to consider.

Rick

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 12
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/9/2018 8:55:26 AM   
CranBurgundy

I guess no one has asked because it's a fairly open pairing with many Italian wines.

While some of the threads asking for advice have had some esoteric dishes, lasagna or any type of pasta with gravy / tomato sauce falls on the simple side of the scale.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 13
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/9/2018 8:55:29 AM   
Blue Shorts

Any of the classic Italian red wines would go well. Any Italian wine made with sangiovese or nebbiolo would be great.

I'd lean towards the sangiovese (Chianti) unless the lasagne has truffles in it, then I'd lean more towards the nebbiolo. Super Tuscans would be OK, but not as good as the classics, imo.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Anglianico would also pair very well.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 1/9/2018 8:57:37 AM >

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 14
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/9/2018 3:49:29 PM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rossodio

WIML, you had this literally within the last week and I have a bottle. Thoughts w lasagna?

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1344029

Sorry for the delay. Signed off last night and just now getting back online.

Why not? Bearing in mind this producer is a bit new worldish in their style this is their base offering and should work great with lasagna.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 15
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/10/2018 3:33:11 PM   
avalonandl

Medium bodied Chianti or IGT. Brunello a bit heavy for Lasagna IMHO

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....

Post #: 16
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/10/2018 6:14:20 PM   
AfleetAlex

Brunello, or a crisp white.

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 17
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/10/2018 7:47:05 PM   
Wine_Strategies

the best pairing for a good lasagna, having spent 3 years of my life in Italy, is...me! I love a good lasagna, and I've found a number of wines that work quite well. So, if you're visiting me here in Denver area, or at my place in Italy, expect to try a few different wines, because, as some already know here, that's how I roll.

that said, a lasagna is like a wine in that different people approach it in different ways; as long as I know the approach (e.g. bechamel, protein and/or veg), I know how to approach it from a pairing standpoint.

If anyone can make a good lasagna, pop on over - CO or Italia - and I'll provide the pairings!

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to AfleetAlex)
Post #: 18
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/11/2018 8:45:08 AM   
grafstrb

With all that red sauce and garlic -- presumably -- I'd reach for a rose or a crisp and dry white wine.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 19
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/11/2018 1:08:51 PM   
rwilk_2000

I know that everyone loves to pair Italian wine with Italian food, but I recently had a pretty meaty Lasagna and a big Syrah paired very nicely.

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 20
RE: No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? - 1/11/2018 2:35:28 PM   
fingers

And I just had an incredibly high-acid, low-tannin, AFWE, PINEAU D'AUNIS that rocked with veggie Calzone and lasagne.

Just shows to go ya'

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> No one has asked for a pairing for lasagna here???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI