CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Help with an Italy trip?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Help with an Italy trip? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with an Italy trip? - 4/24/2024 5:59:12 AM   
Smaragd

Hello friends... it's been some years since I posted in this forum but I wanted to ask some help with a trip to N. Italy that is coming up.

We will be encircling the barolo country with a 6 year old this summer. I don't have a lot of time for wine tourism but wondered about good ways to explore the wine culture of the region... there are so many wine tours and tasting experiences and so many are geared toward novices.

Can anyone recommend must-do things involving tastings, winery tours, meals, or shopping for bottles?

My interests are barolo/barbaresco sure, but I also like the wines of Aosta (we will be a couple of days in the Aosta valley) and Gattinara/Ghemma especially the reservas of good quality. One of my go-to wines was always Vallana's Gattinaras, north of Novara.

Our itinerary is Milan-Genoa-Sanremo-Torino-Aosta Valley - Lago Maggiore

i appreciate any suggestions if you know the lay of that land.

It's a family of three, traveling most likely with no car, our 6 year old girl is rather patient with meals out, but she is still a 6 year old...

thanks
J
Post #: 1
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/24/2024 12:00:30 PM   
DoubleD1969

Hard to make specific recommendations because it’s been eight years. Not having a car will limit your options. It’s an hour by car from Turin to Barolo. It’s a quaint town with places to taste but the better ones are a mile or two away. Ellio Grasso was the best experience versus Scavino and Chiara Boschis (?). All three make great wines.

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/24/2024 1:58:49 PM   
wineismylife

I was in the Barolo region and can't phantom how you'll get around without a car. Some of the drives within the region are pushing 45 minutes to an hour so traveling from outside in and across is easily well north of an hour with a car. I'm sure there are public transport options but I didn't see them. I can't recall even seeing a single bus except in Alba when we were dropping our wine off for shipment home.

Having said that we stayed in Neive and hired a local tour guide who drove us to all of the wineries we visited. Then evenings we walked the small town for dinners. Plenty of good restaurants in Neive to eat well for a week with some variety. Couple of nice wine shops for purchases as well.

Can't help with the non winery visits, sites, education, etc... We were 100% there to taste and eat and only had 7 days to get it done. You best option I would think for those kind of activities and sites would be the cities you're staying in: Milan (Duomo and the square), Torino (Palazzo Madama) and Genoa (Aquarium) specifically.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/24/2024 2:20:56 PM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969
... Chiara Boschis (?)

Technically the label is E. Pira e Figli, not to confused with L. Pira. It started to be run by Chiara Boschis in 1980, later her brother Giorgio joining in, though in conjunction with the Pira family. She has managed to stick her name on the label in bigger type than the E. Pira bit, which is the source of confusion over what the label actually is. It seems to me that technically the Chiara Boschis words are merely decorative. The winery, which you can apparently visit, might be best to check ahead, is close to the centre of the village of Barolo.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/24/2024 7:56:49 PM   
jmc167

Last year we used Alessio Marin who is wine maker (he gave us two of his first bottling) to tour with on 3 days, one in Roero, one in Barbaresco, and one in Barolo while staying in Turin. While it is a bit of a drive, he will pick up in Turin and drop you off each day.

You can reach him at info@privatebarolowinetour.com.

Thanks!

Just a guy trying to drink as much as I purchase, and losing this battle brilliantly!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 5
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/25/2024 4:47:23 AM   
daviladc

We were in Piedmont last year with an Italian wine importer. The one restaurant we loved was Del Belbo Da Bardone Andre E Bardone Gioacchino near Nizza. Then go to Guaste Clemente in Nizza to taste some phenomenal Barberra and Barolo.

Totally Jealous! That's our favorite part of Italy.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to jmc167)
Post #: 6
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/25/2024 7:40:04 AM   
Smaragd

Thanks to you all! I have a couple of good leads here to look into.

Just to be clear, we are on a family holiday and wine tourism will be only 1% of it. Otherwise we're plannign to train to the Alps and to the sea and just enjoy the sights.

It is of course possible to hire a car to spend a nice evening in a town if there is a good reason (winery, a great restaurant, wine cooperative etc) to visit.

It happens that my birthday is in the smack middle of this trip, and maybe an overnight to Neive or Nizza is in order if I can find a superb restaurant worthy of my 47th celebration...

Cheers, everyone.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 7
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/25/2024 7:46:08 AM   
daviladc

We actually stayed in Neive at Borgo Vecchio Locanda di Charme. We also stayed at the Hilton in Turin across from EATLY.

Just remember, these places don't have air conditioning.

Happy birthday and enjoy!

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 8
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/25/2024 8:03:25 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc
We actually stayed in Neive at Borgo Vecchio Locanda di Charme.

We stayed in the same place. Great views from most rooms. Spacious up to date rooms. Nice on premise restaurant inclusive. Recommended.

Not very Italian so to speak but one of the best meals we had in Neive was at Umano. Italian Steakhouse. You literally walk up to the case and pick out your steak and then watch them hand cut it at the window to the kitchen before preparing it. Fantastic meat grilled to perfection. Great starters and sides. Thoroughly enjoyed the Amaro after as a digestive.

More classic white tablecloth Northern Italian was Ristorante La Lune nel Pozzo. L'Aromatario was also notable but less formal.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 9
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/25/2024 9:13:11 AM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc
We actually stayed in Neive at Borgo Vecchio Locanda di Charme.

We stayed in the same place. Great views from most rooms. Spacious up to date rooms. Nice on premise restaurant inclusive. Recommended.

Not very Italian so to speak but one of the best meals we had in Neive was at Umano. Italian Steakhouse. You literally walk up to the case and pick out your steak and then watch them hand cut it at the window to the kitchen before preparing it. Fantastic meat grilled to perfection. Great starters and sides. Thoroughly enjoyed the Amaro after as a digestive.

More classic white tablecloth Northern Italian was Ristorante La Lune nel Pozzo. L'Aromatario was also notable but less formal.

Love it!

Yes, breakfast there was phenomenal and their coffee game is killer.

We did have dinner there by a stroke of luck. One in our party was getting a little car sick and didn't want to drive that night. The lucky part was it was white truffle season. They had some phenomenal truffles and a great wine list. We didn't get to far into their menu, just pasta and truffles. Yum!

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 10
RE: Help with an Italy trip? - 4/26/2024 9:43:20 AM   
Smaragd

Oh wow, thank you for this tip! :)

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Help with an Italy trip? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI