CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/11/2019 3:21:47 PM   
S1

When I complete a successful event (dinner/concert/offline etc.), I immediately consider the next event while details are fresh in my mind. I would like to get input from the CT community at large as I begin the transition to Charleston Offlineorama VI.

I thought I would throw out a few brainstorming ideas for next year, and also ask some questions for present/past/prospective attendees. Feel free to add some ideas and themes, even if you have never attended. At some point this event might move to South Florida in February, but not until after we retire in a few (probably three) years.

It is time for me to turn the cooking duties over to the restaurant chefs (at least while HRH and I are still teaching). I could cook for a Sunday lunch at our condo clubhouse, but the Thursday/Friday events are too difficult after a workday. Since Chas is one of the great foodie destinations in the world, why would anyone travel here and not take advantage of restaurants? I think the room at the country club works great for Sunday lunch, as long as it doesn’t add too much expense for people.

I have a few ideas for themes; feel free to chime in. Obviously most of these themes would require sourcing for many people, including for me. Since many participants source wines for this event anyway, we could even source and split the costs. I would be willing to do the shopping (or at least do the research).

A lowcountry pig pickin’ and/or oyster roast would be fun as long as it is catered. I would love an indoor/outdoor (in case of bad weather) event on one of the marsh islands. An event such as this could work really well on Burgundy Thursday (and the rental would be cheaper than on the weekend).

Our buddy (we call her our 2nd daughter) is bev director at Oak Steakhouse—I am very interested in that for next year if we can get a deal on a private room (they have several). I will also talk to our guy at Wild Common, and the people at Chez Nous.

How about a Burgundy Thursday dinner focusing on a single vineyard?

“A Single Vintage Horizontal of Super Seconds” (or Firsts if we want to go really crazy)

“Going Vertical (on a single wine)”

“Nebuchadnezzar, 20 Liters of Fun” (or maybe not quite so big) Split the cost of a BIG bottle?

My only insistence is that all wine declarations are properly aged, finest bottles in keeping with wines from the past few years. Mr. Churchill and I are still in agreement; we are easily satisfied with THE BEST!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)
Post #: 1
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/12/2019 6:53:04 PM   
Wineguy55

A few ideas that have been kicking around in my head are a blind Cali cult wine shootout including Screagle Bryant Abreu MacDonald Colgin etc to ascertain whether Screagle is king without label bias. Or a
if not enough Cali fans, a 1990 or 1982 Bordeaux event with all the first growths or if that's too costly then 2nd growths

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/12/2019 7:47:01 PM   
mclancy10006

We may have hit peak wine at this event. It will be hard just to get back to this point, but I am willing to try. The general format is lets come up with an idea, lets source to that with mags or 2x 750s, and then show up with 150% more stuff as 'backups' or bonus bottles. So planning is kind of just a forum exercise for the minimally viable plan. What we wind up drink is that plus. :)

I like the more casual and not rushed feel of the club house events so when we use a restaurant for this we need to figure out how to pace it. I totally get the need to turn over the cooking duties. I actually liked the evening only events better (vs the 2 tastings per day we did in earlier years).

As to wine themes, I like the vertical of a single wine idea a lot and same with the mega format, but that one might be harder to source. Of course the wine is the key for both.

The other idea that came up was a burg vs Bordeaux.

We should have one event where it is say only 5 different wines max. That means 3x or 4x 750s of the same thing or the large format. I still think there are too many small pours and less time to see how things develop over the tasting rather than what for me is mostly first impressions. I would like at least one chance to be able to ponder the best of the best at depth.

My $0.02

-Mark

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 3
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/12/2019 8:05:20 PM   
mclancy10006

We also need to deal with things like this on the sourcing side too for frenchies not yet in the US of A.

Minimum order 6 bottles. No cancellations or refunds. ETA approx. 90-120 days. PLEASE NOTE: This wine is affected by the U.S. Trade Representative tariff action and applicable tariff will be calculated at checkout.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 4
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/12/2019 9:19:29 PM   
LST

I would like to stay with Burgundy Thurs, but think we could do this as either a catered event or at a local place.
Just try to bring together the interesting Red and White burgs that pass muster w/ HRH.
I'm still trying to taste thru all the GC's so this is a welcome time to make some progress on that list

If I have access to a kitchen I would be willing to work with someone on meal planning, sourcing ingredients, prep, cooking and plating.
I can fly in a day or 2 early to do this+ ship/source stuff.

Agree that Charleston is a great foodie city. I would like to try some classic Low Country stuff on Fri/Sat.
Maybe 2 themed nights:
- Domestic (Napa,Sonoma/Washington) vs Old World (France,BDX 1sts/super seconds, super Tuscan, Ornellia, Sassicia etc..)BDX style blends
vertical format of good/great vintages: I've done 78/79, 85/86, 89/90, 96, 00, 4-5 flights, 6-8 bottles/per flight
In more modern vintages 86' Napa vs 86 Bdx and 96 can be fun

or Team Bordeaux vs Team Burg like the old UK /Oxford offlines.
Team captains can vet the list amongst the team members and then play their best to capture the trophy.

I also love a good vertical so we might be able to study a few wines/houses.
A vert of Krug, Dom or Salon. I favor 85, 88, 90, then 96, 98, 99, 02
A vert of Bordeaux like Margaux/Paulliac or Graves/Pessac. 82, 86, 89, 90, 95/96 upto 03/05
2 verts Burgs?: Montrachet (whites) and Vosne Romanee (Reds) 60's, 70's, 85, 88, 90, 96
any ports/sauternes

< Message edited by LST -- 11/12/2019 9:25:08 PM >

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 5
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/13/2019 7:30:34 PM   
ericindc

Well, I've only been to one, so perhaps my input can be counted as less, but I would say swing for the fences. Perhaps its 1990 Burg Vosne 1ers vs Gevrey 1ers, but thats easy. Or 50+yr old Clarets. Perhaps its Pegau vs Beaucastel over 40 years, or Rayas vertical. Maybe Ribera del Duero vs Rioja in 1982. People have a whole year to source.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to LST)
Post #: 6
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/13/2019 8:10:41 PM   
DoubleD1969

I’ve been to one Chaz and would like to attend another some day.

I like the idea of bigger formats and fewer wines so you can go back to them although it would suck if any of the bottles are corked.

Having a vertical tasting or horizontal theme is fun. I’ve been to several in the last 5 years and some with fellow CTers - vertical Rayas, 1986 First Growths, Champagne and Caviar, 1996 Diamond Creek horizontal, 1984 Diamond Creek horizontal. Syrah taste-offs always seem to be won by Grange. I digress.

Ideally, you’d set a fixed budget per person for the weekend and use the funds to purchase the bottles and the meals. It’s relatively easy to procure most Napa cabs and Bordeaux if you want to do some kind vertical or horizontal tastings with bottles at different price points. Aged Burgundy bottles, especially from the top producers, are harder to source, and you might settle for what is available. All this requires advanced planning and commitment that any cancellations would throw a wrench at the concept.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 7
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/13/2019 8:36:41 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST

If I have access to a kitchen I would be willing to work with someone on meal planning, sourcing ingredients, prep, cooking and plating.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

People have a whole year to source.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Aged Burgundy bottles, especially from the top producers, are harder to source, and you might settle for what is available.

OMG, stop it with the sourcing already!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to LST)
Post #: 8
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/14/2019 3:56:14 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

People have a whole year to source.

quote:

Aged Burgundy bottles, especially from the top producers, are harder to source, and you might settle for what is available.

OMG, stop it with the sourcing already!

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 9
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/14/2019 7:16:58 AM   
DoubleD1969

Post the theme here when it is finalized, and you can crowd source the bottles from Cran.

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 10
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/14/2019 7:52:59 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

I also love a good vertical so we might be able to study a few wines/houses.
A vert of Krug, Dom or Salon. I favor 85, 88, 90, then 96, 98, 99, 02

I participated in a vertical of Dom last May, it was awesome. We sourced wines from 1964 - 2006, with mix of Rose's, Regular, and P2/Oenotheque bottlings. Way fun

(in reply to LST)
Post #: 11
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/14/2019 8:02:47 AM   
Hollowine

If you start with an Afternoon Porto Vertical, it doesn't much matter what the theme of the evening dinner is...just sayin'

I'm a big fan for following wines that are known to evolve/morph through several hours of air exposure. To do so, you either need larger formats or you need lots of stems and a reasonable first pour. Wines like Grange and Chave come to mind but I'm sure there are lots of examples.

Also a fan of a single house or wine in a pretty expansive vertical over several decades.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 12
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/14/2019 2:47:17 PM   
S1

Thanks to all for chiming in--things are evolving.
My current thinking is

WEDNESDAY
Restaurant dinner with Miles, Ellen, and other early arrivers.

BURGUNDY THURSDAY
quote:

I would like to stay with Burgundy Thurs, but think we could do this as either a catered event or at a local place.

Thursday will always be Burgundy Thursday at Chez S1

How about, Bubbles and Burgundy—A Lowcountry Oyster Roast and Pig Pickin’?
My first choice for a rental is
http://destinationgoldbug.com/
Rental would be ~$50 pp. It has a great Intracoastal Waterway location with views of Ben Sawyer Bridge and Sullivan’s Island Lighthouse. I need a caterer who will do both the oysters and the piggy; I am making inquiries. If that rental price is too steep we can explore, but as a destination city, Charleston does not have many free venues. Alhambra Hall, on the marsh near Mason’s house is the same price as Goldbug.
https://mountpleasantvenues.com/alhambra-hall/
I will look into Goat Island, but it is probably super expensive (and only accessible by boat).
http://www.goatislandgatherings.com/index.html
One of my brothers is in F&B industry; he might have a few ideas.
I really need to keep the event on this side of the harbor since HRH will be teaching on that day. We could use the condo clubhouse for a dinner, but not oysters and pig.

FRIDAY
Beef and Big Bottles
quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006
We should have one event where it is say only 5 different wines max. That means 3x or 4x 750s of the same thing or the large format. I still think there are too many small pours and less time to see how things develop over the tasting rather than what for me is mostly first impressions. I would like at least one chance to be able to ponder the best of the best at depth.

I would love to do Brother Mark’s idea of 5 wines only (maybe from double mag?). We could do that back at our condo clubhouse since the price is right. I’m looking at caterers but would be willing to cook a big, dry-aged roast if I can SOURCE the side dishes and dessert. We’ll get rid of the afternoon session if I am roasting a beast.

SATURDAY
Circa has already told me to send them next year’s date!
I have already selected my wine (SOURCING)

SUNDAY
I thought the country club was a great venue, and super affordable. I can shop around if people don’t want to spend the money. IMO Sunday would be the perfect time for a vertical tasting.

quote:

All this requires advanced planning and commitment that any cancellations would throw a wrench at the concept.

This
Venues and caterers will require deposits. People who sign on to the event will have to send me a nonrefundable deposit so I don’t get stuck with the check.

Keep the ideas coming--Nietzsche says out of chaos comes order...

< Message edited by S1 -- 11/16/2019 10:24:21 AM >

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 13
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/14/2019 5:26:44 PM   
khmark7

January Chas event, held over the weekend of the Charleston Marathon??

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 14
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/15/2019 3:15:59 PM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

January Chas event, held over the weekend of the Charleston Marathon??

Maybe use that date for face to face planning of main event!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/16/2019 4:30:00 PM   
l631756

Before I weigh in on the ideas for 2020, I want to thank S1 and HRH for an incredible weekend with an assist from Masonh and his bride. Their hospitality and efforts were extraordinary. We met so many great people and learned a lot about wine. All of the attendees were generous and very friendly. It was as good of a personal experience as a wine experience, and trust me it was a mind blowing wine experience.
Happy Burgundy Thursday is undoubtedly the best/only way to start the party. If there were a French caterer to continue the natural pairing of French wine and food without all the work, that would be great. The location is less important because the first night is more about meeting people and having the ability to mingle.
An idea for the Friday event might be our own version of the judgement of Paris. Half the group brings old Bordeaux and the other half brings old Napa Cab. After the tasting we rank the wines and see if old or new world wins.
At the 2019 Friday event there were an extraordinary variety of wines and there was always wine left for revisits after everyone got a sample. It was cool to be able to try so many different wines in a comparative environment, This evening broadened my tasting experiences dramatically because of the variety of wines people brought. It is a real tribute to all of the participants that they brought such great wines to share and were so courteous that there was wine left for revisits.
The Saturday event at Circa 1886 was extraordinary. The food was great and paired well with the wines. As with the rest of the weekend, the wines were exceptional. I don't know how you improve on that event.
Thanks again to everyone involved for all the work, wine and friendship. It was an experience of a lifetime.
Steve and Jane

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 16
RE: Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) - 11/21/2019 8:20:23 AM   
Wineguy55

I personally love Gene's idea of a Salon vertical. My first truly aged Salon a 1988 I shared recently was the best Champagne I have ever tried. But then again I have never tasted Krug de Mesnil either.

(in reply to l631756)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Chas...VI? (seeking input from forum) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI