CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/19/2020 8:01:54 AM   
mjobtx

My wife and I are headed to LA to visit some relatives. We arrive on Wednesday 19 February and depart on Wednesday 26 February. If there is a chance of an offline somewhere that two geographically challenged people can find, we would love to know about it. We are staying in an Airbnb in Redondo Beach near one of our relatives. We can always carry some wine with us. Not certain about glasses.

We would also appreciate some recommendations on restaurants that don't require a four hour round trip. Driving in LA traffic will be something new to us.

PlanoWino
Post #: 1
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 12:28:43 PM   
Jenise

Chez Melange/Sea Change on the Redondo/Manhattan border. Old school but creative. Wine's appreciated there.

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 2
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:01:04 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Chez Melange/Sea Change on the Redondo/Manhattan border. Old school but creative. Wine's appreciated there.

Thank you. Close is good. Just don't want to make any 90 minute drives to get to a restaurant.

PlanoWino

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 3
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:08:59 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Just think of LA like the Dallas Metroplex with surfers. .

Actually Redondo seems like it would be not too bad a connection to the Orange County CT crowd. I jingle fingers whenever in that area and he is good at rounding up a few winos., himself included. Always good food, laid back wine drinkers, groups 2-20.

A few good spots I have visited, based on fingers' advice, have been Black Marlin - Tustin, The Playground - Santa Ana, and a few more I'll have to look up from further back, but Huntington Beach, and LAX area are both close to Redondo and were site of past gatherings.

ETA... I might have been to this place once, hard to remember ... Brix Pastrami, 16635 Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 1/20/2020 1:19:23 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 4
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:19:33 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

Just think of LA like the Dallas Metroplex with surfers. .

Actually Redondo seems like it would be not too bad a connection to the Orange County CT crowd. I jingle fingers and whenever in that area and he is good at rounding up a few winos., himself included. Always good food, laid back wine drinkers, groups 2-20.

A few good spots I have visited, based on fingers' advice, have been Black Marlin - Tustin, The Playground - Santa Ana, and a few more I'll have to look up from further back, but Huntington Beach, and LAX area are both close to Redondo and were site of past gatherings.

Thanks. I will see if I can connect with fingers. I met him once quite a few years ago at the one and only CellarTracker offline in Seattle. There were people from all over there most of whom I haven't seen since.

Black Marlin and The Playground are a solid hour away from where we are staying in Redondo Beach. I am hoping to find some a little closer but I have put them on my list for now.

PlanoWino

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:26:12 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I found the place we met once closest to LAX/Redondo, which was Deluis in Signal Hill, but it is now closed.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 6
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:41:51 PM   
fingers

Too bad, that was the place I was going to suggest.

I don’t know my full schedule yet, but I do know I’m out of town the 20-23 so I would need to see about the other dates being open. Maybe some others like vinopkm, puppetclause, or recotte will pick up on this and chime in.

It was a long time ago, at Eric’s first shindig in Seattle. That was you, right Michael?

Cheers

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:49:15 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Too bad, that was the place I was going to suggest.

I don’t know my full schedule yet, but I do know I’m out of town the 20-23 so I would need to see about the other dates being open. Maybe some others like vinopkm, puppetclause, or recotte will pick up on this and chime in.

It was a long time ago, at Eric’s first shindig in Seattle. That was you, right Michael?

Cheers

I was definitely there. We spoke a couple of times, one at a tasting. We all went to Eric's one evening and I envied at his cellar. It would be great if something works out. We will be there 24-25. We leave on 26.

PlanoWino

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 8
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 1:53:52 PM   
fingers

Ok, I’ll do some sleuthing and get word out. Long Beach area is a good mid-point for OC-LA so I will focus there.

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 9
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/20/2020 2:46:06 PM   
mjobtx

Thanks. Much appreciated. If an offline comes up, we would probably Uber/Lyft it anyway so distance is only an issue for the driver.

PlanoWino

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 10
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/21/2020 6:39:58 PM   
wine247365

If your relatives haven't already told you about this place, check out https://thebottleinnhermosa.com/ . It's a classic, little neighborhood restaurant that the locals walk to, so it's not well known outside of those beach communities. We went there many years ago for a winery dinner and had a great time, from what I remember. And any restaurant that can stay alive for 45 years says something about the what they provide. Also, their website shows that WS gave them their Award of Excellence for 2018 & 2019. It's probably a short Uber from where you are. Don't forget about the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa, where you can see leading national comedians without the hassles of driving up to Hollyweird. Jay Leno has randomly shown up there on Sunday nights for decades!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 11
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/21/2020 9:00:14 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: wine247365

If your relatives haven't already told you about this place, check out https://thebottleinnhermosa.com/ . It's a classic, little neighborhood restaurant that the locals walk to, so it's not well known outside of those beach communities. We went there many years ago for a winery dinner and had a great time, from what I remember. And any restaurant that can stay alive for 45 years says something about the what they provide. Also, their website shows that WS gave them their Award of Excellence for 2018 & 2019. It's probably a short Uber from where you are. Don't forget about the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa, where you can see leading national comedians without the hassles of driving up to Hollyweird. Jay Leno has randomly shown up there on Sunday nights for decades!

Thanks for the lead. I haven't really asked our nephew for recommendations. He and his wife are less interested in good wine and good food than we are. They have a new baby turning 1 this year and they don't get out much either. They moved to Redondo Beach from Alexandria, VA and they are still getting familiar with the area.

PlanoWino

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 12
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/22/2020 12:27:44 AM   
recotte

Not sure what my schedule is like for that week just yet, but I’ll keep an eye on this thread as things develop.

It’s been awhile since I spent any time in Redondo, but I don’t recall there being a lot of good food options there. If you like good, authentic Japanese food, Torrance, the next town over, has a lot of options.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 13
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/22/2020 7:14:13 AM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Not sure what my schedule is like for that week just yet, but I’ll keep an eye on this thread as things develop.

It’s been awhile since I spent any time in Redondo, but I don’t recall there being a lot of good food options there. If you like good, authentic Japanese food, Torrance, the next town over, has a lot of options.

Thanks a lot. We will be in Torrance visiting one of my wife's uncles. Sounds like a great time to find one of those Japanese restaurants. I might have an in on finding a great one. My nephew's wife is Japanese.

PlanoWino

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 14
RE: Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February - 1/22/2020 7:59:40 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Thanks a lot. We will be in Torrance visiting one of my wife's uncles. Sounds like a great time to find one of those Japanese restaurants. I might have an in on finding a great one. My nephew's wife is Japanese.

Torrance has large Japanese American and Japanese expat communities, so there are a ton of good food options there. Not so much great sushi, but more traditional foods.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Redondo Beach 19 - 26 February Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI