CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Research

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Research Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Research - 7/30/2023 3:36:03 AM   
voatap

I'm currently researching the world of wine, and being a technical person, I'm approaching it from a technical perspective. I've collected a large dataset of professional wine tasting notes (around 500k) and built a service that assumes wines from the same appellation made from the same grapes should exhibit similarities. Using AI modeling, I can now find wines with similar styles based on their appellation or grape variety.

As a result, I've created a non-commercial and free-to-use service called Inbox.Wine where you can explore different wine styles.

For instance, let's take Riesling as an example. Here's how Riesling wines are similar across different parts of the world:

Or discover wines similar to Barolo, but outside of Italy (which are relatively limited):

You can also find that Chablis Chardonnay is more similar to Champagne than any Chardonnay from the US:

Additionally, you can find the best rating/price wine styles:

Or search for styles based on tasting note tags:

Feel free to explore Inbox.Wine and play around with it to find interesting results. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions on what else could be investigated from a wine computing perspective. Inbox.Wine is here for you to enjoy!

(Note: This service is non-commercial and completely free to use.)
Post #: 1
RE: Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Re... - 7/30/2023 6:45:09 AM   
fingers

Fascinating and exciting!

Welcome to the CT forum, Volodymyr

(in reply to voatap)
Post #: 2
RE: Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Re... - 7/30/2023 8:27:15 PM   
BenG

I don't understand the first graph. None of the lines add up to 100% so it's not a percentage bar graph. In that case, what is it a percentage of? Additionally, the colors are in different order so I can't really compare one region to the other.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3
RE: Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Re... - 7/31/2023 1:36:51 AM   
voatap

Hi BenG,

At the first screen there are bars that represent the descriptors of each wine style and its proportion.
The second graph is an simplification of multi dimensional object that puts particular wine style on map so you can imagine how the relation and distance for other wine styles.
You can think about it like a star map printed and you can imagine which stars are nearby :)
You can play around with that style comparison here Compare Wine Styles.
I would think how to make this more informative. Thanks for your comments.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Appellation, Grape Varieties, and Wine Styles AI Research Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI