CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Is your wine insured?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Is your wine insured? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is your wine insured? - 4/16/2009 10:11:16 PM   
Eric

With CellarTracker my goal is to help people make sure they know what their collection is worth. The question is, if your cooling unit dies, if a shelf breaks and there is a pileup in your fridge or if something else catastrophic happens, will your normal household insurance policy cover your vino? If your collection is worth more than $10K and unless you have consolidated coverage with Chubb, AIG Private Client or Fireman's Fund the odds are that you are not covered.

Teaming up with the fine folks at CellarAdvisors, I am very pleased to point people to a new standalone insurance product that affordably lets you protect your fine wine.

http://www.insureyourwine.com/index.html?utm_source=ctracker&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=InsureYourWine

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker
Post #: 1
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/16/2009 11:11:17 PM   
Hollowine

I will definitely check this out Eric, thank you for taking time from your product UI enhancements to also understand that this is a key benefit many of us get from your great product. I had already met with my insurance agent and shown her CT and asked if there was any way to use it to be a basis for coverage, and was very dismayed to hear my homeowners wouldn't cover it. Will look into this and see what it can offer.

Cheers!

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 2
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/17/2009 7:34:42 AM   
annerk

We're in the process of switching insureres to Chubb. They don't require any appriasal unless you've got a single bottle (or more) worth over $9K.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 3
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/17/2009 9:21:13 AM   
GalvezGuy

Eric,

That was extremely useful. I am subject to the 10K limit. I will have to see if they cover power outages during a catastrophe as well.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 4
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/17/2009 10:30:56 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

We're in the process of switching insureres to Chubb. They don't require any appriasal unless you've got a single bottle (or more) worth over $9K.

Personally I am on AIG Private Client. To get their wine coverage I had to move everything (house, cars etc.), but what sealed the deal for me with AIG was that I was able to get earthquake coverage for the house. But before that I remember looking around for months or trying to get a Chubb agent to talk to me about a standalone wine policy and never could get a response. Wine coverage is straightforward enough if you have someone that is willing to sell you the product. Usually the downloaded Excel spreadsheet from CellarTracker should be more than enough information for the agent.

BTW, the $10K number I quoted above was not scientific and obviously everyone should look at their current policy and talk to their current agent. But a lot of folks will tell you that your regular policy will cover you when it won't. So ask questions and know that for a very few pennies on the dollar you can sleep better knowing your wine is well covered.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 5
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/17/2009 4:13:01 PM   
khmark7

I was told that I needed an appraisal for my current homeowners (under a personal articles), which seems stupid since my cellar is always changing (drinking the wine). Would prefer to not have someone come appraise everything.

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 6
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/17/2009 6:44:48 PM   
Birch

My cellar is still only worth about $5K, so I haven't put a lot of emphasis on it.  My insurance company sucks, so I'm relatively sure they won't insure the collection. 

< Message edited by Birch -- 4/17/2009 7:55:36 PM >

Dana

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/17/2009 7:25:56 PM   
gbm

My cellar is under $5k, so no real worries there.  Regardless, I have Chubb.

I'm curious about what kind of insurance of European/Asian friends have - if any. 

(in reply to Birch)
Post #: 8
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/18/2009 1:05:35 AM   
NiklasW

Never actually thought about it! But now that the wine in the cellar is worth about 5k€ perhaps I should start thinking and asking. No idea whether Finnish insurance companies would cover alcohol since we have such convoluted laws related to the stuff.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 9
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/18/2009 9:16:48 AM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

My cellar is under $5k, so no real worries there.  Regardless, I have Chubb.

I'm curious about what kind of insurance of European/Asian friends have - if any. 

My guess is that many of them use Chubb.  Chubb has a very large presence in both Europe and Asia. 

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 10
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/19/2009 6:21:09 PM   
slave2thevine

My premium came to $250. Is that anually or monthly???

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 11
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 9:34:08 AM   
rjonas

Mine came to $250 as well.  The way I read it, it looked like an annual amount... Certainly wouldn't consider it cost-effective if it was monthly...

I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

(in reply to slave2thevine)
Post #: 12
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 10:22:58 AM   
Eric

Almost certainly annual unless you have a HUGE collection.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to rjonas)
Post #: 13
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 1:31:55 PM   
drycab

It is pretty steep at first glance but after one realises that the most expensive rates are in Florida and those versus the value of my cellar, well it's a no brainer.  Hurricane season is coming after all!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 14
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 3:37:25 PM   
Eric

You definitely want to be insured in hot climates like Florida or Texas. One breakdown of a cooling unit at the wrong time and a lot of fried wine. In the context of that it is pretty cheap...

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 15
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 5:59:43 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

Almost certainly annual unless you have a HUGE collection.

Define HUGE
One benefit to my cellar is that it's indoors and below grade ... if the individual unit were to go down the house unit would protect me for a while ... if the whole world crashed (thank God we don't get those catastrophic coastal storms) the underground feature adds to the retained cooling.
Anyone ever shut their cellar cooling system off and see how long it takes to warm up 2 degrees?
Any mathematical genius that could figure out cubic feet of cellar, thermal mass of X number of btls at Y degrees, and the R insulation factor of the cellar and come up with a neat equation?

TC

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 16
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 6:32:51 PM   
annerk

Generator + Window A/C unit = Wine stays cool.

That's about as mathematical as I can get.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 17
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 7:33:08 PM   
tacman

quote:

Generator + Window A/C unit = Wine stays cool.

That's about as mathematical as I can get.

No windows ... but I am looking for a backup generator

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 18
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/20/2009 10:16:51 PM   
Phantomind

Why are you (those who insure there wine) insuring your wine? Or better put, against what catastrophe? Is it mostly power/cooling outages? What about theft? Floods? I have a passive cellar under the house and I am not worried about floods. The only thing I might possibly worry about as far as 'natural catastrophes' is earthquakes. Though, something large enough to damage my cellar would most likely take down part (or all) of my house. And then I think I would be more worried about the house.

Just wondering. I don't think I need insurance, just a good lock.

Raul

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 19
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/21/2009 3:51:23 AM   
annerk

Fire, theft, punks breaking in and trashing my house, hurricane/tornado causing damage to wine cooler, satellite falling through roof, the list of potential perils goes on and on and on...

Chubb is rating me $.40/per $100 of coverage on an annual basis, works out to about $80.  Less than many spend buying a single bottle on a regular basis.

(in reply to Phantomind)
Post #: 20
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/21/2009 8:49:38 AM   
drycab

Why are you (those who insure there wine) insuring your wine? Or better put, against what catastrophe? Is it mostly power/cooling outages? What about theft? Floods? I have a passive cellar under the house and I am not worried about floods. The only thing I might possibly worry about as far as 'natural catastrophes' is earthquakes. Though, something large enough to damage my cellar would most likely take down part (or all) of my house. And then I think I would be more worried about the house.

With the value of my cellar and the fact that I live in hurricane alley, insurance is a no brainer.  I built my cellar with concrete, rebar and insulated walls and ceilings so as to minimize temprature fluctuations but when a hurricane comes through and the power is out for a week and none of the gas stations can pump gas as their power is out too making it impossible to run my generator, well what would you have me do?  Throw up my hands?  I can't do that.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 21
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/21/2009 9:07:54 AM   
annerk

Simply put, I have insurance on everything of any significant value that I own. My life, my health, my cars, my home, my camera gear, my wine, and an umbrella liability policy so that I'm covered even if some crackhead climbs on my roof to get closer to God then falls off an breaks his neck and sues me.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 22
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/21/2009 4:15:36 PM   
gbm

quote:

Simply put, I have insurance on everything of any significant value that I own. My life, my health, my cars, my home, my camera gear, my wine, and an umbrella liability policy so that I'm covered even if some crackhead climbs on my roof to get closer to God then falls off an breaks his neck and sues me.

I told you I wouldn't sue... 

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 23
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 7:17:40 AM   
slave2thevine

$250 is a lot in a year.  Even for my collection it's more than I think I'm willing to budge on.  Maybe if it was something that I felt more comfortable with...sure.  Yet, I'm not sure it would pay off.  That's assuming that in 4 years time I'll have lost $1,000 worth of wine that was possible to save with this insurance....and that just has not happened to me.  Restaurants might be another thing...

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 24
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 7:36:49 AM   
annerk

With Chubb as a valuable articles rider I'm paying $.40 on each $100 of insurance.  That's a price I can readily live with.

(in reply to slave2thevine)
Post #: 25
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 8:36:05 AM   
fingers

Anne, or anyone else:  What are the deductable values on these policies?  Do you file a claim for the single broken bottle of Harlan or SQN?  Is there any out-of-pocket limit?

thanks 4 info

bob

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 26
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 8:40:13 AM   
drycab

Living in South Florida has presented itself with numerous problems of which wine cellar insurance was one.  With the link that Eric provided, I'm now covered.  It's NOT cheap, but if you look at the rates per coverage area, I happen to be in the most expensive.  Chubb won't write my home owners at a reasonable price and so the whole package with them was more than where I sit now.  Hopefully I'll never have to make a claim!!

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 27
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 10:10:50 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Anne, or anyone else:  What are the deductable values on these policies?  Do you file a claim for the single broken bottle of Harlan or SQN?  Is there any out-of-pocket limit?

thanks 4 info

bob

$0 in many cases. http://www.insureyourwine.com/features_rates.html

For me personally I would never make a claim on a single bottle. I am mainly guarding against theft, fire or some other catastrophe (shelving collapses etc.).

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 28
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 11:48:39 AM   
PSirah Tampa

The debate goes on.... I'm in Tampa, Florida and have a fairly large cellar worth close to 6 figures.  It would run me about $600 to insure for 1 year.  Here are my views on the risks:
  • Fire- a legitimate concern, but not very common.
  • Theft- not much of a concern; wine is difficult to transport.  It could happen, but I doubt amateur thieves would bother with it.
  • Vandalism- really low odds.
  • Earthquake- no concern.
  • Hurricane damage- a legitimate concern, but unlikely.
  • Power outage- very likely, but I have a generator (as long as I can find gas).
  • Cooling Unit Failure- it will happen someday, but I can purchase a spare backup unit for 2 years worth of insurance.  Even without the backup unit I can cool the house to 72 while I wait for a new unit.  A week at 72 won't kill anything.
  • Wife popping the cork on the good stuff while I'm away- this is my biggest risk.  That's why all the cheap stuff is towards the front, within easy reach.  Is wifey theft insured?

So, I'm on the fence about the insurance.  If I could only quit buying the stuff I'm trying to insure I could afford the insurance.

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 29
RE: Is your wine insured? - 4/25/2009 12:07:34 PM   
drycab

Just curious but how do you consider a hurricane "unlikely"?

I think we live in the same state and I can't do that!

< Message edited by drycab -- 4/25/2009 12:08:54 PM >

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Is your wine insured? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI