CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Do you always decant the full bottle?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you always decant the full bottle? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 8:38:30 AM   
Claymonster

As many of us do, I decant young wines and give them some air before drinking. Full bottle into the decanter. But for whatever reason, recently I noticed that the bottle isn't getting finished by the end of the night (maybe the combination of food, wine, fireplace, and early sunset is making me too sleepy?). So I end up putting whatever is left in the decanter, which is normally about a third of a bottle, back into the bottle, corking it, and sticking it in the fridge until the next day. And usually whatever is left is not as good on day two. Between the initial decant, the time spent in the decanter, and then getting repoured back into the bottle and then sitting in the fridge for hours, that's a lot of air. Now I'm thinking to myself that I should start out by pouring 2/3 into the decanter, leaving the remaining 1/3 of the recorked bottle in the fridge for the next day.

What do you do? Do you always decant the full bottle and make sure you finish it? What do you do if you don't finish it? Do you decant part of the bottle? Some other method?

Cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 8:53:37 AM   
jmcmchi

It doesn’t happen often, but when it does I cover the decanter with clingfilm. It doesn’t alter the amount of air exposure, but theoretically it means there should be no movement of air currents…

I also have a lot of 0.25l carafes I could use as an alternative

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 8:53:55 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Interesting question. First, I usually do a slow ox, where I pour off a glass, or two small pours for the two of us, and just let the wine in bottle and glass sit for an hour. If there is any left in the bottle later, it just gets re-corked having never left the bottle. If I do decide to decant/vinturi/screen for various reasons, I do decant the whole bottle into a decanter. If that doesn't get drank, I'll seal the decanter as is. We have a rubber stopper thing designed to fit most decanters. If that is not around, or in use elsewhere, a piece of Saran wrap does the trick. I'll often forget about the unfinished bottle or decanter the next day, but when I remember often the wine is better than day one. It all depends on the individual wine of course.

ETA, another thing. Refrigerator space is non-existing thing in our house, so my leftovers usually just sit on a kitchen counter overnight. Reds more than whites. I will try to find a spot for leftover white in the frig, and those often become cooking wine. Again, due to the forget it's there factor.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 12/19/2023 9:01:07 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 3
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 9:18:19 AM   
wineismylife

If you regularly have leftovers like this my personal recommendation is get yourself a couple of 375ml bottles with screwcap closures and funnel from the 750ml into the 375ml until it is just about to the top and screw on the cap tightly. Then decant what's left into the decanter. Leave the 375ml in the cellar for the next day. It'll be much fresher that way and if you're particularly thirsty that evening you can always keep pouring from the 375ml once the decanter is emptied.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 9:27:15 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

If you regularly have leftovers like this my personal recommendation is get yourself a couple of 375ml bottles with screwcap closures and funnel from the 750ml into the 375ml until it is just about to the top and screw on the cap tightly. Then decant what's left into the decanter. Leave the 375ml in the cellar for the next day. It'll be much fresher that way and if you're particularly thirsty that evening you can always keep pouring from the 375ml once the decanter is emptied.

This would be my recommendation, as well, if it's a recurring issue.

In the rare event that I've taken the trouble to actually decant a bottle (vs slow-ox, like Chris, above) and not finish it, I have a handful of Erlenmeyer flasks in different sizes, as well as a couple of spare 375ml bottles, that I'll select from to hold the leftovers, trying to minimize excess air space. I sometimes use the flasks as my decanters, especially if I need to transport the wine in the decanter, as they're sturdy and pretty stable.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 9:27:40 AM   
wine247365

Deleted ( 375 solution posted quicker than mine)

< Message edited by wine247365 -- 12/19/2023 9:29:39 AM >

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

Post #: 6
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 10:42:39 AM   
Claymonster

Thanks for the replies everyone. Appreciate the insights. Gonna have to buy a screwcap 375s and implement that method. Cheers.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 11:26:37 AM   
Chip Merlot

I have a few 375's, a 250 (from duty-free in Paris) and a couple 187.5-ish Barefoot Cellars chardonnay bottles (purchased to cook with), all with screw caps, just for this reason. I've gotten pretty good at sizing up the appetite for wine and filling one of those before decanting or pouring for myself and guests.

< Message edited by Chip Merlot -- 12/19/2023 11:28:24 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 3:40:56 PM   
Franklin 10

Boston Rounds for wine storage became a thing during COVID when virtual tastings were developed, and samples needed to be sent in good containers (glass container, reusable cap, good seal, and recessed closure to eliminate air at the ceiling). I use something like this with great results:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJMRQ79R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B0CJMRQ79R&pd_rd_w=qRfdX&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=1GEY0E3K2PEM1CPDXWEH&pd_rd_wg=asKmP&pd_rd_r=9b3d8df2-6319-4889-ac1c-22aba2fe09a4&s=hi&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

Post #: 9
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/19/2023 7:59:49 PM   
rogerjanss

This is also the perfect use case for Coravin, especially if you do not plan to finish the bottle on the next day. Also if you want to sample multiple bottles (white and red) on same day.

It’s only worth it if you drink it.

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 10
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/20/2023 12:59:20 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster
As many of us do, I decant young wines and give them some air before drinking.

I find many younger wines - red and white - continue to improve for even as much as 3 or 4 days after being decanted, even sitting around in a stoppered half-empty bottle in the fridge. "Younger" is contextual, some wines stay "young" for much longer than others. It generally takes me 3 or 4 days to finish a bottle, as mostly I'm the only drinker. Sometimes I wish I'd put the remains in a smaller bottle, but not often. And since many red wines are actually good to drink on the cool side, it doesn't always annoy me that I have to leave my glass to warm up after pouring on subsequent days.

My usual routine is to decant into a jug and back into the bottle, having rinsed out the bottle if necessary. Quite a few people here have indicated that they do this. That's largely to do with it being easy to put a wine bottle in the fridge, but not a decanter.

I would slow ox an older wine, and try to put the remains in a smaller bottle.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

Post #: 11
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/20/2023 7:42:50 AM   
hankj

I almost never decant a whole bottle of wine. Only.the hardest of the hard. Otherwise pop cork let stand.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 12
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/20/2023 10:58:39 AM   
wine247365

Unless I’ve decided early enough in the day as to what I’m drinking that evening AND have uncorked it for some hours, I always try to decant each bottle of red. I think it helps each wine show better, no matter how young or old or cheap or expensive.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

Post #: 13
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/20/2023 11:51:24 AM   
wadcorp

Wait! You guys don't finish wine?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 14
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/20/2023 11:16:35 PM   
grafstrb

I always decant the full bottle; an important reason why I do this is to get the wine off whatever sediment may be present.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 15
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/21/2023 12:16:49 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

I really, really don't want to drink a whole bottle at a time. For my wife doesn't help me. And for me, a whole bottle would certainly be plenty to give me the unpleasant after-effects of over-indulgence, because I rarely drink that quantity and am unaccustomed to it. Even half a bottle of this increasingly common 14%-15% stuff gets to the point of mildly unpleasant after-effects. And then there is the potential long term health effects of over-indulgence over the longer term. Even when my father is here, we don't finish a whole bottle.

By portioning it out, I can have a glass of wine most days. I suppose I'm lucky that I have the self-control to look at the bottle and say, that's my portion for today, this bottle has to last so many more days. Because I know not everyone can do that.

Maybe it helps that I don't like being drunk, or even tipsy, it's never been a pleasant sensation to me. But I do love the taste of wine. And I'm sure none of us likes the after-effects of over-indulgence.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 16
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/21/2023 8:37:32 AM   
eshelman

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned using a wine preserver (argon gas). On the rare occasions we do not finish a bottle, we use the preserver and recork the bottle. The argon (heavier than air) forms a layer over the wine the prevents further oxygenation. If we decanted the wine, we simply pour the wine back into the bottle. It would take a lot more preserver to properly isolate the wine from the air in a decanter. Using the above method, a red wine put back into the cellar will last at least another week.

Eric Eshelman (Sheldog)
Pinehurst, NC

Post #: 17
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/22/2023 12:57:51 PM   
KPB

My approach if we have no guests is to open but not decant, a few hours early. We drink half, recork, and finish the bottle the next day or the day after.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to eshelman)
Post #: 18
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/22/2023 1:03:53 PM   
Blue Shorts

If I open a wine that needs air, I typically use a Vinturi to aerate the wine a glass at a time. I tend to only use a decanter when I'm concerned about sediment or when with a group at a nice restaurant.....for the presentation,.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 12/22/2023 1:06:15 PM >

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 12/22/2023 1:09:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

If I open a wine that needs air, I typically use a Vinturi to aerate the wine a glass at a time.

Interesting. I've had a Vinturi for 10+ years and have never used it glass by glass. Always do a whole bottle into a decanter. This method in our house is assisted by the fact we have a Vinturi stand added a few years ago, clearance at TJ Maxx I think. But I can certainly see why by the glass might be preferred if the whole bottle is not being consumed.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 12/22/2023 1:10:36 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 20
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 1/12/2024 8:12:44 PM   
davidandrose

When uncertain how a wine will evolve I routinely decant 1/2 to 2/3 of a bottle, leaving the rest in-place and gassing-it off. Of course more often than not we (moreso I) end up draining the bottle before bed, but it really does provide insights regarding how to handle (decant vs slow ox) future bottles.

While we were early adopters of the coravin we quickly became skeptics after revisiting many wines 3-8 months after initially coravining and found a wine that had notably aged. Even did this blind to my wife several times, and her she consistently thought a wine was much older/not as youthful as she had vs initially accessing a bottle several months earlier.

Post #: 21
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 1/13/2024 3:48:32 AM   
KPB

+1 on decanting just what we will drink. And on coravin.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to davidandrose)
Post #: 22
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 1/13/2024 12:40:46 PM   
WineGuyCO

A CT friend turned me on the the Repour Wine Saver & Stopper. They are available on Amazon. Single use that dispenses argon gas into the bottle. Cool & inexpensive.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 23
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 1/14/2024 6:32:26 PM   
River Rat

What do you do? Buy better wine.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 24
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 1/16/2024 10:08:19 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster
As many of us do, I decant young wines and give them some air before drinking.

I find many younger wines - red and white - continue to improve for even as much as 3 or 4 days after being decanted, even sitting around in a stoppered half-empty bottle in the fridge. "Younger" is contextual, some wines stay "young" for much longer than others. It generally takes me 3 or 4 days to finish a bottle, as mostly I'm the only drinker. Sometimes I wish I'd put the remains in a smaller bottle, but not often. And since many red wines are actually good to drink on the cool side, it doesn't always annoy me that I have to leave my glass to warm up after pouring on subsequent days.

My usual routine is to decant into a jug and back into the bottle, having rinsed out the bottle if necessary. Quite a few people here have indicated that they do this. That's largely to do with it being easy to put a wine bottle in the fridge, but not a decanter.

I would slow ox an older wine, and try to put the remains in a smaller bottle.

I know it's personal preference and you've pointed that out by using, "I find...", but I wholeheartedly disagree that many wines improve open over 3 or 4 days. It's a rare occasion that I find a wine to be better on day two or beyond than it was on day one.

I decant roughly 25% of bottles I open but, then again, most of the fine wines I open are aged properly for my palate. When I do decant, I decant the whole bottle and we rarely don't finish it. It helps that my spouse likes wine just as much as I do and two nice glasses isn't too much for us.

< Message edited by BRR -- 1/16/2024 10:09:03 AM >

Cheers!

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 25
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 1/16/2024 11:18:01 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

This would be my recommendation, as well, if it's a recurring issue.

Mark me down as in this camp. I have a couple 375ml screwcap bottles for just this purpose.

quote:

My wife won't drink Port, and I rarely have more than 1 glass at night, so your answer in that case is "yes, I don't finish a bottle of Port in one sitting."

;

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 26
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 2/18/2024 12:20:46 AM   
GraemeG

quote:

Indeed. This notion of "unfinished wine" is very confusing to me.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 27
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 2/22/2024 11:55:06 AM   
mutwonmax

I usually try a glass from the bottle before decanting any wine. Sometimes I decant for aesthetic reasons alone. But mostly I decant when I get the feeling the wine could be better than what it tastes from with the first sips, especially so when it tastes not integrated enough / round enough / too acidic. Some Riojas I have, give me that sensation even when they are 5 -10 years old. And some of those taste a lot better to me on day two (or even day 3) than on day one. The most fitting example from my cellar here is the "Vina Real Gran Reserva" form 2014 or 2015. Those bottles I usually try to open a day in advance. Then I decant half the bottle for day two and on day 3 I pour from the bottle or decant the rest. Such wines, where I hope for improvement over 1-2 days I dont even put into the fridge over night. Ill put them back into the cellar where there's around 16 C°. I only decant the entire bottle when Im sure it'll be finished in one sitting (but - alas - we dont live in a perfect world ;-)

Seperating the wine from winestone or similar residue in the bottle has never been a reason for me to decant. I think Im fairly alone on this one and only for very few wines the residue at the bottom of a bottle is considered drinkable (like some good burgundys or so). However, I never found it difficult to pour a bottle and hold the residue back while pouring the (more or less) last sip from it.

(in reply to GraemeG)
Post #: 28
RE: Do you always decant the full bottle? - 2/22/2024 12:17:34 PM   
wicozani

Unless it's a 30-year red Bordeaux, nearly every bottle of red wine (and quite a few bottles of white wine including Champagne) get tossed in an ehrlenmeyer decanter. The changes can be enormous, especially for those bottles that appear initially well over-the-hill. Even inexpensive bottles are usually improved by decanting.

I am less impressed with the 'slow ox' approach. Unless a few ounces is poured out of the bottle and said bottle being agitated, there is in my view insufficient air flow when simply opening and being left open.

(in reply to mutwonmax)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you always decant the full bottle? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI