CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR: NY city folks need info plz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: NY city folks need info plz Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 10:18:58 AM   
pault

Taking daughter for interview at one source marketing solutions, 108 w 39th street, NY NY

Any problems driving in that area? Easy to get to? Anyone know anybody there? 

Anyplace good to eat dinner there before we head back. Driving from NH.

Post or PM me, thanks in advance.

Paul

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt
Post #: 1
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 10:48:04 AM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: pault

Taking daughter for interview at one source marketing solutions, 108 w 39th street, NY NY

Any problems driving in that area? Easy to get to? Anyone know anybody there? 

Paul

You will almost certainly have problems driving in that area.  What time is the interview?  If it is early, you should come into town the night before, or stay nearby and take a train into NY that morning.  Driving into the city in rush hour traffic will make you insane.  In addition, you will be about 5 blocks from Times Square - bad traffic any tim of day.

It is pretty easy to get there, though (if you ignore the million other people heading in the same general direction at the same general time).  I would come down the east side (FDR Drive) and cut over on 34th street.  If you come down the west side, you will run into Lincoln Tunnel traffic.  You could take the train into Grand central, but you might not want to walk to the building from there.  You could take a cab from Grand Central. 

As for food, don't eat in Times Square.  I haven't lived in NYC for years, so I don't know the new good foodie places, but I'm sure someone else can giev you some ideas.

Greg

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 11:56:55 AM   
pault

My Intent was to leave early in the AM and get there around 2 ish , I was hoping traffic wasnt that bad at that time.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 12:07:10 PM   
Serge Birbrair

You'll be much better off taking train. My nostalgia about NYC is usually gone withing the first hour driving in Manhattan. The subway is the fastest and cheapest way to get around the city.

tsk....

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 4
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 12:08:47 PM   
deb293

Traffic is bad all the time. (Wait, one exception...early am New Year's Day.)

< Message edited by deb293 -- 9/15/2009 12:11:21 PM >

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 12:15:29 PM   
smahk

Paul:

Traffic is always bad - and broadway is closed at time square.

You shoud leave yourself at least 1 hour from the GW Bridge - it could take you 20 minutes or ????.

Additionally, leave 20 -30 minutes to locate parking. There is a parking garage right next door to your address - but they may not have space. Not to worry - around the corner on 40th are 2 more. Be prepared to pay $25 for just the afternoon.

Remember there is NEVER right on red, predestrian have the right of way when making a right on green and do NOT enter an intersection if you cannot make it through before the light turns red. That is called "blocking the box" and results in double fines.

I second the idea of arriving in NYC in the evening, parking your car at your hotel (valet) and walking or taking a cab to the appointment the next day.

Hells Kitchen is two blocks west of your destination and has some great restaurants that are up and coming.

I will add caution again when leaving the city - rush hour starts around 3:30 and lasts until about 7 PM. If you can avoid those hours you will save yourself a lot of aggrevation.

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 6
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 12:18:55 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

Traffic is bad all the time. (Wait, one exception...early am New Year's Day.)

And summer weekends.  I used to love how empty it was on summer mornings.

Greg

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 7
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 1:38:57 PM   
deb293

Yeah, but there's still 6 million people staying in town.  Anyway, that nostalgia won't help pault.  See smahk's very sensible post above.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 9/15/2009 1:40:24 PM >

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 8
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 1:59:04 PM   
pault

OK Plan B ,,, is there a place where I can drive to out side the city , park my car and take a train or cab into the city?
Something like that would work,, If so where and how long by train to get  to that area 
thks

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 9
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 2:03:49 PM   
deb293

People may think I'm crazy, but Douglaston Queens is a short hop (15 min. on LIRR) into Penn Station and you may find parking near the LIRR stop (city streets) in Douglaston.  But perhaps a little tricky for the uninitiated.

Or, if you do come into NYC, stay way west, and find a lot on the west side (cheaper than midtown).  Then subway or cab to your daughter's interview.  If you do end up by 10th or 11th Avenue, I'd recommend Red Cat for dinner.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 9/15/2009 2:05:10 PM >

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 10
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 2:34:09 PM   
pault

Evidently this place has 2 locations , new address is in Long island city

22-19 41st Avenue

but it prob has the same issues and concerns,

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 11
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 2:56:23 PM   
deb293

Are we talking about the restaurant?  http://www.theredcat.com/redcat.html

10th Avenue, in Chelsea.  It has a "sister" restaurant in Tribeca called "The Harrison." 

< Message edited by deb293 -- 9/15/2009 2:57:19 PM >

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 12
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/15/2009 5:41:22 PM   
mclancy10006

VERY VERY important thing to note. The town is about to go to proverbial Hell as the UN General Assembly is starting. So if you are here the end of this week or next week at all be warned. This means even more chaos than normal as you have a ton of heads of state in NYC. I seriously suggest driving to somewhere outside of town and taking the train. Stamford CT is easy enough. The Metro-North train station is right off on I-95 and ~45mins ride. Most New Haven line trains are express to/from Stamford. See http://www.mta.info/mnr/index.html

-Mark

< Message edited by mclancy10006 -- 9/15/2009 5:46:04 PM >

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 13
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/16/2009 4:51:42 AM   
pault

Thanks for all your feedback, help and concerns..

Evidently this place has 2 locations , the interview is in Long island city , going tomorrow(thursday)

22-19 41st Avenue .

It appears I will take the stamford train , metro north to Grand Central, from there I need to grab either of these routes. Does anyone know if one is better than the other, or is it a toss up.

Subway:

7 to Queensboro Plaza, walk back toward Manhattan until you reach 23rd Street. Right on 23rd Street. Left on 41st Avenue. Our building is on 41st Avenue between 22nd and 23rd Streets.
F train to 21st Street/Queensbridge. (corner of 21st Street and 41st Ave.) walk two blocks up the hill on 41st Ave. Our building is on 41st Avenue between 22nd and 23rd Streets.

I hope theres something to poke around in the area while I  am waiting for her.
Thanks Again.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 14
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/16/2009 6:05:11 AM   
Serge Birbrair

LIC is in Queens, not in Manhattan, the parking and driving is MUCH easier, you can park the car on the street.

re:poking around. There are lots of ethnic restaurants in the area and if you like Greek food, Astoria is a stone throw away.
(Lots of Greeks living in Astoria).

tsk....

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 15
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/16/2009 6:19:08 AM   
jamjo

9th Av. in the 30's and 40's has very good places to eat. Away from tourisimo magnets like Hard Rock Cafe. Just walk down 9th ave and you will be able to review posted menus. Good luck.

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 16
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/16/2009 9:44:59 AM   
gbm

Ahh.  I live in Stamford, but I am traveling the end of this week.  (Though it doesn't appear you will have all that much time.)

However, if you are in Stamford for dinner, there are a bunch of great local restaurants.  PM me if you want some options for dinner.

Greg

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 17
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/17/2009 6:32:40 AM   
smahk

Paul:

Is the interview in Manhattan or Long Island City?

If it is in Long Island City - you should drive to it - traffic is not as bad and there is plenty of parking - as Serge noted, this is Queens, a different Borough than Manhattan and far easier to navigate.

Additionally, if you google wine shops and Long Island City, you should have plenty to poke around in. It is an interesting place, not really as cultural as Manhattan but you should find plenty to do.

If you are so inclined as to journey into Manhattan after the interview, take the 7 train into Manhattan and get off at Times Square. That will put you into the heart of the City and allow you access to the west side restaurants described before in this post.

good Luck.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 18
RE: NWR: NY city folks need info plz - 9/17/2009 6:49:15 PM   
pault

Just got back. Safe trip, took the train from stamford, glad I did. If theres a next time will try driving.

Thanks for all the info.

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: NY city folks need info plz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI