CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Tough Pairing-Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs (Recipe now inside!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tough Pairing-Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs (Recipe now inside!) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tough Pairing-Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs (Recip... - 1/11/2010 4:44:34 PM   
Rossodio

Hey guys -

I've done a couple of these before, and now I have one that is really wracking my brain... I'm making roasted root vegetables with herbs (whole garlic cloves, parsnips, carrots, red onions, turnips, sage, thyme, rosemary, sea salt, and black pepper; really easy to make and VERY good), and having a rotisserie chicken alongside it. This would naturally pair well with a lot of beers I can think of (like a weizenbock, among others), but I am having trouble thinking of how to pair it with any of my wines. Any of my wines you guys think would go well with this dinner? It'll be ready in the next hour, so I'll be checking in to see what y'all think :)

Link to my cellar (wines with quantities in parentheses are not available to me)

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 1/13/2010 8:29:14 AM >

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

Post #: 1
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 4:51:19 PM   
annerk

Normally I pair Syrah with roasted root vegetables.  But not so much with chicken.  I'd lean towards a Pinot Noir like a Kosta Browne or a Sea Smoke.  Hearty and intense.

The other options might be a zinfandel or maybe a grenache.  Or go with a really intense oaked chardonnay, something like a Cakebread Reserve might do the trick.

I don't really know the wines in your cellar, but given my descriptors, you should be able to find something that matches.

< Message edited by annerk -- 1/11/2010 4:55:23 PM >

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 2
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 4:58:33 PM   
Rossodio

Yeah, was considering my Zinfandel ('07 Seghesio), but unfortunately my new world portfolio is rather small. I do have an '02 Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz, and a more oaky cheaper shiraz ('06 Marquis Philips), but I thought honestly despite their richer profile they still may be overwhelmed by the roots. Don't know... but I'm definitely not using any of my red burgs (you mentioned pinot, but I don't think that's what you had in mind!) ;) I'm also thinking about my 2004 Maison Arnoux & Fils Vacqueyras Vieux Clocher Cuvée Jean-Marie Arnoux...

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 4:59:47 PM   
Eric

Chateauneuf du Pape handles this with ease...

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 4
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 5:20:01 PM   
mbannon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

Chateauneuf du Pape handles this with ease...

That's where I'd land, too.  Something from a "normal" year, though, not one of the big ones.  And preferably something with a bit of age on it.

< Message edited by mbannon -- 1/11/2010 5:21:32 PM >

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 5
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 5:21:05 PM   
ob2s

If you don't want to bust into a CdP try this one, it will work nicely.
2006 Perrin & Fils Vacqueyras Les Christins

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 6
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 5:36:32 PM   
dsGris

Thank for the tip.  I am a roasted veggie fan, but both the CdP and Vacqueyras are on hold for shipping.  May just have to stop at the local wine store to get some.  D

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 7
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 5:39:17 PM   
cgrimes

I agree with above that nearly any level Southern Rhone would pair nicely with your meal, especially if you will also be having roast chicken. 
Craig

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 8
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 5:44:45 PM   
sonofabacchus

Try a light Bourgogne or Petit Verdot (the '06 Chapillon comes to mind). They work well with Thanksgiving stuffing. Depending on how heavy things are, a rose sparkler might be a fun experiment.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 9
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 5:45:05 PM   
mocamro

another vote for Southern Rhone...I think my first choice from your cellar would be Vacqueyras

Milos Cam-Robb

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 10
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 6:29:34 PM   
garetjax_kison

Yet another vote for a wine from the Southern Rhone.  Your cellar lists several choices...

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 11
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/11/2010 8:03:12 PM   
Kermadur

I'd go for your Luberon. The meal sounds lovely - let us know how it turns out!

Annie

(in reply to garetjax_kison)
Post #: 12
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 12:46:03 AM   
Khamen

Big, warm and spicy. Ripe Rhone blends or (better for me) a large scale Aussie shiraz or GSM blend.

K

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 13
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 1:08:25 AM   
pjaines

CDP - or Languedoc red - something with a nice herby, gritty palate

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 14
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 5:51:51 AM   
Maestro

Have you considered a young-drinking Nebbiolo such as a Produttori Langhe or a nice Gattinara?

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 15
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 2:56:10 PM   
GalvezGuy

Southern Rhone

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to Maestro)
Post #: 16
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 3:11:20 PM   
oskiwawa

I am probably out in left field on this one but I would go with the Pouilly Fuisse.   Even better would be a white Hermitage.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 17
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 3:39:53 PM   
kelpcowboy

The 06 Ferrando CdP would pair beautifully.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. -- Mitch Ratcliffe

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 18
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 6:22:12 PM   
Rossodio

So I went with my '04 Vacqueyras -- which was a phenomenal qpr in and of itself -- and it went very very well with this dish. I think that all of my CdP's are too young to be drinking now, though the '06 Ferrando was tempting... Now I know -- this kind of dish demands a good S. Rhone wine (maybe I'll do the Luberon next time!).

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 19
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 8:37:38 PM   
grafstrb

without having read others' replies, and knowing very well that your dinner is likely already in your belly, i'll throw-out my suggestion for posterity sake: the chicken eliminates many options right off the bat, and the garlic eliminates nearly all reds (in my mind, it eliminates all reds) as well as oaky whites.  I bet an off-dry Riesling would work well -- a Spatlese would be my choice.

EDIT: wow, i'm amazed at all the CdP recos.  glad it was a success.  looking forward to your next pairing challenge.

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 1/12/2010 8:44:36 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 20
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/12/2010 8:49:12 PM   
grafstrb

this would have been my rec: 2007 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 21
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 1:38:25 AM   
Eric

Riesling would drink great as well too. I guess you will have to do it again and let us know how it goes. 

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 22
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 8:17:04 AM   
Rossodio

Yeah, the root vegetable recipe is about as easy as it gets to make. Since it sounds like a lot of people are at the very least interested in the pairing, I'll share the recipe I use. This came from trial and error, and is fantastic this way:

Root vegetables and others, peeled and cut into larger bite sized pieces and adding in total to 2 lbs or so:
Carrots
Parsnips
Turnips
Red Onion
Potatoes (the little assortment bag of small multicolored potatoes works if they're quartered)
Anything else you can think of along these lines (I guess celery might work?)

Plus about 5-15 cloves of garlic, seperated but unpeeled and uncut

Sea salt and black or white pepper to taste

Extra virgin olive oil (don't use any high-end stuff, just the big jug you use for cooking; the recipe takes at *least* 1/2 cup)

Herbs of your choice (just think what would go well in here... thyme, sage, rosemary, tarragon, etc)

1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees (standard bake; convection bake or convection roast, I'm not sure the conversion)
2) Get all dry ingredients including sea salt and pepper and place them in a roasting pan. Pour olive oil on (about 1/4-1/2 cup or more) and toss to coat evenly. There should be a very shallow pool of oil on the bottom of the pan. It's easiest if you use your hands.
3) For a convection oven, roast for 30 mins or until some of the vegetables begin to brown on the outside, tossing with a spatula every 10 minutes to prevent burning on one side or the other. For a standard oven, same procedure, tossing every 10 minutes, but cook for 40-70 minutes, again until the veggies have browned for at least a few minutes.
4) Scoop out of the pan and serve hot.

Don't eat the shells of the garlic cloves - just cut or squeeze the garlic out of the inside. The roasting really softens the flavor up.

There you have it... I think a riesling might work well too. It is a natural match for so many chicken dishes... In fact, I'll do a riesling next time I make this recipe, likely next winter. If any of you makes this recipe, let me know how it goes, and what you paired it with, I'd love to know.

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 1/13/2010 8:23:59 AM >

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 23
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 8:51:45 AM   
RobRah

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

I am probably out in left field on this one... Even better would be a white Hermitage.

^^^ Wot they said! ^^^

Or St Joseph. Or other nutty, herby, dry styles with some age behind them.

My CT Profile

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 24
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 8:53:24 AM   
Khamen

The nice thing about wine and food is there's no wrong answer - what works for you works for you

K

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 25
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 1:41:36 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

The nice thing about wine and food is there's no wrong answer - what works for you works for you

K

tru dat! that's why i love these threads -- it's always fun to see the different angles from which different folks approach these pairings. keep 'em coming, rossodio!

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 1/13/2010 1:42:30 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 26
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 2:13:06 PM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

without having read others' replies, and knowing very well that your dinner is likely already in your belly, i'll throw-out my suggestion for posterity sake: the chicken eliminates many options right off the bat, and the garlic eliminates nearly all reds (in my mind, it eliminates all reds) as well as oaky whites.  I bet an off-dry Riesling would work well -- a Spatlese would be my choice.

EDIT: wow, i'm amazed at all the CdP recos.  glad it was a success.  looking forward to your next pairing challenge.

grafs,
Southern Rhone Reds (but not necessesarily CdP) have become my favorite pairing with Roasted Chicken, especially if herbed in any way and accompanied by nearly any roasted vegetable.  Palates are a funny thing, aren't they?
Craig

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 27
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 2:55:39 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

grafs,
Southern Rhone Reds (but not necessesarily CdP) have become my favorite pairing with Roasted Chicken, especially if herbed in any way and accompanied by nearly any roasted vegetable.  Palates are a funny thing, aren't they?
Craig

indeed, they are! that's why i love these threads. i can see how a so. rhone red would pair well with herbed roasted chicken, but i shy away from that pairing unless i'm familiar with the particular wine -- i say this b/c i usually find so. rhones to be too powerful for the pairing - they usually overwhelm the chicken. of course, my so. rhone pairings are almost always CdR's or CdP's, which tend to be pretty big wines. every once in a while i do come across a lighter-styled version, which i can imagine would be a wonderful pairing. but even more than the chicken/red wine thing, i find that garlic has a way of absolutely killing my palate for wine, with only an incredibly acidic and/or high r.s. wine being able to cut through the clamps that garlic tends to place on my palate.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 28
RE: Toughest Pairing Challenge ever... Roasted Root Veg... - 1/13/2010 11:51:11 PM   
NiklasW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rossodio

Yeah, the root vegetable recipe is about as easy as it gets to make. Since it sounds like a lot of people are at the very least interested in the pairing, I'll share the recipe I use. This came from trial and error, and is fantastic this way:

Root vegetables and others, peeled and cut into larger bite sized pieces and adding in total to 2 lbs or so:
Carrots
Parsnips
Turnips
Red Onion
Potatoes (the little assortment bag of small multicolored potatoes works if they're quartered)
Anything else you can think of along these lines (I guess celery might work?)

Plus about 5-15 cloves of garlic, seperated but unpeeled and uncut

Sea salt and black or white pepper to taste

Extra virgin olive oil (don't use any high-end stuff, just the big jug you use for cooking; the recipe takes at *least* 1/2 cup)

Herbs of your choice (just think what would go well in here... thyme, sage, rosemary, tarragon, etc)

1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees (standard bake; convection bake or convection roast, I'm not sure the conversion)
2) Get all dry ingredients including sea salt and pepper and place them in a roasting pan. Pour olive oil on (about 1/4-1/2 cup or more) and toss to coat evenly. There should be a very shallow pool of oil on the bottom of the pan. It's easiest if you use your hands.
3) For a convection oven, roast for 30 mins or until some of the vegetables begin to brown on the outside, tossing with a spatula every 10 minutes to prevent burning on one side or the other. For a standard oven, same procedure, tossing every 10 minutes, but cook for 40-70 minutes, again until the veggies have browned for at least a few minutes.
4) Scoop out of the pan and serve hot.

Don't eat the shells of the garlic cloves - just cut or squeeze the garlic out of the inside. The roasting really softens the flavor up.

There you have it... I think a riesling might work well too. It is a natural match for so many chicken dishes... In fact, I'll do a riesling next time I make this recipe, likely next winter. If any of you makes this recipe, let me know how it goes, and what you paired it with, I'd love to know.

I do something very similar, but in a frying pan, not the oven! And yes, root celery goes great with the other veggies. Languedoc reds are what I usually serve with this.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tough Pairing-Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs (Recipe now inside!) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI