CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

WA reds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> WA reds Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WA reds - 9/13/2011 7:19:24 AM   
VTCellarDweller

I am looking for Washington state reds ($30-$65) with an emphasis on style and finesse to add to my collection. Fruit bombs and ponderous wines over 14.5 ABV would not be candidates. Also, reputable internet sellers with good stock and prices. Suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 8:54:23 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: jerwin1943

I am looking for Washington state reds ($30-$65) with an emphasis on style and finesse to add to my collection. Fruit bombs and ponderous wines over 14.5 ABV would not be candidates. Also, reputable internet sellers with good stock and prices. Suggestions?

I've been thinning out my WA state collection to make some room in my cellar. I've sold to several people on this forum and I think they would give me a good referral (at least for my wine selling, not sure anyone will stand behind my posts... )

I'm offering most wines at or slightly below market/purchase price, and many already have 2-5 years of bottle age on them. If you are interested, I will try to finalize this list by early next week and can send it to you.

Outside of that there are many good retailers in the Northwest to choose from, I'll try to post some options when I have a bit more time but I'm sure other Forum mates will give you some good rec's...

(in reply to VTCellarDweller)
Post #: 2
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 9:03:48 AM   
caeleric

+1 on buying from hollowine. he has a pretty awesome collection of excellent wa wines that cover all styles. he was a breeze to work with and priced everything fairly. the pricing isn't really an issue though, given that many of these wines are not available outside of wa.

i can't help you on the producers, since it sounds like our palates are pretty opposite. i've enjoyed all the big fruit bombs with apparent oak, and have not found as much pleasure in the tighter, more austere wines.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 3
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 9:40:07 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

+1 on buying from hollowine. he has a pretty awesome collection of excellent wa wines that cover all styles. he was a breeze to work with and priced everything fairly. the pricing isn't really an issue though, given that many of these wines are not available outside of wa.

Concur. Minimally take Hollowine up on his offer to see a list of what he's got to see if there's something you're interested in. For all of his other character flaws (too numerous to list here ), my "transactions" with him have been great.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 4
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 9:43:32 AM   
VTCellarDweller

Hollowine-I would be interested in the bdx blend reds. Send me a PM and we can follow up offline.

< Message edited by jerwin1943 -- 9/13/2011 9:44:22 AM >

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 5
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 10:01:54 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Ditto that for me, Hollowine, please. PM or winestrategies@gmail.com

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

Post #: 6
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 10:07:41 AM   
drycab

He's about to send me a box of wine that I could forward to you for the right justification, poke-poke-wink-wink.
I could say it just got lost........

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 7
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 10:21:14 AM   
Hollowine

OK, anyone who is interested just PM me your email address and I'll send the list by email when complete. Thanks.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 8
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 11:00:57 AM   
musedir

did you say "boxed wine"? wink, wink...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 9
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 11:35:57 AM   
Vinsant

Full Pull wines offers a decent array of WA wines. I'd recommend Buty and Gramercy as easily available balanced examples of WA state fruit.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 10
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 12:28:28 PM   
IncaRoads

I have had really good experiences with Northwest-Wine.com. Great selection of WA wines, more-than-fair pricing and shipping charges, and friendly, hassle-free customer service. Have fun building your WA collection!

http://www.northwest-wine.com/

(in reply to Vinsant)
Post #: 11
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 12:34:05 PM   
Old Doug

Communists are taking over Washington State?

(in reply to IncaRoads)
Post #: 12
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 12:35:04 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Starring Patrick Swayze.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 13
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 1:09:35 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

Starring Patrick Swayze.

Wolverine!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 14
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 1:39:50 PM   
mgriffith

Something must be wrong with Chris (either that or his dependency on income has kicked in again) that he has not spoken up on this thread.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 15
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 1:55:36 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

Something must be wrong with Chris (either that or his dependency on income has kicked in again) that he has not spoken up on this thread.

Would he be buying or selling?

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 16
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 3:24:05 PM   
musedir

He's traveling on biz... Trust me, he will.

I would add Steppe, Rotie and Adams Bench to that short list... While waiting for Chris or Hallowine to jump in.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 17
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 4:33:34 PM   
mclancy10006

My WA 'short list' within you parameters would be:
Stevens, Pomum, Mark Ryan, and Guardian.

There are many other good ones too!

-Mark
p.s. +1 on Hollowine as your dealer. :)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 18
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 5:54:02 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: IncaRoads

I have had really good experiences with Northwest-Wine.com. Great selection of WA wines, more-than-fair pricing and shipping charges, and friendly, hassle-free customer service. Have fun building your WA collection!

decent prices and a nice selection almost got me in bug trouble!

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to IncaRoads)
Post #: 19
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 6:10:22 PM   
dsGris

quote:

quote:

quote:

Florida is more likely to have bug trouble, we do not have that many bugs up here unless you are at a mountain lake in July.
Now the wine can get you in big trouble, bug trouble if you leave the cork out.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 20
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 6:33:44 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Lots of good info on here, and to let mgriffith know that I am alive I'll add my 2 cents. The critieria mentioned are almost a trick question, WA reds less than 14.5% and not big fruit...

One that comes to mind immediately for me are the Columbia Winery Vineyard Series, Red Willow and Otis Vineyard, Cabs and Syrahs from the oldest vines of each in the state. Very elegant and approachable wines 13.5-14.1 % Alcohol in the ~$30 range. Probably have to purchase on-line direct from winery.

Other wineries that I think of for low alcohol, elegent wines are Seven Hills out of Walla Walla and, believe it or not, Bonair, reserve series in Zillah. I say believe it or not because Bonair produces a lot of <$10 grocery store wine, available mainly in WA, but their reserve Merlot and Cab have impressed me with their balance and elegance. Seven Hills same elegence and wines that wouldn't stand out in a lineup as being overpowering. Seven Hill is available online amd maybe through some retailers. Bonair is winery direct only I think on their reserves.

ETA, I found this retailer VinSentio, has a very wide selection of small production Washington wineries. I've never used them, except I think Steppe once shipped a case for me through them. Many of my favorite local (Yakima Valley) wineries are listed here that I've never seen anywhere else on-line including two of my absolute favorites, Steppe and Upland.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 9/13/2011 7:25:15 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 21
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 6:40:01 PM   
pbm

Thanks to the advice of some of you my 2008 Novelty Hill cabs arrived today. Looking forward to opening one on Thursday evening.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 22
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 7:38:12 PM   
chimpanzee29

I, for one, would immediately seek out Betz family winery. I find the reviews on cellartracker mixed, but I am an unwavering fan. Bob Betz makes a fantastic lineup of syrahs that are less fruit bomb (as compared to a blueberry mess that some NW syrahs are known for) but with fantastic fruit depth. These nicely showcase the variation in WA state terrior.
Betz of course also makes the pere de famille and clos de betz, which are crafted in the image of left and right bank bordeaux blends, respectively. Never disappoint. But sorry, mailing list is closed. Markup on secondary market should not be high,

Good luck!

C

Post #: 23
RE: WA reds - 9/13/2011 9:25:40 PM   
khmark7

I would suggest Andrew Will and Fielding Hills wineries as outstanding producers of Cab, Merlot and Syrah.  I have also purchased from St. Laurent and Maison Bleue.  Good luck!

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to chimpanzee29)
Post #: 24
RE: WA reds - 9/14/2011 5:16:42 AM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsGris

quote:

quote:

quote:

Florida is more likely to have bug trouble, we do not have that many bugs up here unless you are at a mountain lake in July.
Now the wine can get you in big trouble, bug trouble if you leave the cork out.

Ha ha smart a$$!! Yeah, I meant BIG trouble

what i got

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 25
RE: WA reds - 9/14/2011 7:52:35 AM   
Eric

quote:

ORIGINAL: chimpanzee29

I, for one, would immediately seek out Betz family winery. I find the reviews on cellartracker mixed, but I am an unwavering fan. Bob Betz makes a fantastic lineup of syrahs that are less fruit bomb (as compared to a blueberry mess that some NW syrahs are known for) but with fantastic fruit depth. These nicely showcase the variation in WA state terrior.
Betz of course also makes the pere de famille and clos de betz, which are crafted in the image of left and right bank bordeaux blends, respectively. Never disappoint. But sorry, mailing list is closed. Markup on secondary market should not be high,

Good luck!
C

My chief reco as well.

Also try ROSS ANDREW WINERY.

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to chimpanzee29)
Post #: 26
RE: WA reds - 9/14/2011 10:52:12 AM   
tourette

Can you get Betz in the $30 - $65 range?

And I second the recommendation to sign up for the Full Pull list. Even if you never buy anything, you can learn a bunch about Washington wine from their emails.

http://www.fullpullwines.com/website/

Jeff

(in reply to Eric)
Post #: 27
RE: WA reds - 9/14/2011 1:04:54 PM   
recotte

By some odd twist of fate, today's Full Pull email is for... wait for it... Betz!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to tourette)
Post #: 28
RE: WA reds - 9/15/2011 12:15:09 AM   
pdemaio

Hard to find lower alcohol wines in WA. Some suggestions. Darby Purple Haze. Maison Bleue anything. Januik Columbia Vally Cab Sauv might be low enough.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 29
RE: WA reds - 9/15/2011 9:23:47 AM   
Stirling

Personally, I would not pay too much attention to the stated ABV level. First, wineries are allowed so much leeway that the quoted number is not terribly relevant. Second, I have noticed that if the wine is made in a balanced style, statistically high ABV is not really apparent in the wines taste and aroma. That said, I won't steer you toward anything "too big". So stay away from Charles Smith's Syrahs.

In your price range, I would recommend:

Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cab S.
Woodward Canyon Merlot
Darby Aunt Lee Syrah
Andrew Will Ciel de Cheval (Right Bank blend)
Ch. Ste Michelle single vineyard Cab S and Merlot (Cold Creek and Indian Wells Vineyards)
DeLille D2 (Right bank blend)
McCrea Syrah Cuvee Orleans

WA is very consistent so choosing a vintage is not terribly important. From what I hear, the 09"s which should be starting to hit the shelves should be a stand out, as were the 07"s.

If you are at all a white wine fan, check out some of the Viognier. Mark Ryan and Novelty are two worthy of mention.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to pdemaio)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> WA reds Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI