CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/26/2024 3:14:36 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Is anybody attending this event this year? We are going in a semi-official capacity and will be ambassadors for our friends Justin and Brooke Neufeld, aka JB Neufeld. I don't know their tradition, but many wineries have an" under the table" bottle or two. We will add a library JBN wine or two if it works for J and B. Not sure what else we might try to do, other than enjoy the buzz of the event.

We went probably 10 years ago and tried to hit as many wineries as possible and boy, talk about palate fatigue by end of Day 2. I also attended a seminar or two, which I might do this year, too. Those structured tastings are fun, and since I won't be walking the floor this year, might be more doable, without exhaustion.

Anybody else attending?

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173
Post #: 1
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/28/2024 3:17:27 AM   
Jenise

Used to love this kind of thing but the days of combat tasting for me are over. Too many people, and literally too much wine. Even with spitting and being very selective it's hard to stay sober.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/28/2024 8:50:00 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jenise

Used to love this kind of thing but the days of combat tasting for me are over. Too many people, and literally too much wine. Even with spitting and being very selective it's hard to stay sober.

For sure agree with this, that's why we are going to help friends manage the chaos, rather than contribute to it. I am sure we will sample a few wines, but to use your term, combat tastings are no fun. I do like the buzz of this type of event, not the alcohol buzz, but the energy of a few thousand people buzzing around a room with 200 wineries.

I attend a trade show or two each year, and those seem similar, even without any alcohol involved.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 3
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/28/2024 12:44:29 PM   
skifree

I went to a seminar last year and really enjoyed it, haven't made any plans to attend this year - yet. Waiting to sort out my skiing plans before committing to anything else next month.

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 4
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/28/2024 2:46:30 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

I went to a seminar last year and really enjoyed it, haven't made any plans to attend this year - yet. Waiting to sort out my skiing plans before committing to anything else next month.

THIS. The seminars would make it for me a lot more than the open tasting. Last year I applied too late to get into the ones that would have made it worth the trip down. This year, my husband's progressive illness makes it hard to commit in advance to anything I can't back out of at the last minute.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 5
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/28/2024 3:37:18 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I did reserve ($75) for the Rhone seminar this year, Saturday morning. Oddly they are at a hotel off site from the Lumen field conference center, but I guess that allows them to be attended independently, which is fine.

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 6
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/29/2024 6:26:10 AM   
Jenise

Chris, that would be a big bonus for people only coming for the seminar (easy come and go, dedicated parking).

Post #: 7
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/29/2024 12:08:14 PM   
skifree

I assume that they are at the 4 Seasons again down on 1st Ave. They have ballrooms of the appropriate size on the second floor.

A wonderful benefit to that location is that a Fran's chocolate store is also there.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 8
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/29/2024 12:46:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Embassy Suites, Pioneer square. It is billed as "across the street" from Lumen Field, and while that may be technically correct, the Grand Tasting is in the Events Center on South end of Lumen, while the hotel is North of the stadium and across a parking lot. Probably a half mile away. Quite a little hike for me these days, so we'll be Ubering everywhere from a home base (Marriott points) hotel in South Lake Union.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 9
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 2/29/2024 1:54:07 PM   
fingers

I want to go, but Uber is telling me $1658 each way

Post #: 10
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 3/18/2024 12:41:36 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

We went, we tasted, we survived!

The Rhone Seminar on Saturday morning was fantastic. 7-8 panelists led by Patrick Comiskey who gave a good history of Rhone varieties, really in America, but with a Washington (Oregon) slant. I knew most of the story but still compelling, with a nice nod to Mike Sauer/David Lake, but certainly focus on Christophe Baron influence in Rocks of MF in Walla Walla Valley. The panel included Owen Bargreen, Chris Peterson, Jeff Lindsay-Thorson, Morgan Lee, Lisa Lawrence, Beth(??) of E3 restaurant group. Good cross section, except nobody really representing growers in the main Syrah regions, which to me are W2 and Yak. I sat next to, and talked quite a bit with, Todd Newhouse of Upland. He is now chair of Washington Wine Commission, after serving as chair of WA winegrowers. Funny thing is his beard has grown to look like Tom Hanks in Cast Away, but he had on cap the said Varietal. That is brewery in Sunnyside and it ratted him out for me! I guess he didn't want to be on his own panel. Dick Boushey and Bob Betz were also in the room, but I never saw Ryan Johnson nor Christophe.

There were 10 ten wines, 3 white, 2 Grenache, 2 Mourvèdre, 1 GSM, 2 Syrah. To my palate, the star was WeatherEye Vineyard. Granted there were no Cayuse wines, but the Rocks examples, while showing Rocks character, were outclassed by 2021 WeatherEye Grenache, and 2021 Liminal GSM/WeatherEye. Neither of the Mourvèdres' did much for me, and the 2020 Grosgrain Les Collines outshined the Two Vintners Rocks Syrah, imo. Rotie's 2022 Southern White was my favorite white.

Good for me that I have all of those in our cellar except the Liminal, but I'm on that mailing list, haven't bought much since WeatherEye's own label came out, but may grab a few.

The Grand Tasting was chaos as normal. My mobility was limited and especially on first day I felt unsafe at times. I should have taken a cane to whack at people, but I am not using it for steadiness so left it at home. Anyway, sorta by default I stayed near center stage (where there were benches) and ventured out in short loops, hitting max 3-4 wineries, and food at same time. This worked well, and I focused almost entirely on winery names I did not recognize. Out of ~200 wineries there I "knew" close to 150, so that, plus my mobility, really narrowed my focus, and let me not worry about the chaos. I took really BAD notes, if at all, but did write down the wineries that impressed me most favorably.

Day 1: Sharp elbows needed. I lost count a bit, but I visited ~15 new to me wineries. Standouts were:

Damsel. Marsanne and Syrah... really excellent wines that I need to add a few.
Pearl and Stone, Cab Franc/Merlot. Interesting niche winery in North Bend, but solid vineyard choices in Yak mostly.
Cataclysm, Merlot, Cab. Ny notes here are sparce.
Julian Margot, Marsanne, GSM, Merlot. First winery tasted, but good start, young couple from Wisconsin, relocated to Seattle to live the dream.
Dossier, Sauv Blanc, Cab, Syrah. My neighbor Kieth taught the winemaker in middle school, so we chatted about him. He makes really good wine in W2.
Grosgrain - Anglianico/Nebbiolo blend at the tasting, Les Collines Syrah at the seminar. Went back again on Day 2 to revisit. I really dug all of the wines but these 2 stood out. Maybe my first ever Anglianico.

Day 2: Strayed a bit off the "newbies only" theme, but still hit 12-13 new to me wineries.

Momento - Petite Verdot. A really tough varietal to bottle as a stand alone wine, but this one is great and demands a big steak.
Rush Lattin - GSM, Syrah, Cab blend, really solid line-up by a newbie micro-winery.
JB Neufeld- Old Goat. Men vs. Boys in the category of Cab/Cab blends. Not even fair really, and yes this is a homer choice of our favorite winery and favorite wine people. They are real people btw. We had eaten breakfast with them on Sunday, and Justin bought the breakfast, so I guess this was an inner-Yak version of Pay to Play. 100 Points!

Overall, still many more wineries where I would NOT buy, than those that I would. My palate is fortunately fully recovered and by spitting and eating I felt it was really sharp for these 2 days. I also sorta selected wineries pouring a white wine, and if that wine was not a good wine, I moved on. The other thought I had was empathy for the newbies, many "competing" for first time, on this grand stage where many/all of movers and shakers in the commercial, restaurant, distributor, media side of the Washington wine industry assemble once a year. In talking with Justin and Brooke, that is more of why they do Taste, the networking, than the after-event sales possibility. Too many un-sophisticated guzzling happening for any bump in club or even store/restaurant sales. Even me, the ultimate geek, only came away w 2-3 new real targets and who knows if I follow up on those hunches.

< Message edited by ChrisinCowiche -- 3/18/2024 1:24:33 PM >

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 11
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 3/18/2024 1:06:22 PM   
jmcmchi

Nice notes, tx

If you like Damsel Marsanne, you should try her neighbour, Callan’s, Picpoul

Interesting on Julian Margot, I don’t know their story

Post #: 12
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 3/18/2024 2:26:07 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

Embassy Suites, Pioneer square. It is billed as "across the street" from Lumen Field, and while that may be technically correct, the Grand Tasting is in the Events Center on South end of Lumen, while the hotel is North of the stadium and across a parking lot. Probably a half mile away. Quite a little hike for me these days, so we'll be Ubering everywhere from a home base (Marriott points) hotel in South Lake Union.

Quoting myself to brag that I did walk the half mile, albeit with a short sit break. There was a Sounders game jus starting anyway so an Uber would have had to go around its elbow. That, plus two days of event walking, would make my therapists proud.

Post #: 13
RE: Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 - 3/20/2024 2:55:44 AM   
Jenise

Chris, of the wineries you mention I've had multiple Grosgrains, Dossiers and Damsel's Marsanne. Of the Grosgrains, only one red, most of what they do seems to focus on whites. Their Albarino is great, but maybe my favorite thing from them has been an early sparkling pet nat Lemberger that I don't think they've repeated, but it was magical. Dossier's initial Sauv Blanc was amazing. I've been told by a friend I shared a bottle with that the new release SB isn't as striking, but they now have a regular and a premium line and the SB that was like what we loved is in the latter category. Damsel's Marsanne I've had twice, and to be honest I wasn't impressed either time. The people who poured it for me aren't familiar with Marsannes from the Rhone, but to me who is they tasted bland.

Anyway, fun notes, enjoyed reading.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Taste Washington 2024, March 16-17 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI