CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd wine in Bdx ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd wine in Bdx ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd wine... - 1/7/2024 10:49:19 AM   
Eduardo787

Ive found great 2nd wines from great chateaus, but I am wondering about the 2nd wines that are not that great . I was looking at tastig notes and scores from many 2nd wines and some of them seem to be a below average effort. Personally I have only had maybe 8-10 2nd wines from Bdx and most of the time they were what I expected for the price I pay. For example Esperance de Trotanoy in about 1/6 th of the price of the grand vin and to be honest it shows. But La Gravette De Certan is amazing. Le Prieure and Delice De Prieure is also another example that I love the grand vin but the second wine for me was a dissapointment.

I have not tried many 2nd wines and I would like to buy some new options. La Dame , Echo de Lynch, Pagodes de Cos, among many others are wines I am interested, but since most wines need a little bit of cellartime I was wondering which ones should I buy? I do not want to pay double the price for a 2010 2nd wine if I have the option of buying a 2019 or 2020 and cellar it, the thing is that I want to buy the ones that are worth buying.

Any special recomendation? Who makes wonderful 2nd wines ?

FYI, I have Duo De Conseillante, La Gravette De Certan, Petit Figeac, and a few more.

I canĀ“t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd ... - 1/7/2024 12:09:46 PM   
jmcmchi

Alter Ego is much more approachable than the Ch Palmer grand vin

< Message edited by jmcmchi -- 1/7/2024 12:10:02 PM >

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd ... - 1/7/2024 5:06:24 PM   
recotte

Recent thread on worthwhile second wines: https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=542944

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 3
RE: Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd ... - 1/13/2024 11:21:09 AM   
davo22

Alter Ego would top my list. Also consistently done well with Clos du Marquis and Segla. Others vary by vintage. I have some Le Petit Mouton in the cellar but it's still too young to crack open, so can't comment on it.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Who makes a wonderful grand vin but a mediocre 2nd wine in Bdx ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI