CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Do you get temporarily bored with wine?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you get temporarily bored with wine? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 8:48:18 PM   
peeks13

Because I drink wine so often sometimes I get into a rut or I just don't get overly enthused about cracking a bottle at night. We've probably all been there and certainly you could substitute a different activity for "drinking wine".

What do you do to get out of your rut or reinvigorate your enthusiasm?

Drink more beer or spirits?
Take some time off from drinking?
Watch a wine-related movie or read similar type book?

Ironically, a wine tasting or event always gets me re-energized. Maybe the cure for wine boredom is drinking more wine.

What do you do that gets you excited all over again?
Post #: 1
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 9:05:27 PM   
atkinson_b2

Try a 6 month trip to somewhere they don't have any alcohol at all...you'll never look a gift horse in the mouth again

I really can't think of a time when I've ever been bored with wine though...I've had my palate completely fried and my tongue raw after crazy weekends of tasting, and I don't want to drink any wine for a few days after that, but that's not the same as being bored!

WineBerg - CT
WB: Berg Atkinson

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 9:07:53 PM   
ccotton8

I take a break from it, probably a couple weeks. I end my slump with a nice lunch or dinner. I've learned that if I add water to the rotation helps with creating a balance.

Yay boo yay boo, some say yay and some say boo.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 9:20:55 PM   
peeks13

quote:

ORIGINAL: atkinson_b2

Try a 6 month trip to somewhere they don't have any alcohol at all...you'll never look a gift horse in the mouth again

I really can't think of a time when I've ever been bored with wine though...I've had my palate completely fried and my tongue raw after crazy weekends of tasting, and I don't want to drink any wine for a few days after that, but that's not the same as being bored!

Maybe that's a better characterization...burnt out rather than a long-term bored situation. True boredom is nothing that a Sassicaia couldn't remedy.

(in reply to atkinson_b2)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 10:07:58 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

Did you live in KSA?

Post #: 5
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 10:26:07 PM   
kidsmurf2000

I only get bored of drinking daily drinkers... a visit to the "proper" cellar usually fixes that...

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 6
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/18/2014 11:23:48 PM   
puppetclause

quote:

ORIGINAL: kidsmurf2000

I only get bored of drinking daily drinkers... a visit to the "proper" cellar usually fixes that...

+1, except most of my cellar is too young. Between drinking plonk or killing babies, I usually just reach for spirits.

(in reply to kidsmurf2000)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 1:23:34 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: puppetclause

quote:

+1, except most of my cellar is too young. Between drinking plonk or killing babies, I usually just reach for spirits.

I'm finding this a problem as well. I didn't grow up in a wine drinking family that had a cellar of old vintages for enjoying now. So I'm having to build the family collection myself. I have a few "older" wines but nothing sustainable for regular consumption. So I find myself drinking a lot of Belgian beer and Bourbon.

(in reply to puppetclause)
Post #: 8
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 1:46:01 AM   
atkinson_b2

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

quote:

Did you live in KSA?

In Afghanistan until July...I'm dying for a glass of great wine

WineBerg - CT

Post #: 9
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 5:29:27 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

Because I drink wine so often sometimes I get into a rut or I just don't get overly enthused about cracking a bottle at night.

I do not know of what you speak

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 10
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 6:14:25 AM   
khmark7

Do I get into a rut or get burnt out on wine? Yes, a little, especially with the mailing lists and purchasing part.

What helps? Having a large diversity of wines to drink, including young & old.

I think a little time away always helps. I appreciate different foods at different times of the year, and this helps with a cyclical rotation, much like the weather around here that goes from hot to freezing throughout the year. Change can be a good thing if it helps you appreciate what you enjoy.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 11
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 6:50:10 AM   
KPB

Give your liver a rest; maybe it is trying to send you a message.... Just stop drinking wine for six weeks and you'll probably lose some weight, feel more interested in wine, and the issue will resolve itself.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 12
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 7:25:50 AM   
caeleric

i definitely get in a rut, where i open expensive (to me, anyway) bottles and am woefully underwhelmed. then i get frustrated and feel like the whole thing is a waste of time, money and calories. i'll switch to other spirits, or just take a break from it for awhile. then i'll get an itch to open something good, and if it delivers, i'm back baby!

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 13
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 7:30:21 AM   
drycab

I refuse to respond topically to this thread as I will piss off a lot of people if I do, but I had to say something!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 14
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 8:40:54 AM   
petitblanc

The only risk of getting bored is if I lose sight of what I believe wine is meant to be: an accompaniment to food. And since I never get bored with eating, there is always a place for wine.

For those who get caught up in collecting, yes I could see that growing tiresome.

Tom

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 15
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 9:15:52 AM   
atkinson_b2

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

I refuse to respond topically to this thread as I will piss off a lot of people if I do, but I had to say something!

I'll help you drink through your cellar anytime you're bored with it

WineBerg - CT

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 16
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 9:29:46 AM   
swade

Yes.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Post #: 17
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 11:47:27 AM   
dsGris

When I drink too much I gain weight. For health and too keep the skinny old man image, I drink more coffee.
I get bored with heavy fruity wines and search out light retrained AFWE watery low cal swill.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to swade)
Post #: 18
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 1:15:57 PM   
cigar52

quote:

If I am getting tired of my daily wines this also fixes my palate for a week or two.

(in reply to kidsmurf2000)
Post #: 19
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 2:01:22 PM   
S1

no

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 20
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 2:31:53 PM   
StefanAkiko

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

no

Agree wholeheartedly with S1 even if our palates strongly disagree from time to time.

But, I must say, that I can't read this thread without thinking about the non-logical, non-reason plans that the IOGT movement are trying to make real in Verboten Sweden. IOGT is a politically strong movement for absolutism (claiming their right of existence from history and an ignorance of actual facts) and they reason (without scientific support) that alcohol is only bad, bad, Devil-worship and the end of society.

Aargh... Maybe I'm trespassing on Forum rulez?

Sorry. @Vintomas could write much better and with higher specificity...

I love Sweden, but Sweden sux!!!

< Message edited by StefanAkiko -- 2/19/2014 2:33:07 PM >

"One for pleasure, two for too much, three for bed."
Salman Rushdie referencing Tignanello in his book: Fury.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 21
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 2:34:38 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

I would probably have more daily drinkers if storage weren't an issue, but I'm averse to average wines anyway. They all have their place, kind of like music. The more diverse you are the more options you have to suit a given situation. But then focusing in on certain wines or regions has its own advantages.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 22
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 8:50:02 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

I find myself drinking a lot of Belgian beer and Bourbon.

Can't even remember the last wine I had. Nobody I work with is any kind of a real wine drinker, and there are such profoundly good liquors and beers/ales around that it's no problem. Be back in Atlanta this Friday/Saturday, so will once again commune with the wine gods.

Quite often I find myself really loving a beer, and even if it takes 2, 3, or 4 bottles to "equal" a bottle of wine, the beer is very nearly free by comparison with many wines. This has hit home for me with the Belgian beers lately, like never before. Even a premium gin, like $30 - $60 a liter. What the heck....

To generalize, surely the quantity of wine one drinks makes a difference. A glass or two a day, nothing. But put a couple big days together, 2, 3, 4 bottles each day (or whatever qualifies for one's given "big drinking" scenario), and almost all of us are gonna be ready for a break. Especially as the decades mount up.

For pure "boredom," no, I really don't think so - there is such a wide variety of wines available that it doesn't seem possible to me, other than being tired of drinking, itself, per se.

Post #: 23
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 10:18:44 PM   
peeks13

Huge wine tasting event Thursday, Friday and Saturday, probably log 10-12 drinking hours. You are forced to drink out of those ridiculous 1 oz plastic cups but on the bright side, free bread, popcorn and water and all ~75 wines (red/white/rose/dessert/sparklers/port) are open to taste and you pour for yourself. Great way to spend a Friday day, afternoon and night. Drinking excellent Wisconsin beer for 3 days prior to prep, probably akin to the hot dog eaters who gorge on cabbage and water to acclimate.

When it's all over I will be charged up for wine once again. It should last about 3 months before I need another hit.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 24
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 10:22:54 PM   
ckinv368

quote:

no

Me neither. Although if I tire of a particular type of wine, I do try to find something completely different to try.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 25
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/19/2014 10:24:34 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did you live in KSA?

In Afghanistan until July...I'm dying for a glass of great wine

Ughhhh...I know exactly how you feel.

Post #: 26
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/20/2014 8:20:25 PM   
Old Doug

So... It's been a while without wine, and tonight I love msieurledocq's sense of discovery with the 2011 Cédric Parpette Côte-Rôtie Le Montmain. Ah, those Northern Rhones....

There is being bored, and there is "not being bored," but the latter, worst case, is a low-grade fever, not the full-throttle 'wine moment' fugue which may grip us on occasion, and which lends promise and possibility to the future.

Post #: 27
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/20/2014 8:33:45 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckinv368

quote:

no

Me neither. Although if I tire of a particular type of wine, I do try to find something completely different to try.

+1 on both comments.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 28
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/21/2014 3:56:31 AM   
BornToRhone

No for me, too. There are just so many varietals out there from so many locations....if you get a bit tired of Napa cab, switch to Alsace Gewurtzraminer, then to. Brunellos, then to Condrieu, then to Rioja, then to Cali Chard......i could go on and on....

Snce I started drinking more wine, i found my beer consumption has dropped quite a bit, though.

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 29
RE: Do you get temporarily bored with wine? - 2/21/2014 5:56:59 AM   
SteveG

I am with petitblanc above, almost all of my wine drinking is accompanying food, and there are vanishingly few foods on my menu which are not enhanced by wine.

The only time I am bored by wine is when I am out of town and we hit a string of restaurants with boring wine lists, but this is really boredom due to Lack of (my own selection of) wine, really more of an affirmation of the pleasures of good wine.

I do have some wines in my closet which I rashly purchased and now find boring, I will pull one of these every week or so just to see if maybe it will have improved or perhaps will just hit the spot. Even though I end up cooking with most such selections, guilt over the money poorly spent is generally offset by having "improved" my cellar by removing the reminder of my foolishness.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Do you get temporarily bored with wine? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI