CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wines that look better, but are worse

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wines that look better, but are worse Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wines that look better, but are worse - 2/26/2024 9:19:42 AM   
Echinosum

My local up-market supermarket has a habit of replacing a wine I like with another wine from the same producer, with a different designation. The new designation makes it sound better, but when you try it, it is actually worse.

For example WellKnownAusProducer Varietal was replaced by WellKnownAusProducer Organic Varietal. Oh great, you think, those must be more carefully grown grapes. But no, it is actually worse. It turns out it is any old grapes that benefit from the Organic designation. When you find the original plain label in another retailer, it is actually more expensive.

Recently WellKnownFrenchProducer Varietal was replaced with WellKnownFrenchProducer Varietal Vendange Nocturne. Oh great, they are keeping the grapes cool, in those southern French vineyards, by picking them at night. But it is worse. So probably they are just setting out what they do anyway, and by explicitly putting it on the label, it is an excuse to sell us an inferior cuvée.

And recently WellKnownTuscanProducer Chianti Classico was replaced with WellKnownTuscanProducer SpecialBrandName Chianti Classico, which again is a step down in quality in comparison with their well known and internationally marketed plain Chianti Classico.

In these cases, I was a regular customer for the original. But when the replacement came along, I buy a bottle, instantly spot the step down, and stop buying it.

Does anyone else suffer from this phenomenon in their local market?

Are the generality of customers for these wines sufficiently lacking in discrimination that they don't notice?

My guess is that what is happening is that the producer or its wholesaler tells the supermarket the price for the follow-on vintage, and with inflation the supermarket goes, that's going to push it above the price point at which they want to sell it. So the producer goes, tell you what, I'll do you a special label, and I can give you that a bit cheaper.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.
Post #: 1
RE: Wines that look better, but are worse - 2/26/2024 10:06:29 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

My guess is that what is happening is that the producer or its wholesaler tells the supermarket the price for the follow-on vintage, and with inflation the supermarket goes, that's going to push it above the price point at which they want to sell it. So the producer goes, tell you what, I'll do you a special label, and I can give you that a bit cheaper.

I am aware of some of this happening in the PacNW. Big grocers want exclusivity with "their" label, some like Costco, even HAVE their exclusive label. When it come to quality, I think it is more hit-or-miss and random from what you describe. Meaning the "new and improved" label is not always a step down.

The key for me is to recognize it is NOT the same wine, but to one of your other points the general wine buying public is unlikely to be that precise when label shopping. I've been buying a lot of de Negoce, a negociant mainly in California, and I have a hard time explaining that concept to people. "yes, these labels all look identical, but no, these are NOT the same winery/vineyard/winemaker."

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 2
RE: Wines that look better, but are worse - 2/26/2024 10:56:19 AM   
khmark7

I know an original Panafonics and Sorny when I see one.

When i read the original post the first thing I thought of was Maison Ilan.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Wines that look better, but are worse - 2/26/2024 11:50:32 AM   
dad300

this is a fight against increasing prices at the wholesale and distributor end for the retailer. the retail shops are trying to keep a certain Price point in the store.. They don't care what the item is.. I.e we need 60% of our skus to be in the $15-$20 range.. item A had a price increase and gets too high for the mix. find a replacement. if its the same "brand" even better. fighting this battle at the shop I'm buying for. We have a 3 for $25 rack. it should be 3 for $30.. quality is starting to suffer.. but.. the owner wants this price point.. to the detriment of the wine buyer..imho. quality is not the driving factor.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wines that look better, but are worse Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI