CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 8:48:40 AM   
YoDaddyO

Today is the day!!

You can watch through a webcam at this link Crushpad WeCam

I forgot to mention...11am PST

My first bottling...can i be anymore jazzed?

Here is the Cellartracker link to this wine...only 25 cases produced. (The cab is sourced from To Kalon)

2007 Castleman Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Napa Valley

The blend is 82% Cab, 10% Petit Verdot, 6% Malbec and 2% 2008 Cab.

2 more additional Cabs to bottle later this summer

< Message edited by YoDaddyO -- 1/7/2010 8:51:41 AM >

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
Post #: 1
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 8:51:46 AM   
mj

Awesome YoDaddyO!  Congrats!  Would love to watch, but the lovely Air Force server has the link blocked of course.  =( 

Is the bottling date listed on CT an error?  Or did you decided to leave it in the barrel for another year?  Jsut curious!  Regardless, very damn exciting and I have wine envy right now!  Congrats!

-mJ

BLOG: http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/njfoodies
TWITTER: njfoodies

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 2
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 8:56:55 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: mj

Awesome YoDaddyO!  Congrats!  Would love to watch, but the lovely Air Force server has the link blocked of course.  =( 

Is the bottling date listed on CT an error?  Or did you decided to leave it in the barrel for another year?  Jsut curious!  Regardless, very damn exciting and I have wine envy right now!  Congrats!

-mJ

Grapes were harvested in 2007...we've had the wine barrelled for 27 months and blended for the last month. the twist is that we added a dash of 2008 To Kalon (same block)

my bottling this summer will be 2008 vintage only...

What do you think of the label? it's my unveiling...

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 3
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 8:57:30 AM   
smigdiggler

Congrats Yo.  

BTW which Winemaker did you work with there?   I am working on a small project with Mike Z and a small group of friends.   If you see him, tell him Dave from Dacalier Wines said hello.

Cheers,
dave

BTW - If your interested, I would love to trade you a 6 pack of your Castleman for a 6 pack of our Assaszin which will be bottled in mid Feb and released this spring.   Ours is a Prisoner type of Zin blend.    Not submitted to CT because label hasnt been finalized.

< Message edited by smigdiggler -- 1/7/2010 9:01:44 AM >

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 4
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:04:10 AM   
RoundersRob

Congrats... How do I get some?

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to smigdiggler)
Post #: 5
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:08:41 AM   
Blue Shorts

Congats! I hope your wine meets and exceeds all of your expectations.

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 6
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:08:58 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: smigdiggler

Congrats Yo.  

BTW which Winemaker did you work with there?   I am working on a small project with Mike Z and a small group of friends.   If you see him, tell him Dave from Dacalier Wines said hello.

Cheers,
dave

BTW - If your interested, I would love to trade you a 6 pack of your Castleman for a 6 pack of our Assaszin which will be bottled in mid Feb and released this spring.   Ours is a Prisoner type of Zin blend.    Not submitted to CT because label hasnt been finalized.

Kian is my man...Mike is I think providing a little help on my 2009 Syrah...

I fell out of my chair when you mentioned a Prisoner stylized wine...I have two more wines i want to make and one of them i've already talked to Kian about which i've called a "funky Prisoner style blend"

Very cool...

Regarding a trade...I'm open...I'll let you know once the dust settles on how much is pre-ordered...i'm bottling a 6 bottle case of Magnum's and keeping 4 additional cases in reserve to cellar...so i have 20 cases left of which about half have been requested (but admittedly since this is my first i'll find out how firm the orders are)...i am planning to let the bottles rest for about 3 or 4 months before shipping.

I've got goosebumps...Not as momentous as our adoption from China but the time it has taken has been longer.

DaddyO

Post #: 7
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:38:58 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

I won't have my website up for a couple of months so right now i'm taking verbal requests...I haven't established a price yet so i just have my list of those that have requested and will let them know price soon and then they can decide whether they want to stay on the list...

I'm inclined to have a minimum order eventually (like 3 bottles)...but not yet...

This is admittedly a freshman effort in the truest meaning as i haven't been part of any prior wine production effort...it's just me with no partners.

My winemaker consultant (Kian Tavakoli) started at Opus and handled reds at Clos du Val through 2004 when he joined crushpad. When he and i first met and i described my likes, dislikes and what i hoped to accomplish...we pretty much came to the conclusion that i had a palate that favored bordeaux style blends (hence my urgent need for some hangtime with the London CT crowd so i can see if this is really true).

Somewhat generically i'd describe this as a Napa framed - Left Bank style wine.

I sat down with Kian and we discussed other wines that might give someone a reference point of other CA wines if someone asked "what do we think it will be similar to?"

this is isn't a hard and fast list or meant to be exact but just kind of a guide:

2009 Premier Coast Syrah (Comparable to Ojai in terms of quality)
2008 Rafael (Comparable to Caymus Napa, Behrens & Hitchock (but much more balanced in terms of alcohol))
2007 Tokalon (Comparable to Mondavi Oakville, Silver Oak Napa (without the aggressive nature of American Oak)
2008 Coombsville (Comparable to Buccella, Caldwell, Gemstone)

Of course...everyone's baby is always beautiful...

DaddyO

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 8
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:50:25 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: YoDaddyO

Today is the day!!

You can watch through a webcam at this link Crushpad WeCam

I forgot to mention...11am PST

My first bottling...can i be anymore jazzed?

Here is the Cellartracker link to this wine...only 25 cases produced. (The cab is sourced from To Kalon)

2007 Castleman Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Napa Valley

The blend is 82% Cab, 10% Petit Verdot, 6% Malbec and 2% 2008 Cab.

2 more additional Cabs to bottle later this summer

Congrats Mike.  Now don't forget me when they arrive.

Billy T (TWG)

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 9
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:52:24 AM   
jhannah27

quote:

I love it. Simple, elegant, and the knight's armor is a nice touch. What does the text say under the armor?

Put me on a list for some depending on price point.

Congrats!!

< Message edited by jhannah27 -- 1/7/2010 9:54:08 AM >

-- Jeremy

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 10
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:52:48 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

Congrats Yo.  

Cheers,
dave

Dave, no chance of getting some for the SF - Offline eh?

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Post #: 11
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 10:03:57 AM   
RoundersRob

quote:

quote:

I won't have my website up for a couple of months so right now i'm taking verbal requests...I haven't established a price yet so i just have my list of those that have requested and will let them know price soon and then they can decide whether they want to stay on the list...

I'm inclined to have a minimum order eventually (like 3 bottles)...but not yet...

This is admittedly a freshman effort in the truest meaning as i haven't been part of any prior wine production effort...it's just me with no partners.

My winemaker consultant (Kian Tavakoli) started at Opus and handled reds at Clos du Val through 2004 when he joined crushpad. When he and i first met and i described my likes, dislikes and what i hoped to accomplish...we pretty much came to the conclusion that i had a palate that favored bordeaux style blends (hence my urgent need for some hangtime with the London CT crowd so i can see if this is really true).

Somewhat generically i'd describe this as a Napa framed - Left Bank style wine.

I sat down with Kian and we discussed other wines that might give someone a reference point of other CA wines if someone asked "what do we think it will be similar to?"

this is isn't a hard and fast list or meant to be exact but just kind of a guide:

2009 Premier Coast Syrah (Comparable to Ojai in terms of quality)
2008 Rafael (Comparable to Caymus Napa, Behrens & Hitchock (but much more balanced in terms of alcohol))
2007 Tokalon (Comparable to Mondavi Oakville, Silver Oak Napa (without the aggressive nature of American Oak)
2008 Coombsville (Comparable to Buccella, Caldwell, Gemstone)

Of course...everyone's baby is always beautiful...

Sounds great. Let me know when you have a price..

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 12
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 10:04:50 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

quote:

I love it. Simple, elegant, and the knight's armor is a nice touch. What does the text say under the armor?

Congrats!!

Thanks! This is the actual image of our family crest which isn't the same as the coat of arms...

The Knight is holding a dagger/sword and a Key and is both the keeper and defender of the castle...

the text below says..."without God castles are nothing"

turn 21 in my family and you get a signet ring that stamps that in wax

Here is what the text on the back label says..."Concepts such as “Tradition” and “Legacy” are both noble pursuits. At Castleman Cellars, the Knight on our family crest is both the “keeper” and “defender” of the castle. Our family crest symbolizes our hope for the tradition and legacy that we are creating with our wines. Join us in expanding our tradition and legacy with memorable wines that are a necessity in every cellar."

DaddyO

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 13
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 10:31:05 AM   
TexasWineGeek

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

quote:

Congrats!!

Thanks! This is the actual image of our family crest which isn't the same as the coat of arms...

The Knight is holding a dagger/sword and a Key and is both the keeper and defender of the castle...

the text below says..."without God castles are nothing"

turn 21 in my family and you get a signet ring that stamps that in wax

Here is what the text on the back label says..."Concepts such as “Tradition” and “Legacy” are both noble pursuits. At Castleman Cellars, the Knight on our family crest is both the “keeper” and “defender” of the castle. Our family crest symbolizes our hope for the tradition and legacy that we are creating with our wines. Join us in expanding our tradition and legacy with memorable wines that are a necessity in every cellar."

Yo,

Great touch.  Very nice you can incorporate family tradition into your wine making.  Can't wait to try it.  I just bought several bottles of Bucella Mica and if your wine is anything at all like theirs you will have a definite winner.

Are you available this weekend to go to Asti?  Thinking of coming up with my girlfriend since we couldn't make it last weekend. 

TWG

TWG

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 14
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 10:59:43 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexasWineGeek

Yo,

Great touch.  Very nice you can incorporate family tradition into your wine making.  Can't wait to try it.  I just bought several bottles of Bucella Mica and if your wine is anything at all like theirs you will have a definite winner.

Are you available this weekend to go to Asti?  Thinking of coming up with my girlfriend since we couldn't make it last weekend. 

TWG

Maybe...i'm actually going to be in San Antonio all morning at my daughter's volleyball tourney.

DaddyO

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 15
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 11:00:45 AM   
YoDaddyO

Am i being to geeky?

Bottling line starts up in 4 min...whoop!

DaddyO

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 16
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 11:16:46 AM   
YoDaddyO

Just watched bottle #1 come off the line...awesome!

first case will always be Magnum capped with red wax and first bottle will get a special spot in the cellar for way down the road

< Message edited by YoDaddyO -- 1/7/2010 11:21:50 AM >

DaddyO

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 17
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 11:28:13 AM   
jhannah27

I am on there now. Very cool.

There must be a way to retrieve that video.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 18
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 11:57:43 AM   
RoundersRob

Certainly fun to watch the bottling process and catch the 'dent'.... :)

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 19
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 12:01:02 PM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

Rob hit the lottery...watching the cam...he caught a bottle that missed a back label that had been cased already...

Hilarious watching them go back and look...

DaddyO

Post #: 20
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 12:02:23 PM   
YoDaddyO

Thanks to everyone that showed up for the webcam viewing of the bottling...I love CT and it's fun hanging online from all over the country

DaddyO

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 21
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 12:05:11 PM   
RoundersRob

quote:

quote:

Rob hit the lottery...watching the cam...he caught a bottle that missed a back label that had been cased already...

Hilarious watching them go back and look...

Yeah that was pretty cool. Can't wait to try it out!!

Rob MacKay on CT

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 22
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 12:09:24 PM   
RoundersRob

so when I enter this one bottle into CT I guess the source should be "crushpad webcam" ? :)

Rob MacKay on CT

Post #: 23
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 12:19:55 PM   
caeleric

Yo,

Keep living the dream! I hope the entire experience has been and will continue to be more rewarding than you could have ever dreamed! If you're still taking orders, PM me with your price point. Love the grassroots stuff! :)

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

Post #: 24
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 12:30:33 PM   
mj

Post some pics!  -mJ

BLOG: http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/njfoodies
TWITTER: njfoodies

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 25
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 4:01:26 PM   
smigdiggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexasWineGeek

quote:

Congrats Yo.  

Cheers,
dave

Dave, no chance of getting some for the SF - Offline eh?

No Assasszin, but I can bring a few bottles of our stuff to pass around and have you lie to me and tell me how good it is.  

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 26
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 4:36:59 PM   
rbazinet

Congrats!
Are the bottles going to make it up North?

Post #: 27
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 7:49:17 PM   
MindMuse

Congrats!
Looking like this may end up being the best news out of Texas today.

< Message edited by MindMuse -- 1/7/2010 7:50:02 PM >

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 28
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 7:56:52 PM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

Congrats!

Doh! Greg Davis is an idiot...

DaddyO

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 29
RE: Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! - 1/7/2010 9:47:42 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

Congrats!

Doh! Greg Davis is an idiot...

I won't address Davis, but many of us Dawgs would love to have Will Muschamp come home to be our defensive coordinator next year.

A few weeks ago, if I had a vote, I would have picked Mark Ingram for the Heisman. But clearly after tonight it is clear how completely essential Colt McCoy was to Texas being something vastly more than a Nebraska (i.e., great defense, no offense).

DS (a Bulldog first, a 'Horn next)

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Momentous Day - Bottling Time!!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI