CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Year End Reckoning

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Year End Reckoning Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 10:09:27 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Who's been good and stayed on budget? Who has bought more bottles than their spouse needs to know about? Who has added a new wing to their home to accommodate all their treasures?

As you can clearly see, I've been a good boy since about 2015 when my buying slowed down, and eventually started matching our consumption levels. I made this chart in excel a few years ago by tracking my monthly wines consumed (subtracted) and wines acquired in the CT cellar record (added), then back calculating from my current inventory. Fun exercise to track your inventory over time. In my case, my current inventory of ~850 bottles matches my available cellar capacity pretty closely. Also demonstrated the influence from when I joined CT in late 2009.

Ignore that fact that this does not include the vineyard we planted in 2015, nor the 7 or 8 barrels of wine we have harvested in past two years.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173
Post #: 1
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 10:26:31 AM   
CranBurgundy

In relation to last year, my spending was WAY down. Very little Riesling bought this year versus 10+ cases last year, but that's just because the 2015 release was during 2016 and we wanted to load up on that monster vintage. Domestic Cab spending was down a little also, but not because 2014 was a lesser of a vintage than 2013, but because I dropped a few mailing list purchases. 2017 Burgundy purchases were about the same as 2016 expenditures - a little less new release (2015 compared to 2014), but some backfilling on 2007 because of great deals. The only variety where the outlay grew was for Port due to a nice find on 1986 Graham's Malvedos ($41 per 750ml bottle!) and some decent buys on LBV Port (2003 Warre's for instance). Overall, we literally spent thousands less in 2017 than in recent years.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 10:45:04 AM   
wineismylife

I've said it before and I'll say it again...what's a budget?

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 11:22:08 AM   
DoubleD1969

I never buy enough wine each year.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 4
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 11:43:10 AM   
bretrooks

Hmm, now that I'm done purchasing for reals, it looks like we have new records set this year in number of bottles purchased (by ~2%) and in dollars spent (by ~8%). Versus our 2010-6 average, I'm up 12% and 23% respectively.

On the scale of our budget, though, it doesn't take much of an actual delta to have percentages appear alarming. This year, we joined the club for a local winery which is run by friends and also bought a few more bottles for the future than I've done in previous years; those two things account for pretty much all of the increase.

Consumption is also headed for a new record. Looks like that's partially attributable to us, but mostly due to a busy social year - more-frequent-than-previous hosting of family, dinner parties, bible study get-togethers, etc.

Not too surprising, really...and all with the blessing of my wife, for the record

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 11:54:06 AM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

Hmm, now that I'm done purchasing for reals, it looks like we have new records set this year in number of bottles purchased (by ~2%) and in dollars spent (by ~8%). Versus our 2010-6 average, I'm up 12% and 23% respectively.

On the scale of our budget, though, it doesn't take much of an actual delta to have percentages appear alarming. This year, we joined the club for a local winery which is run by friends and also bought a few more bottles for the future than I've done in previous years; those two things account for pretty much all of the increase.

Consumption is also headed for a new record. Looks like that's partially attributable to us, but mostly due to a busy social year - more-frequent-than-previous hosting of family, dinner parties, bible study get-togethers, etc.

Not too surprising, really...and all with the blessing of my wife, for the record

I'm not going to the right church

Purchased 236 so far this year... my lowest annual total since 2006. I might even visit the Moratorium in 2018

< Message edited by fingers -- 12/5/2017 11:59:15 AM >

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 6
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 5:08:56 PM   
mtpisgah

I purchased 40 fewer bottles this year, but spent $700 more. Not sure if that is good or not. Next year I will reduce my quantity and total cost, but hopefully increase the quality.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 7
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 6:47:30 PM   
Wine_Strategies

A budget, for most, is at the center of everything; I respect and get that.

That said, I, thankfully, don't use one anymore - I just buy what I want, and what I want is (always) within reason, because I know what I like, and I know what I can afford.

That may be vague for some, but I think I know what I like, and what I'm willing to pay for what I like.

So, as far as year-end reckonings go, I have no idea if I've been bad or good ( a first, but my friend Brad is gone, so I take it to heart, finally, and so I know I've got what I like, and it's in my cellar, or about to be).

Tonight I'm drinking a second wine from Montalcino, a Rosso dell-Abate, from 1999, and I'm very, very happy. (was about 8 Euro on release - positively killing it with mushrooms, pomodori, mascarpone, salsaccia, and onions tonight). If Sangiovese gets Burgundian, it's happening here, right now. One doesn't always need to spend a lot on the wine they want, but when they see the wine they want, they MUST have enough in reserves to buy EXACTLY what they want.

< Message edited by Wine_Strategies -- 12/5/2017 6:55:54 PM >

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 8
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 6:49:55 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I purchased 40 fewer bottles this year, but spent $700 more. Not sure if that is good or not.

If it's due to price increases for new releases, that's not good.

If it's due to buying better quality bottles, when are you hosting an off-line?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 9
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 7:24:26 PM   
BornToRhone

I bought about 100 fewer bottles this year but our consumption also went down below the purchases so I am yet screwed for wine storage. Looks like another winter with bottles in the garage and living room!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

Post #: 10
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 7:39:45 PM   
Wine_Strategies

Oh, shyte, had to check the reports (based on the replies of these other, sober, tossers) - after everyone else being so precise - and not so happy I did.

The reports say that I bought about 50% more than last year, and each bottle is 50% more than last year's average. Oh, well, looking forward to sharing even more

< Message edited by Wine_Strategies -- 12/5/2017 7:40:31 PM >

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 11
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 8:00:12 PM   
Barolo Boy

What are the units on that graph? Dollars/year? Bottles/year?

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 12
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 8:02:48 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barolo Boy

What are the units on that graph? Dollars/year? Bottles/year?

Bottles of wine in my cellar in any given month. Started at around 410 when I joined CT, peaked around 1275, now back at about 850.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 12/5/2017 8:07:52 PM >

(in reply to Barolo Boy)
Post #: 13
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 8:07:23 PM   
oskiwawa

not quite as big a change as you had but in the same direction. Purchases up 40%. Average cost up 20%. Not surprising. Intentionally increase the Champagne and Italian bottles in the cellar. Looking forward to the next offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

Oh, shyte, had to check the reports (based on the replies of these other, sober, tossers) - after everyone else being so precise - and not so happy I did.

The reports say that I bought about 50% more than last year, and each bottle is 50% more than last year's average. Oh, well, looking forward to sharing even more

Post #: 14
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/5/2017 9:45:03 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

Excellent...duly noted

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

Post #: 15
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 3:40:51 AM   
racerchris

My cellar is young so its growing at a rapid pace.
After three years of buying I'm bumping the 500 bottle mark.
This year the per bottle dollar amount went up $5. Even though I bought fewer bottles, total spending was up about 20%.

On the consumption side, the per bottle price went up a dollar and a half.
A few less bottles were opened, for a similar total wine drinking cost as last year.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 16
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 3:43:06 AM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

I buy what I want.
I buy what HRH wants.
Kyser is happy.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 17
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 3:44:59 AM   
mtpisgah

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I purchased 40 fewer bottles this year, but spent $700 more. Not sure if that is good or not.

If it's due to price increases for new releases, that's not good.

If it's due to buying better quality bottles, when are you hosting an off-line?

It is due to buying better quality wine, like an extra three pack of a certain cab and fewer daily drinkers. Though reading Tim's comment about his enjoyment of an 18 year old Rosso, I may need to rethink that strategy. I know wine does not have to be expensive to be good, but you do not usually fiend that tasty of wine that has what it takes to age that long at that price.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

Post #: 18
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 3:55:33 AM   
pclin

As one wise man said: “more than what I need, less than what I want”.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 19
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 8:03:36 AM   
wineismylife

I basically replace at this point in my life. If I drink a dozen Italians in September I go looking for a dozen Italian replacements in October. That kind of thing. My cellar is in various stages of maturity so I always have something coming due to drink and replace it with an in kind age-able replacement bottle.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 20
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 8:14:04 AM   
dhp.

2011-2012 was a good year, eh?

Post #: 21
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 9:24:11 AM   
RockinCabs

Big goal was to cut spending this year, and I succeeded there by trimming 35%. Bottle price down 27% this year also. My time in the moratorium did not hurt. Consumption and purchases raised the inventory by 112 to +/- 850, however wine on-site is roughly unchanged.

Inventory is being done this week, so I expect to uncover a few surprises but nothing that is going to dramatically move the needle.

Cellar capacity is not a problem (yet). Lots of my buying this year was 2016 Bordeaux futures, so I have 2-years to figure out where everything goes. Cellar re-org is underway, and I have improved my bulk storage to give myself max capacity around 900.

Goals for 2018 - Buy less volume, lower budget again (15-20%). Back fill Napa Cabs and a few Burgs that are ready to drink. Hit list in Bordeaux continues to grow, and I can make a bigger dent as I don't plan to participate in 2017 futures.

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 22
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 9:43:02 AM   
Anthonyiez

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Luv ya buddy!!!

Post #: 23
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 9:46:55 AM   
dsGris

150 less than last year @ less than one/day avg. That's progress.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Anthonyiez)
Post #: 24
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 10:56:02 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhp.

2011-2012 was a good year, eh?

It depends. I filled my new cellar quickly, and regretted some of the purchases.

Over last three years, I've been in more of a replacement mode, $/bottle price has jumped 50% from the "hay days" of 11/12.

Since about 2015 I try not to buy any daily drinkers, unless it's a specific wine I know I like, and/or am not growing myself. I'm needing to do a detailed search and destroy/guzzle/donate a number of cellar space hogs that I likely will never drink. Maybe when I do my New Years audit.

My goal for 2018 purchases will be to add a bit more geographical diversity to my overwhelmingly Washington cellar. Italy (Tuscany mostly), Oregon, and California being main targets. Oh and hoping to build a stand alone winery in 2018.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 12/6/2017 5:46:07 PM >

(in reply to dhp.)
Post #: 25
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 11:28:17 AM   
klaus3974

Good time of the year to take stock. Basically I bought and spent half than in 2016, yet double of what I planned and drink in a year so cellar is becoming too large for my comfort despite having a huge basement.
For next year the plan is to buy half or less of what I bought in 2017 and mostly wine to age. We have enough daily drinkers so target will be wine to keep 15+ years. Of course, there is always hard for us to stay on target.

< Message edited by klaus3974 -- 12/6/2017 9:30:51 PM >

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 26
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 12:04:52 PM   
lockestep

My purchases are going to finish at an all time high for both value and quantity, while my consumption is right in line with both 2015 and 2016. And yes, the idea back in January was to avoid this result.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to klaus3974)
Post #: 27
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 1:54:30 PM   
skifree

Is it January already?

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 28
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 4:17:48 PM   
mclancy10006

Well since I sort of missed a huge purchase until today I am not saying where it will be with certainty. I suspect I will be 20% below on spending compared to 2016, but a lot can happen in 25 days. Bottle count is about the same.

-Mark

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 29
RE: Year End Reckoning - 12/6/2017 6:09:05 PM   
mc2 wines

Tracking a bit lower than 2016. Busier this year which means less time for wine buying. Then again, there's one upcoming auction where the standard lowball bids are in and if these go then it ends up a decidedly uncheap year.

Consumption went back to more normal levels (~320). Last year somehow we got close to 400 which is impressive given that half of us isn't in NYC most of the time.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Year End Reckoning Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI