CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

So what about mailing lists (not clubs)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> So what about mailing lists (not clubs) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 6:04:48 PM   
S1

Why buy from a mailing list (if you buy from mailing lists)

1. I can't afford them aftermarket (or am unwilling to pay the markup)
MACDONALD--(2013 on WineSearcher is nearly 5x release price)
Schrader (duh)
Scarecrow (ditto)
No Girls
Lewelling
Becklyn (still slightly under the radar)

2. I have a personal connection to these people and want to send THEM my money, rather than sending my money to the "middle tier."
Drinkward-Peschon
Continuum
Hayfork
Vincent

3. I have access to wines which are difficult to source otherwise (plus I get a little price or shipping break)
Cristom
Copain
Arnot-Roberts
Rhys

Then I have dropped...
VHR (although I'm maybe re-thinking)
Araujo (ditto)
Saxum
Abreu
Levy & Mc
Bond
Rudd
Liquid Farm
Roy
Pisoni/Roar
Beau Vigne
Horsepower
Sea Smoke

Any other rationalizers/enablers out there?

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)
Post #: 1
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 6:27:15 PM   
DoubleD1969

I live in a state where consumers are subject to government monopolies.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 7:48:17 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Any other rationalizers/enablers out there?

Did somebody call me?

If I were Alan Eden, I'd mention the "Cool Kids" factor for some of these mailing lists.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 8:04:28 PM   
WineGuyCO

There is zero risk to being on a mailing list. There is only upside because you don't have to buy anything or you can buy lots of great wine most will never see. As you mentioned the 2ndary market is way higher.

Do I dare mention Outpost? Still available at Winery selling in 2dary market for almost 2x. No brainer. Unless you passed on the 100 point True Vineyard 2014 like somebody I know that was $125 to mailing list and now $350-$400 after market.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 10/5/2017 8:09:48 PM >

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 4
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 8:06:50 PM   
Scott W

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyDelMar

There is zero risk to being on a mailing list. There is only upside because you don't have to buy anything or you can buy lots of great wine most will never see. As you mentioned the 2ndary market is way higher.

Rick

Well unless they kick you off because you don't buy anything.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 8:30:52 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott W

quote:

Rick

Well unless they kick you off because you don't buy anything.

If you don't buy anything you should be kicked off right? After all, they are running a business.

Rick

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 6
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 8:46:42 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Unless you passed on the 100 point True Vineyard 2014 like somebody I know that was $125 to mailing list and now $350-$400 after market.

Stop reminding me.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 7
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/5/2017 8:58:33 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Unless you passed on the 100 point True Vineyard 2014 like somebody I know that was $125 to mailing list and now $350-$400 after market.

Stop reminding me.

I never mentioned any names I'm wondering if I should buy more of the 2014 Estate Howell Mountain? I only bought 6 bottles but maybe I should buy 6 more. The 2015 is coining out in January and don't know a thing about the vintage. How will 2015 be compared to 2014? Plus we risk a price increase.

Rick

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 8
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 6:58:55 AM   
ccotton8

All of my lists except horsepower (category 1 wine) are wines I can't source locally. I would love to consult a distributor in Texas and get a better PNW diversity on the shelves. I don't like shipping costs and I rarely buy enough for it to get waived, i only deal with it because I love the wines.

Yay boo yay boo, some say yay and some say boo.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 9
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 10:18:44 AM   
bretrooks

As of this year, I'm on lists for two wineries (Tercero & Croma Vera) - an all-time high.

I don't buy that much, but I'm signed up with both because the owners/winemakers are people I have some connection with, they make good wines, and I like to support them in some small way. Everything's local enough that I can pick up to avoid shipping and enjoy occasional free tastings, too.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to ccotton8)
Post #: 10
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 10:48:23 AM   
KPB

I seem to have somehow been dropped by Thomas (the famous Oregon PN), or maybe his card goes to the wrong office address here on the Cornell campus. But in fact I am debating reaching out to get re-added mostly because I have a lot of his bottles now (I love the wines and they age really well, but there are limits on how many I actually need in my cellar). So that was a good list, but highlights this issue that once on a list, you do have to keep buying, plus if your office moves, I guess you have to point it out.

I recently joined VHR, after trying and really liking their 2012 Cabernet. I dropped from the Harlan and Bond list because the prices soared and basically, locked me out. Dropped Kapcsandy after realizing that their wines have a characteristic flavor profile that somehow isn't to my taste (something about their choice of yeasts?)

Still on the Sineann list and buying those pretty regularly -- love his Zinfandels and his PN style (the Wy'East one, at least, ages super well, too).

So that's about it for lists, for me. Lots of places have my email and I get announcements from those -- Ovid, Verite, Kistler, a bunch more. Basically, places I've visited and where I bought something. Might buy directly if something interests me.

My view is sort of tortured (and not even by CranBurgundy). On the one hand, I like the idea of buying directly because as people said, the money goes directly to Pegau or whatever. (I buy direct from them when on vacation in that part of France, which is pretty common lately in the summer). But on the other, there are few things you can't find in the open market. Sure, I won't easily find the Macdonald Cabernet but honestly, until I try it, I don't even know if I like their style of Cabernet (probably I would, based on what others say, but who can be sure?) I guess this goes for DRC too. Would I like it? Maybe. Would I want to be on some direct-importer's list? Perhaps not because buying it every year, to stay on that list, would be a very expensive investment.

At the end of the day, I think these lists have a cult character. I bet that most people who are so keen to sign up for Macdonald, or for Hors Catagorie, are as tempted by the exclusivity as by the wine, even if they don't acknowledge this. But it would just be so awesome to be one of the tiny group of insiders who genuinely know how those wines taste and smell. And I get this. I like the idea of dropping names too -- "CB, the other day I thought I might try my 2012 DRCs, just because I have quite a few bottles of those, and was questioning your TN on the La Tache..." Would love to yank that guy's chain.

But then at the same time, this whole exclusivity thing is very fake. Even 2012 DRC La Tache is, and I'm reaching here but am probably not far from right, "just wine". You get a glass bottle. It has a cork. You pour it: yup, red. Smells like... wine.

So in what sense would possessing that wine make me a superior being? Honestly, it wouldn't.

Now many of these lists are like that: Screaming Eagle or whatever is a damn good wine (happen to have had that wine, once). Being a guy who collects such a wine would have a cool cachet. And yet who even cares? None of my friends in Ithaca, that's for sure. It would be a totally meaningless cachet that only would be useful for hassling CranBurgundy on this board. And I've never even met the guy!

So: I'm on some lists. Mostly, wouldn't be super upset to "fall off" those lists, even by accident, even for Thomas PN, which I happen to love and can't possibly find in stores. A great wine! But still, just a bottle of wine...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 11
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 10:51:49 AM   
KPB

PS: S1, I'm insanely jealous of you for being on Macdonald's list... As I said, tortured, and not even by CranBurgundy. Oh, to be on the Macdonald list...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 12
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 10:59:56 AM   
CranBurgundy

You don't need DRC to hassle me. There are lots of other good reasons to bust my stones, the simplest being it's just good old fashion fun.

.... and being on certain mailing lists is also fun. Posting about your freshly purchased allocation from the "in" producer is the wine loon's version of "I got McDah-ah-ah-nold's!!!!" (ala Eddie Murphy in Raw).

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 13
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 12:07:34 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

You don't need DRC to hassle me. There are lots of other good reasons to bust my stones, the simplest being it's just good old fashion fun.

.... and being on certain mailing lists is also fun. Posting about your freshly purchased allocation from the "in" producer is the wine loon's version of "I got McDah-ah-ah-nold's!!!!" (ala Eddie Murphy in Raw).

FIFY

< Message edited by bretrooks -- 10/6/2017 12:15:23 PM >

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 14
RE: So what about mailing lists (not clubs) - 10/6/2017 12:25:06 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

quote:

FIFY

Very nice! I'm stealing that for potential use on Berserkers in the MACDONALD thread.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> So what about mailing lists (not clubs) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI