CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in '18?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in '18? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in '18? - 12/31/2017 6:44:34 AM   
S1

1. More Mediterranean whites, esp Greek.
2. Since HRH and I are spending a week in River Rat country, some new Zins, PNs and maybe a Chard or three.
3. MORE southern Italy and Sicily.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)
Post #: 1
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 12/31/2017 7:30:09 AM   
pclin

Japanese wines, visit to Nagano coming up in ‘18.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 2
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 12/31/2017 7:31:31 AM   
Eddie

More Sicilian whites and Alsace Rieslings, more Loire (I already drink a fair number of Loire wines, but have been so pleased with them that I want to move more in that direction). I'd also like to try Savagnin and some En Rama sherries. Also going to move more toward traditional, classic Rioja producers (both red and white): Lopez de Heredia, etc.

There are many obscure, minerally, edgy wines from the Balkans that I'd love to try, if I could only source them!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 12/31/2017 8:34:55 AM   
Wine_Strategies

sitting here planning my three month trip just now, as I do each day. I have in mind to visit Slovenia and Croatia - SO many things I've tasted from these regions (at trade fairs in Italy, mostly) have been very good, exciting even. Naturally, I'm drawn to the land and the people that grow these wines, so I'll likely budget a week or so given that it's not too far away - when I'll be spending several days in Adige and Friuli regions, probably mid/late April.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 4
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 12/31/2017 10:50:11 AM   
BornToRhone

Very likely we will be visiting Loire, Bordeaux, and Northern Rhone this summer. I enjoy all these wines but my cellar is 80% USA so I definitely need to branch out!

Unfortunately, my budget will be significantly cut this year so my purchases will need to be very particular.

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 12/31/2017 10:51:24 AM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 5
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 12/31/2017 11:05:05 AM   
dsGris

I've been buying and drinking a lot of Loire this year, the QPR of these wines is terrific. I also seem to be buying more Brunello for the higher priced stuff.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 6
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 1/1/2018 11:19:18 AM   
CaliRed

Plan to increase quantities of Central Coast PNs. Already started with stops at Pence and Sanford

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 7
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 1/1/2018 12:02:22 PM   
mtpisgah

Less US wine and more Italian and French. Possibly a few other things thrown in for good measure.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to CaliRed)
Post #: 8
RE: Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in... - 1/1/2018 12:48:11 PM   
dsGris

If I did not live in wine country and lived on the East Coast, Italy and France would be on the list with Tuscany, Piemonte and Loire, Savoie being towards the top.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Planning to explore any new regions or varieties in '18? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI