CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How much would you pay for this meal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How much would you pay for this meal? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 4:53:57 PM   
Chip Merlot

I'd go about $50. Especially since one of the courses is bread. But they want $325.

https://www.zagat.com/b/new-york-city/latelier-de-joel-robuchons-325-tasting-menu-in-photos
Post #: 1
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 5:01:27 PM   
AfleetAlex

The price looks correct, to me.

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 2
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 5:07:51 PM   
mye

I don't think the bread is considered a course, it's 8 courses + amuse/bread/i assume some type of P4s..

$325 is on the expensive side.. but not unreasonable. I'd say $250-$275 is more 'fair'.. although fair is what people is willing to pay. but based on comparable places in NYC (assuming a 2* type places).

Can you find me one other restaurant that would serve you that menu for $50? seriously.. in NYC or NJ.. i'd LOVE to go visit next time i'm there.

(in reply to AfleetAlex)
Post #: 3
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 5:09:14 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

I'd go about $50. Especially since one of the courses is bread. But they want $325.

https://www.zagat.com/b/new-york-city/latelier-de-joel-robuchons-325-tasting-menu-in-photos

I wouldn't pay anything for that. Pretty, overpriced food? No thanks. I'm sure it's great but honestly this is why I love Italian food in Italia. In Napoli at Pizzeria Antica Da Michele I can get a whole pizza with double cheese (doppia mozzarella) and two Nastro Azzurro beers for 8€. Why pay more. Or get two pizzas and two beers for 13€. In general I prefer more simple food.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 1/11/2018 5:13:05 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 5:11:32 PM   
BornToRhone

That is certainly not a $50 menu. It may not make sense to some folks to eat food like that which may not even fill you up for dinner (depends on what you are used to eating), but when you think of all the work and artistry which goes into a meal like that, they need to be compensated. I would go $250 or slightly higher. More if it came with a wine pairing menu.

< Message edited by BornToRhone -- 1/11/2018 5:12:10 PM >

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 5
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 5:20:48 PM   
Chip Merlot

quote:

Can you find me one other restaurant that would serve you that menu for $50? seriously.

In response to this and the other serious responses, I guess my attempt at irony wasn't well-executed ... I was being extreme to make a point. I've been to some very nice tasting dinners and I appreciate both the effort that goes into them and the prices of the ingredients but this menu just seems overboard to me. And I've had it up to here with foam (points to neck). :)

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 6
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 5:43:25 PM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: AfleetAlex

The price looks correct, to me.

Ditto. For one, I counted 35 individual preparations in that one menu, and I wasn't counting leaf garnishes as a prep. Two, New York City. And three, New York City again, where the cost of real estate gets factored into everything.

That aside, whoever complained about foams--I'm totally with you on that. But they do look cool, and where the artistry of appearance is as important as that of flavor as it is at a restaurant of this level, I get the restaurant's intentions.

(in reply to AfleetAlex)
Post #: 7
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 6:35:46 PM   
S1

I paid close to that at Le Bernardin 15 years ago.
Worth every penny.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 8
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 6:38:34 PM   
BornToRhone

We had a dinner like that not very long ago at the French Laundry in Yountville. Great meal, excellent service, won't (can't) do that every day!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 9
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 6:40:01 PM   
oskiwawa

I am in the it looks close camp. Ingrediants and presentation are impressive. Would I spend it, probably not but that said I can understand the price.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 10
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 6:53:48 PM   
KPB

Robuchon is a three star chef! The price is in line... I can’t actually digest meals such as he cooks but you won’t get that quality of dishes and service cheaper...

< Message edited by KPB -- 1/11/2018 6:54:16 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 11
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 7:05:20 PM   
Smaragd

Price more or less correct, but I'm not sure I'd pay it.

I recently went to Cosme, a high end mexican-inspired place not far from there, and paid $40 for a smear of mole sauce on a plate. Wasn't thrilled about it either.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 12
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 7:41:28 PM   
Scott W

Had a meal like that at Providence up here in Los Angeles, yes it was great but more than enough great food for a lot less. I guess it's the experience...well unless you have a money tree!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 13
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 8:08:16 PM   
Wine_Strategies

as little as possible?

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 14
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 8:37:35 PM   
CranBurgundy

If it were made a cook in a restaurant, it would be fifty bucks. Since it's created by a 3 star gourmet chef in his "L'Atelier" it's over three bills.

Moral of the story: use fancy French words so you can rake in more money.

Seriously, I'd have to taste the food to know if it's worth the price. For that kind of coin every course better be orgasmic.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 15
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 9:54:24 PM   
mye

Interesting discussion! :) I’ll add a bit more thoughts.
I think There’s a difference between what the meal is worth, and what you would pay to it.
A drc Rc might be worth 10k. But I wouldn’t pay for it because it’s too expensive for me. Or even if I can afford it, I would find better marginal utility elsewhere.

To me that meal in the OP would be fairly priced at around $200 considering it’s in nyc. I put that menu up against a decent Michelin 2* place. I’ve eaten at Blanca, atera, Daniel, Marea etc. all 2* places and I think the price and menu would be comparable.

If you say well Roboucon is a 3* chef. Then compared to say EMP which is $300.. or chefs table Brooklyn fare which is $400 inclusive of tax and service. I’d say $325 is on par and not out of line.

However, would I pay it? Not $325. I’ve eaten at all of the 3* places in nyc except masa. EMP and CT are easily worth every penny. Just amazing experiences. I would go back to either. Every course (11-15 courses) is outstanding. But JG and per se isn’t worth the fare.
So without getting a bit more reviews. And seeing it’s 8 courses. I probably wouldn’t pay $325.

But come on guys. No where are u going to find a menu with caviar. Waygu. Lobster. Etc. for $50. Not matter what local cook. . Willingness to pay for something doesn’t equate to what is fair/worth. Altho fairness in pricing is of course subject to one’s opinion.
To be frank, I think at a local/boutique restaurant that’s not Michelin level, you can maybe find that menu for $125-150.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 16
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/11/2018 10:19:11 PM   
hankj

That food looks really very good! I can understand why people would pay a lot for it. Probably though with wine, tax, tip you aren't getting out of the restaurant for less than 1k for 2. I'd rather buy $900 of wine for the cellar and eat some good Thai food.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 17
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 12:51:08 AM   
pclin

I can highly recommend Restaurant Moliere in Sapporo which is also Michelin 3 Star for US$180, except you have to fly to Hokkaido, Japan.

In Singapore, you would need to pay about US$300 to $600 for similar meal at Michelin 2 Star, so NY at US$325 for 3 Star is about right not that I would pay for it.

< Message edited by pclin -- 1/12/2018 2:24:04 AM >

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 18
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 2:33:44 AM   
S1

Dominiqe Crenn's place in San Francisco (Michelin**) is $325.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 19
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 4:55:35 AM   
CranBurgundy

I forgot to use the [sarcastic] correct font [/sarcastic] on the first line of my post.

.... and what do tires have to do with surf & turf?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 20
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 5:30:26 AM   
MaineMark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

And I've had it up to here with foam (points to neck). :)

I can see this as a $200 - $250 "experience," and I can see someone legitimately enjoying and appreciating it. Since it is is in NYC, maybe add another $50+.

But, for me, when I see that much foam on a menu, I am running away.

#NoFoam

Post #: 21
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 6:12:22 AM   
BigJ

This is an interesting topic, and being on a wine forum where our palates and perception of "fair value" can vary so greatly - let alone agree on what is good and what is not.

Robuchon is a legend and if I am not mistaken still holds the most Michelin stars of any one chef (in some ways irrelevant, in some way not, when discussing price).

I ate at Robuchon in Hong Kong for my partners 30th birthday, great night, special occasion and worth every penny - and it was quite a few pennies.

There is a lot more to it than just the food on the plate in this type of restaurant, and unfortunately that does mark up the price. The number of staff, breath and depth of the wine list, quality of linen/cutlery/chinaware/glassware etc.

This is my industry, so i could blab on about this for a long time, but i can say while these restaurants are undoubtably profitable, they are not cheap to run either.
With 20+ restaurants around the world, there is clearly enough people out there willing to pay for his food. Each to their own. But i do wish it was cheaper..

< Message edited by BigJ -- 1/12/2018 6:17:33 AM >

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 22
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 9:00:18 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

That food looks really very good! I can understand why people would pay a lot for it. Probably though with wine, tax, tip you aren't getting out of the restaurant for less than 1k for 2. I'd rather buy $900 of wine for the cellar and eat some good Thai food.

+1

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 23
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 11:54:14 AM   
Wine Gopher

I had that in Paris on our honeymoon. The potatoes are ridiculous.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 24
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/12/2018 11:58:54 AM   
wineismylife

Nothing to it. Bring it.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 25
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/13/2018 11:24:07 AM   
desertwine

Can't believe this is even on a wine forum?

"how could it be worth that?"
"any cook could make that for much less"
"I wouldn't pay anywhere near that"

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 26
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/13/2018 6:46:30 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

I don't think the bread is considered a course, it's 8 courses + amuse/bread/i assume some type of P4s..

$325 is on the expensive side.. but not unreasonable. I'd say $250-$275 is more 'fair'.. although fair is what people is willing to pay. but based on comparable places in NYC (assuming a 2* type places).

Can you find me one other restaurant that would serve you that menu for $50? seriously.. in NYC or NJ.. i'd LOVE to go visit next time i'm there.

I took the exact same approach, and did so without looking at anyone's reply before doing so. I landed on $225 as a a "fair" price. So we're pretty much in the same ballpark.

$50 for that menu is never going to happen anywhere.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 27
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/13/2018 6:53:28 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

$50 for that menu is never going to happen anywhere.

about 60 days ago, we spent a week in Puerto Vallarta, had some really great food every single night. Two of the nights we were at a restaurant (open exactly one year), and they had an 8 course menu for their anniversary. The restaurant was one-star all day long, but whatever (and better than some 2-star places we've been). Our 8 course dinner was $65 p/p, plus $11 corkage. So close to $50, close enough, anyway.

I can't wait to got back. Many, many times. Tintoque.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 28
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/13/2018 8:04:50 PM   
KPB

I find this thread peculiar: if you would consider a $250 bottle of wine for a special event, wouldn’t you expect the dinner to cost 2x or 3x more? Sure, I don’t drink $250 bottles of wine often. Nor do I often eat in 3* restaurants. But at the top, it just costs what it costs!

By the way, for that splurge, Daniel Boulud would be my first choice, not Robuchon...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 29
RE: How much would you pay for this meal? - 1/13/2018 10:28:26 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

if you would consider a $250 bottle of wine for a special event, wouldn’t you expect the dinner to cost 2x or 3x more

Not really; I typically pay at least as much for the wine as the food for two, unless BYOB

< Message edited by jmcmchi -- 1/13/2018 10:30:30 PM >

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How much would you pay for this meal? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI