CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Coravin Model Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin Model Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coravin Model Question - 4/4/2018 8:12:13 AM   
Wine Gopher

Does anybody have any opinions of the newer Model 1 vs. Model 2? From what I can gather the Model 1 uses cheaper materials to hit a lower price point but the products function largely the same. I'm trying to get an idea of whether the Model 2 is worth the premium price.
Model 2
Model 1
Post #: 1
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/4/2018 9:40:11 PM   
ob2s

So let me tell you about luxury products...... seriously, the needles are the same, the gas delivery system is the same. The white one may not feel heavy enough, but the black one isn't going to make your pour better or your balance of wine better preserved. I have a coravin from the initial launch, have tried the white one, and would have bought it if it was $100 cheaper 7 years ago.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to Wine Gopher)
Post #: 2
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/4/2018 9:57:01 PM   
Wine Gopher

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

So let me tell you about luxury products...... seriously, the needles are the same, the gas delivery system is the same. The white one may not feel heavy enough, but the black one isn't going to make your pour better or your balance of wine better preserved. I have a coravin from the initial launch, have tried the white one, and would have bought it if it was $100 cheaper 7 years ago.

That is kind of where I was leaning when talking about it with my wife. Nicer materials seem nice but this seems like a still developing product that we can upgrade down the road with the next new model, which will be nicer than either of them, if we find we're using it a lot.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 3
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/5/2018 2:00:01 PM   
popquizkid

What are people's general experience with these? Do they do what they claim to do and allow you drink a glass or two out of a bottle and then put it back into the cellar for a while without oxidation?

I am the only one who drinks wine regularly in my household so this would be nice to have for bottles I want to drink at home.

Post #: 4
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/5/2018 2:02:31 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

There are some other Coravin threads in this forum but this one has the most discussion going back several years with folks experiences.

https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/fb.asp?m=284635

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 5
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/5/2018 9:12:10 PM   
ob2s

Golden Rule: 2 years max storage after a 'glass' is removed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: popquizkid

What are people's general experience with these? Do they do what they claim to do and allow you drink a glass or two out of a bottle and then put it back into the cellar for a while without oxidation?

I am the only one who drinks wine regularly in my household so this would be nice to have for bottles I want to drink at home.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to popquizkid)
Post #: 6
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/6/2018 6:24:57 AM   
popquizkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

Golden Rule: 2 years max storage after a 'glass' is removed.

Thanks - that is good to know. I would probably never go more than a year so this might be worth looking at.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 7
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/6/2018 7:46:38 AM   
mye

I have one for a year or so.
I don’t trust it beyond 2 weeks. Basically wouldn’t trust any high end bottles with it.
For a week it’s better than fridge. Or vacuum pump etc.

After a month or so every bottle I’ve poked flattens out. Air gets in. I don’t care what they advertise.

That said not bad for week night drinkers.

(in reply to popquizkid)
Post #: 8
RE: Coravin Model Question - 4/6/2018 8:30:07 AM   
Wine Gopher

I went to a store to check them out yesterday. The model 1 parts felt too cheap. It is looking like Model 2.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin Model Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI