CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/2/2018 3:17:25 PM   
avalonandl

Wine drinkers in Michigan can rejoice: Wine Shipping ban struck down.

https://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Michigan-Court-Overturns-Ban-on-Wine-Retailer-Direct-Shipping

Drinking and collecting wine since 1979. A 1974 Mondavi Cabernet was my AHA moment....
Post #: 1
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/2/2018 4:23:14 PM   
KPB

Exciting! In contrast, NY S5330/A5991 is trapped in limbo...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 2
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/2/2018 4:29:59 PM   
CranBurgundy

Red tape annihilated! Score one for Michigan winos!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 3
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/2/2018 6:20:12 PM   
WineGuyCO

I honestly don’t get how we STILL have these goody liquor laws around. I think these Draconian Laws are falling one by one. Hopefully Colorado gets its act together before I get there. Supposedly wine is finally going to be sold in Costcothere by end of year. Good grief.

Rick

(in reply to avalonandl)
Post #: 4
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 6:33:04 AM   
KPB

Not clear at all that those laws are falling. In NY, there is clearly a lot of money behind these laws.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 5
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 7:36:30 AM   
PinotPhile

CO has vastly improved, Rick. Years ago, the liquor stores that sold beer & wine were not open on Sundays. Now they're open 7 days a week. It is complicated with chains such as TJs and Costco, for sure. But we began visiting CO in 2003 and by the time I made my last appearance in 2015 the change was amazing. And, of course, so many new wineries with tasting rooms had also popped up. Complete with Sunday hours.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 6
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 11:12:10 AM   
lockestep

Oddness currently going on with Maryland shipping. I had a package get from Walla to one day away when UPS sent an exception notice - "returned at shipper's request". Email from the winery noted that UPS flagged the package and their MD paperwork was not all in order. (This winery has been shipping to me for the last six vintages, and was one of the early adopters). While they straighten things out I have rerouted the package to a different state, but there seems to be some kind of pressure on the delivery companies to act as agents of the state, and assure no one ships into Maryland unless they have all their paperwork in order.
The odd part is UPS apparently having some liability and responding by acting as a middleman enforcement agent. I do know the shipping companies need an alcohol shipping permit for the state, so there may have been some arm twisting around that permit.
It all makes me wonder which of my other pending shipments might take a few cross-country voyages.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 7
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 1:45:05 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

CO has vastly improved, Rick. Years ago, the liquor stores that sold beer & wine were not open on Sundays. Now they're open 7 days a week. It is complicated with chains such as TJs and Costco, for sure. But we began visiting CO in 2003 and by the time I made my last appearance in 2015 the change was amazing. And, of course, so many new wineries with tasting rooms had also popped up. Complete with Sunday hours.

PP Yes, Colorado is getting better. I told my cousin who lives there that it will be a REAL State someday. 3.2% Coors Light from the Grocery Store is horrendous and reminded me of all my young ski days to Snowbird and Alta. Utah is another goofy liquor law State.

Rick

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 8
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 5:59:38 PM   
khmark7

Illinois legislation to over turn our ridiculous shipping laws proceeding at a snails pace.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 9
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 7:11:46 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Illinois legislation to over turn our ridiculous shipping laws proceeding at a snails pace.

Which is exactly how the legislators want it to proceed. Any other comments, maybe about campaign contributions from the in state organizations that benefit from the status quo hoping that the status remains quo for as long as possible, would be getting in to politics so I won't go any further.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! - 10/3/2018 7:24:38 PM   
WineGuyCO

The Good Ol’ Boy Network exists in the Yankee States too or where a small percentage of folks are skimming off the top. Markets should be free to stop this nonsense. Free markets also lower prices because of increased competition. Don’t we all want LOWER wine prices?

Rick

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Michigan Wine Shipping Ban Overturned !!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI