CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/21/2024 5:20:51 PM   
CranBurgundy

The guys gives more 100's than a teacher taking bribes. He's the James Suckling for California Cab.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23
Post #: 1
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/21/2024 6:29:45 PM   
Eduardo787

Agree 100% !!! I must say that I think that Maybach Materium is my #1 wine of all time and also give Materiums perfect scores. I am happy about that 100 points since I bought my full allocation of 6 bottles

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 2
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 6:56:24 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

I must say that I think that Maybach Materium is my #1 wine of all time and also give Materiums perfect scores.

My Mr. Hyde / Purple Drankin' Cretin side loves Materium, along with Myriad's Three Twins. When I get the itch for a fruit bomb and don't want Port, they're the top 2 choices from my cellar.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 3
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 7:56:38 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

"... and is all varietal raised in mostly new barrels."

I've read this sentence 4-5 times and am still not sure what it means. Does that mean 100% Cab Sauv? Otherwise, what does varietal raised in barrels me

I stopped reading Jeb's reviews when he put up a pay walls but this one seems like a bit overwrought in its flowery language.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 4
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 9:30:14 AM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

I must say that I think that Maybach Materium is my #1 wine of all time and also give Materiums perfect scores.

My Mr. Hyde / Purple Drankin' Cretin side loves Materium, along with Myriad's Three Twins. When I get the itch for a fruit bomb and don't want Port, they're the top 2 choices from my cellar.

Cran do you really find them so masive ? For me its a whole different animal than extremely sweet wines ( caymus, Prisioner, Austin hope, etc). I find the Maybachs very full bodied and sweet....yes, but not fake sweet, I find Maybach extremely sexy

Post #: 5
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 10:20:30 AM   
KPB

In my opinion, Maybach Materium is unquestionably the greatest wine I have never tried, from any vintage. Despite never having sampled it or really even read about it, I have no hesitation at all in awarding it 100pts in my list of wines other people own and love!

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 6
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 11:19:59 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Cran do you really find them so masive ? For me its a whole different animal than extremely sweet wines ( caymus, Prisioner, Austin hope, etc). I find the Maybachs very full bodied and sweet....yes, but not fake sweet, I find Maybach extremely sexy

Hey now, I said it was what I drank when I wanted something fruit-driven. Those other confection-concoctions you mentioned aren't even allowed in my house, which is sad for Caymus because I really liked it before it started changing to mass-market pleasing juice. The Special Selection from 2001 was damn tasty.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 7
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 11:21:11 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

In my opinion, Maybach Materium is unquestionably the greatest wine I have never tried, from any vintage. Despite never having sampled it or really even read about it, I have no hesitation at all in awarding it 100pts in my list of wines other people own and love!

Oh, really now? So whatcha got for trade, Professor? (PM if you want to discuss)

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 8
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 2:35:58 PM   
WineGuyCO

Jeb gives out 100 points like Meter Maids give out parking tickets.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

Post #: 9
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 2:44:45 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO

Jeb gives out 100 points like Meter Maids give out parking tickets.

Its a good thing he is not a judge in the olympiads

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 10
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 3:19:29 PM   
Scott W

Come on Cran we know you're just looking for confirmation of your last purchase

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 11
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 4:28:53 PM   
KPB

When I want fruit-driven, I go for Graham VP!

Ken Birman

(in reply to Scott W)
Post #: 12
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 6:54:36 PM   
Paul852

quote:

sad for Caymus because I really liked it before it started changing to mass-market pleasing juice.

As far as I can see at a quick look, Caymus starts at US$150 a bottle and goes up from there. People who spend that much on wine is an unusual definition of "mass market"!

Post #: 13
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 7:43:31 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

As far as I can see at a quick look, Caymus starts at US$150 a bottle and goes up from there. People who spend that much on wine is an unusual definition of "mass market"!

The standard bottling of Caymus, before the 40th Anniversary lunacy, was WELL under $100, and you could get the Special Selection for around $150. IIRC, the 750ml was around $55 and the 1L special edition was $65. Then came the 96 point Robert Parker score (back when 100's weren't thrown around like a frisbee on a college campus), and the game was on.

< Message edited by CranBurgundy -- 2/22/2024 7:44:41 PM >

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 14
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/22/2024 9:19:17 PM   
skifree

Where does the term "It should blow your socks off" come from? How could this be a positive?

Is a tornado or a hurricane or a land mine ever a good thing?

So much wine, so little time

Post #: 15
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 1:26:00 AM   
nwinther

People still get excited (or annoyed) by points?

It's years ago I stopped assigning any precise value to points - even if that is what they imply (100 being better than 99 etc.)

Far too much in wine is up to the daily form of the taster (or the wine?) to consistently be precise. I take it more as a sort of "within the range of...". So if a published reviewer gives a wine, say, 100 points, I'd expect it to be "very interesting" ie. very good.

And without having any real knowledge of JD, I wouldn't be surprised that more and more wines are scored in the high 90's (after all, wine has become way better even and especially in the high-end market).

Now, usually, I wouldn't afford a wine that is assigned 100 p., so it's sort of a moot point to me.
But hey, sometimes I can afford wines in the 95p range and that is still within the "interesting"-range.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 16
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 2:47:55 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree
Where does the term "It should blow your socks off" come from? How could this be a positive?

Is a tornado or a hurricane or a land mine ever a good thing?

It's one of those "we don't really quite know" etymology cases. Originally it was usually "knock someone's socks off", and is still more common in that form. It came to mean beat someone senseless, and was mainly used in meaning in early-mid 20th century, commonly found in the US south. But it seems to date further back into the 19th century, where it turns up in a variety of contexts. And sometimes it can happen that such phrases arise more than once independently, here motivated by the rhyme between knock and sock.

Like many strong terms, its meaning has weakened over time, and can change also. For example, terrific originally meant literally terrifying, but today there is usually no element of being scared when people use it. And so "knock someone's socks off" now just means impress someone. I wonder if there has been some interchange with "blow someone's mind" to produce the "blow someone's socks off" variant.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 17
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 3:52:06 AM   
khmark7

quote:

When I want fruit-driven, I go for Graham VP!

I'm even cheaper. I go for the NV Graham's Six Grapes

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 18
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 7:38:00 AM   
KPB

And @CranBurgundy, of course, goes for cranberry-grape juice. Just the little square boxes with the built-in straws, mostly.

Ken Birman

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 8:15:37 AM   
River Rat

quote:

And @CranBurgundy, of course, goes for cranberry-grape juice. Just the little square boxes with the built-in straws, mostly.

That’s a 100pt post right there.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 20
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 9:56:19 AM   
BenG

quote:

ORIGINAL: nwinther
Far too much in wine is up to the daily form of the taster (or the wine?) to consistently be precise. I take it more as a sort of "within the range of...". So if a published reviewer gives a wine, say, 100 points, I'd expect it to be "very interesting" ie. very good.

Perhaps give a point range.

Instead of 95 give 93-97, or in Jeb Dunnuck's case 98-102.

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 21
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 10:07:42 AM   
wjs

If you like Napa Cab and believe that a wine can be 100 points, that wine is deserving.

Disclosure: I work for Thomas Brown (winemaker) and was a participant in the tasting with Jeb where the wine was tasted/scored.

General Manager, Rivers-Marie Wines
Owner/Winemaker, William & Mary Wine Company

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 22
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 10:19:45 AM   
fingers

Waiting for a Spinal Tap reference in this thread

Guess I just made it

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 23
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 11:17:02 AM   
bretrooks

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

The standard bottling of Caymus, before the 40th Anniversary lunacy, was WELL under $100, and you could get the Special Selection for around $150. IIRC, the 750ml was around $55 and the 1L special edition was $65. Then came the 96 point Robert Parker score (back when 100's weren't thrown around like a frisbee on a college campus), and the game was on.

While it's not truly a "mass market" wine, it's a pretty ubiquitous "high-end Napa cab" at restaurants and retailers in the US, geared towards pleasing the masses who are in that market and looking for that profile, and the production is not tiny (30k cases of the Napa cab per year, 200k cases total per Jeff Leve's site).

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

Post #: 24
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 2:00:33 PM   
KPB

@wjs, you make a good point -- in fact although I've tasted very extensively in Napa (and elsewhere), and have tried a great many 100pt wines going by ratings from VM, WA, etc, I myself have only once gone above 98+ points for any Napa cabernet. Partly this is because I don't tend to score based on a theory about how those will evolve -- I can write in a TN that something might be heading for 100, and I would love for CT to allow me to input a range like (98-100?) for example, to express "98 now but might make 100 later". But it doesn't allow that. Until I actually try a wine at that ethereal peak I'm not going to score based on speculation.

But I have scored plenty of other (non Napa) wines 100 -- 7 so far, among scores I uploaded to CT. Another 8 got 99 pt scores, include one of Cory Empting's Bond bottlings -- his 2015 St. Eden.

One issue for me is that Jeb, along with many other professionals who taste in Napa, go kind of nuts for that sweet, thick style you find -- to me the most extreme was the 2009 Futo, which got 100pts from a number of critics. I gave it 91 and later felt I had maybe been too generous. Another thick 100-pointer (as perceived by others) was the 2018 Blankiet Paradise Hills. To me that degree of syrupy texture is a flaw. I gave it 92. Pancake syrup.

But the list of disappointing "100 point perfect wines!!!" is pretty long, and I've spent a fairly large amount to figure that out because wines at the upper end of the point spectrum are not cheap. I've learned not to buy wines based on 100pt scores from Jeb or anyone else (Tanzer would be an exception, but he stopped reviewing). So, I shy away from Colgin, Ovid, Screaming Eagle, Kapcasandy, Harlan, Bevan, many more. Some were incredibly polished yet dull (I like for mid-palate clarity and balance, not just aromatic intensity and sweetness... and to me a wine that lacks balance and clarity and fails to speak of a place can't possibly justify a super high score). Some were wildly out of balance (Colgin X., Bevan). Some were wildly expensive but not wildly amazing (Screaming Eagle).

Meanwhile, my favorites come from producers who rarely get 100pt scores: VHR, Greer, Kelly Fleming as well as a few that do: Verite, Promentory, Bond, Abreu, Macdonald. I don't understand how pro scoring is working in the 98+ range, basically.

At any rate we (or at least I) were partly just ribbing CranBurgundy, who deserves it because he gets a really big allocation off the Macdonald's list, which some of us will never see a bottle from. If he and Eduardo love Materium, that counts for me. And as I said, I've never tried their wines.

< Message edited by KPB -- 2/23/2024 2:05:40 PM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 25
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 2:45:10 PM   
DoubleD1969

We seem to have this discussion every year. 🤔. I can’t blame the guy (or gal) from trying to make a buck. I’m not sure why some people take it personally when a wine is scored a hundred.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 26
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/23/2024 5:13:14 PM   
KPB

Totally agree with that.

Ken Birman

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 27
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/24/2024 4:54:37 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

We seem to have this discussion every year. 🤔. I can’t blame the guy (or gal) from trying to make a buck. I’m not sure why some people take it personally when a wine is scored a hundred.

The wine critic hyper reviews are beyond informative, they can drive prices, demand, styles and sales and we are the consumers who purchase these products. Seems logical to me.

Back in the day if you didn't agree with a review or wasn't aware you could go to the store and purchase a bottle to try for yourself, but with today's prices you really can't afford to experiment all that much.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 28
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/24/2024 6:42:56 AM   
DoubleD1969

Back in the day, Lafite was $35.

Hyper reviews have been happening for twenty years now. You’re not stopping that tide. Most of us who started the wine journey this century were point whores at one point. Then we discovered what we liked and not liked. Rinse. Repeat with the next generation. I actually enjoy finding wines that are under the radar including old wines at auctions.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 29
RE: Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! - 2/24/2024 8:39:01 AM   
Hollowine

If they weren't afraid of alienating the non-maths out there, I am convinced Suckling and Dunnuck would have adopted Base 10 by now...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Jeb Dunnuck gives out ANOTHER 100 points! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI