CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Bad Zachys Experience

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Bad Zachys Experience Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 1:55:39 PM   
wdcwineguys

I’m curious to hear others thoughts. I just had a bad experience with Zachys (online order).

Placed an order in August online. Price was good. Requested a heat hold. No issues.

In September I asked about getting my order shipped when we had a week in the 60’s and the wine was coming from NYC. (I’m in DC)
I was told they were changing inventory systems and nothing could leave their storage facility. Understood. Not a huge deal.

I emailed earlier this week, no response. Emailed again today and was told they could ship my wine in 7 days. Then they emailed me a bill for shipping, nearly $50 for shipping and “damage coverage”. Oh and tax on the shipping!! This was for (2) bottles to go from NY to the DC area via FedEx Ground!! Not air, not Express. (Value of the wine under $250)

I was shocked. For comparison, Wine.com just shipped me 4 bottles from Miami via FedEx ground for $22. I order cases of wine from CA and never pay that amount for shipping two bottles unless it’s air. I was curious, so I went online to another NYC based retailer and they want $15 to ship 2 bottles to me via Ground and $23 for 2-day air.

When I pressed Zachys they told me they use a third party shipper and that was the best rate. As an FYI Zachys does not provide shipping costs when buying online. At least they didn’t when I placed my order.

< Message edited by wdcwineguys -- 10/16/2020 1:57:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 3:12:01 PM   
DoubleD1969

Sorry to hear about your experience. The cost isn't much higher than what they charge to drive it across the GW Bridge to NJ (about $35). I don't buy from them too often. When I do, I ask for them to hold so I can consolidate other purchases. I would have cancelled my order in your case.

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 4:13:31 PM   
BrentwoodAuctions

I have a couple years of experience in the auctions market and currently work for an auction house. I can attest to the fact that interstate alcohol shipping laws are a nightmare and FedEx is especially punitive against shippers. If a company is using FedEx to ship wine interstate directly, depending on the circumstances they may have a nasty cease-and-desist letter coming their way in the future. For these reasons it is not uncommon to use a third party to get the wine across state lines then use a common carrier for the last leg of the journey. While these services do add to the cost I agree that $50 for shipping and insurance on a $250 order is egregious.

In any case, I would mostly blame the terribly convoluted interstate alcohol shipping laws for your bad experience. Sounds like Zachy's could have done better for sure, but believe me dealing with FedEx regarding interstate shipping is thorny business.

< Message edited by BrentwoodAuctions -- 10/16/2020 4:22:21 PM >

Stephen Allison
Brentwood Wine Company
https://www.brentwoodwine.com/

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 4:22:37 PM   
wdcwineguys

I just cancelled the order.

Placed the order with another retailer in NYC. Paid $15 for shipping.
I order a ton of wine that ships from California. Some comes from third party shippers. I’ve never paid that much for ground shipping.

The entire experience just wasn’t great. Now I know.

(in reply to BrentwoodAuctions)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 4:25:52 PM   
BrentwoodAuctions

Sorry to hear that, I wish you smoother dealings in the future.

Cheers

Stephen Allison
Brentwood Wine Company
https://www.brentwoodwine.com/

Post #: 5
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 4:59:34 PM   
Chip Merlot

Sad to say but they probably won't care. Zachy's deals mostly with super-rich people from NYC and the rich suburbs that ring the city and they'll charge what they can get away with.

(in reply to BrentwoodAuctions)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 5:49:12 PM   
WineGuyCO

Shipping is the first consideration for me from an online retailer. If it’s too high it’s a no go. I regularly pay $30 or so for a full case from California and NY. If it’s $30 for 6 bottles plus tax that adds $10 a bottle. Another no go. Usually the cost of shipping for 12 bottles is just a little higher than for 6 bottles. In this case, I will have the retailer hold my order until I have 12 bottles. Going way back I’ve never found any deals at Zachy’s nor have I ever bought a bottle from them. Try Saratoga Wine. They are awesome.

Rick

Post #: 7
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 7:55:10 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineGuyCO
Try Saratoga Wine. They are awesome.

Oh HECK yes!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 8
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/16/2020 8:38:25 PM   
jmcmchi

Shipping your own wine is even worse

I was tempted to see ifwe could set up a cellartracker rate with UPS or Fedex - anything better than $87 to ship a case coast to coast

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 9
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 7:46:08 AM   
hankj

Fwiw, I went on the Wine Exchange website yesterday and tried to order 6 bottles. Southern California shop; I'm in Seattle.

Only shipping offered Fedex. Cheapest option $64.23 ground.

This is 3 times what shipping used to cost. Maybe they are now having to bake my state alcohol taxes into the shipping?

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 10
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 9:42:34 AM   
Slye

Also in Seattle. Just paid $20 for ground shipment from California from Echelon wines. On the other extreme. I was once charged close to 80 for a case from Oregon direct from a winery. I did not make that mistake again.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 11
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 1:34:22 PM   
wdcwineguys

So I’m used to high shipping costs, especially direct from smaller wineries in CA. For example, Scarecrow is $52 to ship one two make of M.Etian in its wooden box. But that’s not ground. I get (2) bottles a month from Acme in St Helena as part of their under the radar club. Shipping is always in the $20 range.

I generally order wine locally. We have some great wine merchants in the DC area. There are a few outside of DC that I order from, but ground shipping, including recently, isn’t expensive.

What gets me is Zachys even wanted to charge me if I went to pick it up from their DC location. Their customer service once I refused the shipping cost has been terrible.
Buyer beware.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 12
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 3:41:08 PM   
WineGuyCO

I honestly don’t understand why some retailers have low shipping rates and others are absurd? I think it’s a definite Marketing advantage to have low shipping rates. I think $30-$35 for a case of wine from either coast to Colorado is reasonable. $60 plus is not. I did pay $35 from Merry Edwards in California to Colorado a month ago because it was with FedEx Cold and it was a hot time. The wine was expensive but it was worth paying a bit more to know the bottles would arrive in pristine condition which they did. Bottles pulled out of the packing box were still cool.

Rick

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 13
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 4:02:59 PM   
KPB

Very uneven experiences in my case. But once, they had an auction where a mixed half case of Noval Nacionale VP somehow didn’t sell. I bid on that lot, but was outbid, or so it seemed. And you know what? They phoned after it closed and asked if I still wanted them...

I still have 4 of those bottles, and the 2 we drank were insane.

So I buy from them now and then. Debt of loyalty.

< Message edited by KPB -- 10/17/2020 4:03:58 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 14
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 4:08:07 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I bid on that lot, but was outbid, or so it seemed. And you know what? They phoned after it closed and asked if I still wanted them...

Guess the shill pushed too far and "won".

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 15
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/17/2020 8:24:19 PM   
Eduardo787

I have bought from Zachys many times and I hate them. They charge a hell of a lot for shipping in a consolidated form to Texas ( give or take $100/case) ground. But the thing that bothers me the most is their marketing bull... let me explain. They have the normal prices but when they have their "Sale" the prices on many bottles are inflated a lot and then they say -20% or whatever. At the end the price is the normal price they always have. I want to order from them Chateau La Conseillante 2019 futures but the price is the same as what I spent in the 2016 La Conseillante that was in stock! You order 6 wines at $55 and then you pay $80 (or so) for shipment! For me they are the typical " Going out of business sale " that you find so often in Manhattan and then you find that you overpay and that after 10 years the same store is there with the same sign...

Now you may ask why I buy from them. Texas is terrible for shipping wines, terrible. I can buy from so few vendors it is sad.

For me the best deals I have found for shipping wines to Texas come from Fine Wines International in San Francisco CA. The only problem for me is that they do not sell a lot of California wines and they specialize in Burgundy and Bordeaux. BTW, I bought a lot "in primeur" of 2019 Bdx from them.

I wish Zachys were more honest.

EDIT ! I mean Duo La Conseillante and NOT La Conseillante. 2019 vintage En primeur

< Message edited by Eduardo787 -- 10/18/2020 8:25:37 AM >

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

Post #: 16
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/18/2020 7:00:22 AM   
KPB

Eduardo, check out Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, or K&L Wines in Redwood City. Lots of genuine deals and shipping is cheap. If they can’t ship to your state, they hand off to a third party who can ship.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 17
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/18/2020 7:29:05 AM   
Paul852

@Eduardo787 Are you saying that they are offering you 2019 Chateau La Conseillante at $55 per bottle? I'm seeing about US$100 at best, plus taxes.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 18
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/18/2020 8:24:01 AM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

@Eduardo787 Are you saying that they are offering you 2019 Chateau La Conseillante at $55 per bottle? I'm seeing about US$100 at best, plus taxes.

I am so sorry, I mean DUO by La Conseillante !!!! Sorry about that. La Conseillante is about 170 give or take for 2019.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 19
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/18/2020 2:00:01 PM   
OceanExpress

Good to know, thx for posting. I have come close to ordering from Zachy's on several occasions, will now be very cautious.

Two years ago Winebid shipping to VA just about trippled. Not ordering from them anymore because of it...

Post #: 20
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/18/2020 5:30:43 PM   
Old Doug

Just shaking my head at the shipping prices...

(in reply to OceanExpress)
Post #: 21
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/18/2020 6:34:38 PM   
djlevin

The other online retailer that kills me is Gary's Wine in NJ. Great selection of Italian wines, but the shipping cross country is crazy expensive. Occasionally, they have a good shipping special, so I stay on their email list, but freight out of FL retailers like B21 is way cheaper. The Italian selection on the West Coast is just not as interesting as the East Coast retailers.

What if there were no hypothetical questions? - Anonymous

Didn't I ever tell you? Bumbles Bounce! - Yukon Cornelius

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 22
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/19/2020 1:57:40 PM   
wdcwineguys

So oddly a few of the big online merchants, such as K&L, don’t ship to Virginia even though Virginia’s a pretty easy state to ship to. The online merchants I deal with are normally very fair on shipping costs. Wine Access has a great deal with the free shipping on six bottles or $120+. Cana in Nashville normally gets me wine via ground very reasonably.

The entire Zachy’s experience is just terrible. Oh and now they want a 10% restocking fee for wine that never left their facility. I will never buy from them again.

(in reply to djlevin)
Post #: 23
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/19/2020 3:48:16 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: hankj

Fwiw, I went on the Wine Exchange website yesterday and tried to order 6 bottles. Southern California shop; I'm in Seattle.

Only shipping offered Fedex. Cheapest option $64.23 ground.

This is 3 times what shipping used to cost. Maybe they are now having to bake my state alcohol taxes into the shipping?

It's a great place to shop in person, though, if you happen to be in Orange County. Fabulous selection, great prices.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 24
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/19/2020 4:15:52 PM   
wadcorp

Is the Bad Zachys a metal band from New Jersey?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Post #: 25
RE: Bad Zachys Experience - 10/19/2020 7:18:41 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Is the Bad Zachys a metal band from New Jersey?

You know, I think I remember them opening for Cinderella at the Galaxy.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Bad Zachys Experience Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI