CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Balkan countries - recommendations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Balkan countries - recommendations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Balkan countries - recommendations - 9/28/2023 7:35:16 AM   
davo22

We will be travelling through some of the Balkans next year. Planning to spend time in Romania, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Bosnia, Serbia and Albania. Possibly northern Greece. Looking for any recommendations from those that have travelled there for must visit wine regions and producers. Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Balkan countries - recommendations - 9/30/2023 3:46:44 AM   
Sir LaL

Hi Davo

You got a lot of travel plans ahead of you with South Africa and the Balkans. Very nice :-).

I do not have much experience with most of the countries that you are going to visit on this trip. However I was in Serbia this summer, only in the capitol Belgrade. I was planning on visiting some wineries and do some tastings, this was however more troublesome than expected unless you are a group, otherwise it seemed to be hugely expensive for a solo traveller on a normal budget. So do your planning in advance.

Belgrade is a beautiful city with a huge potential. Most people are nice, but beware some of them just see you as a dollar sign - especially on the restaurants. Check your bill and if you are ordering wine by the glass make sure to see the bottle that they are pouring from.

However; I would go visit Basa (amber and naturewine producer), Vinarija Vujic and Erdevik.

In general I was mostly impressed by the whites and Pinot Noirs (and no it does not resemble Burgundy - If you want to drink burgundy spend your money on burgundy). But do expect big fruit forwarded red wines besides the Pinots.

Have a nice trip :-)

Best regards
Lars Lundgaard

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 2
RE: Balkan countries - recommendations - 9/30/2023 5:14:58 AM   
BenG

I was very impressed with the Feteasca Negra made by Alira in Romania. I tried it at a wine bar and bought a bottle at Bucharest airport to bring back home. It reminded me a bit of zinfandel.

(in reply to Sir LaL)
Post #: 3
RE: Balkan countries - recommendations - 9/30/2023 9:29:55 AM   
Eduardo787

You are sooo close to my dream country yet to visit: Transnistria ! Maybe not for everyone, but this might be one of the most weird and interesting places you can visit nowadays. See some videos about this extremely unique and weird place, who know, maybe you like that kind of adventure.

I canĀ“t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 4
RE: Balkan countries - recommendations - 10/1/2023 2:57:51 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787
You are sooo close to my dream country yet to visit: Transnistria ! Maybe not for everyone, but this might be one of the most weird and interesting places you can visit nowadays. See some videos about this extremely unique and weird place, who know, maybe you like that kind of adventure.

[off-rail]You say unique, but isn't it in the same category as Abkhazia and South Ossetia, which are also frozen civil war breakaway regimes, supported/provoked by Russia? And indeed Russian-occupied Ukraine, though there the war is still proceeding, and widespread destruction evident on the ground. And until literally last week there was another, Artsakh, more commonly known as Nagorno-Karabakh, which Russia suddenly stopped supporting allowing Azerbaijan to retake it very quickly.

I suppose it depends what you like, but I would have thought Abkhazia was the best bet for a combination of the political experience and scenery. When Soviet leaders went for their holidays in Georgia, in practice it was to what is now Abkhazia, where the mountains come down to the sea. Stalin had his villa there. There's a fair bit of old-fashioned border theatre, or not-border theatre as the Georgians would see it, in visiting it. There's some time-consuming permits to apply for, and hanging about waiting to be dealt with, so it's not a day-trip. I think it is rather more straightforward to go on a day-trip from Chisinau to Tiraspol.

Of course both Moldova and Georgia have good vinous reputations, and the vineyards extend into Transnistria and Abkhazia, though those might not have modernised to the same degree as in the recognised administrations.[/off-rail]

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Balkan countries - recommendations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI