CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Cellar redo 2023

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar redo 2023 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cellar redo 2023 - 11/1/2023 5:19:54 PM   
Eduardo787

So, here we go. After 15 years and a hectic and completely full cellar space that I have, I finally decided to redo the whole place. A guy that makes kitchens and closets came to my house for some money to buy material because we are moving 6 feet the wall of my cellar. Those 6 feet might seems not very much, but I will gain almost double the present space and I will be able to have all my wine instead of having many cases at a friends cellar. The redo will mean move everything out , lots of dust, noise, and well...the works but when everything is done seems I will have a cellar set for life. I think overall I will be gaining about 100 sq feet of floor space give or take. The final room will be about 250 sq feet and since I have about 90% in boxes and cases it can take a hell of a lot of wine. Maybe when my kids get married and leave the crib I will make that cellar that we all dream of, but for now that place is not available for that.

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/1/2023 5:31:31 PM   
khmark7

Good luck with the remodel. Those projects ALWAYS go as planned, very smooth and in budget

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/1/2023 6:13:55 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Good luck with the remodel. Those projects ALWAYS go as planned, very smooth and in budget

Less certain than death and taxes !

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/1/2023 6:23:50 PM   
daviladc

Praying for you and a quick remodel.

Personally, I have just recovered mentally from my 4th ceiling replacement in my wine room because this my first summer without condensation issues.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 4
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/1/2023 6:44:46 PM   
DoubleD1969

Maybe add some solar panels with a large battery to power your dedicated cooling unit in case your power goes out.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 5
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/4/2023 6:12:38 AM   
musedir

Fun stuff Eduardo! Now there's more room for vintage ports and intriguing champers!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 6
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/5/2023 7:47:19 PM   
recotte

quote:

but when everything is done seems I will have a cellar set for life

Once upon a time, I thought that, too, when I had a single storage locker. Then a second, then a third. Then a big walk in locker. Now my recently completed BILD 800 at home... where I have roughly 1100 bottles in a space meant for 800!!!

Set for life is more like "set for now... until my next round of buying!"

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 7
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 11/5/2023 9:36:14 PM   
Rich64N

I used to know a little about construction on the West Coast of Mexico (concrete, concrete, and more concrete, reinforced) but nothing about your area. My parents had a townhouse on the Malecon in Loreto BCS, 5m ceilings, all concrete, sold in 1993 (probably over $1M today). I remember going to the travel agent to book a flight there ~1991 and when she asked what time of day I wanted to fly I said I want the daily flight (LAX-Loreto-La Paz) the only one available (pre-Internet) - before Cabo was a big thing. Immigration and customs was under a palapa (palm leaf roof shack) for the 20-50 folks/day arriving on the one flight (plus private jets for the exclusive professional tennis ranch (Joe McEnroe) and nudist colony (not at the same time)).
DoubleD mentioned solar panels but I have no idea if your power companies and governments (State and Federal) subsidize it like in the USA (and in some US States the permitting process takes ages (AZ, HI, but very fast in WA)). Often I've been the one explaining to folks (the horrible engineer who says the idea won't work no matter how much you wish it will) why their simplistic solar panels idea will kill the power company employees if there is a power outage. Again I have no idea of the reliability of power in Monterrey (Nuevo León) but I remember you mentioning outages (my last outage over 1 hour was 2006 (12 hours))
I hope you can have your cellar air conditioning system do its heat exchange to outside air. The heat has to go somewhere and the rest of the room is not the best place (your refrigerator heats up the kitchen- it removes heat from the refrigerator and dumps it into the kitchen, then to be removed from the kitchen by the house AC system (basic thermodynamics, Cold is the absence of Heat (enthalpy) and the heat has to go somewhere).

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 12/7/2023 11:24:21 AM   
Eduardo787

Got a call from the contractor that is going to do the job in my cellar. He told me he is ready for next week and the work should take 2 full days. We are talking about moving all the wines from my cellar elsewhere. I have 2 options and I just want to know if there would be a difference or I am just paranoic.

Option 1 : Leave all the wine in the room that is besides the cellar but I cannot use the air conditioning because the a/c machine is actually inside the cellar and well, I dont want with all the dust and debris etc to damage the unit so I am going to cover the unit and turn it off. That leaves me with a pasive cellar that would be in the mid 60s. This option is VERY easy and the wines would change the temperature from 58f or so to 65f for 3 or 4 days and then again from 65f to 58f when the work and cleaning is done.

Option 2 : Move the cellar to my house next door and put the wines with a/c 24hrs at a constant 60f or so. When the job is done return everything back to the cellar. This option would mean a very small temperature difference for the wines and the expense of a lot of work ( doable, but not a walk in the park).

I have the time and means to to either, but maybe I am being very paranoic and there is nothing to worry about. Several of the wines have been in the same room for more than a decade and on the expensive side. Of course the idea is to play it safe, but also with a lot of common sense.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 9
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 12/7/2023 12:02:22 PM   
daviladc

For two days, it's not a worry to the wine for me.

The only thing is the humidity and slight bit of warmth may cause the bottles to sweat and ripple the labels. This is exactly what happened to my bottles during my cellar work.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 10
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 12/7/2023 12:58:35 PM   
Ibetian

A few days in the mid 60s are not going to hurt your wine. With rare exceptions, most wines will see temperatures in that range or higher on their way to us in the supply chain.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 11
RE: Cellar redo 2023 - 12/7/2023 1:13:44 PM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ibetian

A few days in the mid 60s are not going to hurt your wine. With rare exceptions, most wines will see temperatures in that range or higher on their way to us in the supply chain.

Agreed...not an issue.

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar redo 2023 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll