CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Drinking Window

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Drinking Window Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Drinking Window - 12/6/2023 6:43:17 PM   
WineauVerboard

Hi, noob (to CT, not to wine) here. Just got my collection entered, discovering all kinds of cool features!

How are the drinking windows derived? Is it community-based? Input from producers? AI? Something else?
Post #: 1
RE: Drinking Window - 12/6/2023 10:24:36 PM   
nwinther

Welcome WineauVerboard.

The drinking window is based on a Community average (or median?), I believe.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to WineauVerboard)
Post #: 2
RE: Drinking Window - 12/7/2023 1:00:27 AM   
Echinosum

The reality of much (better quality) wine, both white and red, is that it has an attractive period for drinking in its relative youth, then becomes less attractive as it converts itself to the aged product, and finally blooms again for its magnificent maturity.

Drinking windows of year1-year2 fail to reflect this.

So you might see a window that computes as 3yo-20yo, for a mid-market syrah for example. But in reality it's (potentially) worth trying at 3-4yo for youthful impact. But then, if you have any patience, you won't touch it again until it is at least 8, as it will lose that youthful attractiveness and not yet have re-emerged in its magnificent maturity. In the interim, it can be rather dumb, or at least disjointed. These numbers are just examples. Dumb periods can start and/or end much later than in this example. And some wines are just too tough in their youth to be worth trying. It is often rather difficult to predict when a wine might re-emerge from a dumb phase, and it will depend on storage conditions. Owners of top 2005 clarets, for example, are often still waiting. People without patience may give a wine a long decant, several days even, to help it open out, or to understand how it is developing.

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 3
RE: Drinking Window - 12/7/2023 6:34:08 AM   
DoubleD1969

It's the least reliable data point. I would take it with a large grain of salt. Trust your own experience and palate.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 4
RE: Drinking Window - 12/7/2023 7:05:38 AM   
WineauVerboard

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. I think I've got good instincts and experience, I just didn't know if it was more group-think than recommendations by a Producer or pro reviewer.

Wonderful to be in a community of good intentions and common goals.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 5
RE: Drinking Window - 12/7/2023 7:50:28 AM   
fingers

I always encourage the practice of adding your own drinking windows, even if it closely or exactly aligns with the community values. I usually have a consumption time frame in mind when I buy the wine. I will consider the community and pro windows, but I always enter my own values. That will also contribute to the community drinking window numbers, which are commonly derived by only a few users.

Here's a saved report that I call "Drink start and drink by":

Start on My Cellar view. Summarize by " drink starting". Next column, summarize by "drink by". Next column " individual wine"
You can then save the report for a quick shortcut.

< Message edited by fingers -- 12/7/2023 9:43:00 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Drinking Window - 12/7/2023 8:00:24 AM   
sastewart

If you click on the drinking window you can look at the various sources. I enter information from publications like the Wine Advocate for some of my wines and that is where it defaults to. In the case below my front page shows 2019-2042 but if you look further the community dates are "Best enjoyed between 2019 and 2039 (Based on 99 user opinions)"

2009 Château Gruaud Larose
My Drinking Window
Note:
DRINKING WINDOWS are pulled from a variety of sources in the order shown below. For copyrighted sources each user needs to add the content themselves as a pro review.

My Drink Dates (help)
Drink Soonest
Drink Latest
Wine Advocate (help)2019-2042
Wine Spectator (help)not specified (add)
International Wine Cellar (help)not specified (add)
Wine Enthusiast (help)not specified (add)
Vinous (help)not specified
Burghound (help)not specified (add)
The WINEFRONT (help)not specified
JancisRobinson.com (help)not specified (add)
Decanter (help)not specified
WineAlign (help)not specified
View From the Cellar (help)2020-2060
Community Drink Dates (help)Best enjoyed between 2019 and 2039 (Based on 99 user opinions)

Post #: 7
RE: Drinking Window - 12/7/2023 9:22:59 AM   
BRR

Great replies above. I'd only add that many TN posters are good at putting some mention of drinking window in their TNs if you're inclined to read them. By far the most frequent are something like, "Drinking well now..." or "Needs a few more years..." etc.

I would also encourage you to, if you haven't already, make the default on your CT landing page under the "Popular Wines" page on the right the, "Recent Reviews" and then, "Community Notes on My Wines." That's my favorite feature as it's notes posted on wines you own. Very timely and topical and, for me, it's daily coffee time morning reading.

Cheers!

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 8
RE: Drinking Window - 12/8/2023 3:12:37 PM   
wine247365

quote:

ORIGINAL: WineauVerboard

Hi, noob (to CT, not to wine) here. Just got my collection entered, discovering all kinds of cool features!

How are the drinking windows derived? Is it community-based? Input from producers? AI? Something else?

Welcome to the board, WVboard!

In addition to the good advice above, you’ll find more about the drinking windows and possible settings in this article https://support.cellartracker.com/article/28-ready-to-drink-report , which you can get via the Help link on the main CT landing page at the top left. Other great resources are available there too!

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Drinking Window Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote