CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Producer over Vintage Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Producer over Vintage Thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Producer over Vintage Thread - 1/3/2024 9:16:41 PM   
Hollowine

I can't recall a thread on this topic, at least I couldn't find one with the quick search of prior threads.

Now that I have some longevity to look back on in this passion, the phrase "Produce over Vintage" has a bit more clarity. I've certainly followed various producers religiously across warm, cold, dry, wet, abusive vintages, and seen many examples where I may love the overall style of the producer, non-easy vintages end up with less then stellar products (Flabby, thin, early aging, etc.)

Yet there are other producers who truly speak to the vines, and produce reliable wines even in vintages considered 'off.' As I start to focus my purchasing on filling in some nicely aged bottles from areas I was unfortunately blind to in my early years, I'd like to look for some of these and not really as much about over-scrutinizing the vintages.

So as an example, I can't think of a single vintage I've had of Ridge Monte Bello that couldn't be considered a solid example, I've had about 20 vintages or so.

Would specifically like some guidance in Burgundy and Barolo, but all regions welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Producer over Vintage Thread - 1/4/2024 6:29:51 AM   
CranBurgundy

For what you're asking about, I'd give this advice:

In lesser vintages, stick with the top producers to assure you have great wine. In top vintages, you can buy lesser producers and still get great wine.

My example: 2007 Chambolle-Musigny. The year wasn't rated well at first, but the better houses made fantastic Burgundy that is just now catching the attention of some critics who are amending their scores upwards. The general consensus is that the vintage produced some finely spiced, light bodied, and feminine scented wine. Along with 2000 & 2014, this is the vintage to buy if you really want to see how delicate & precise C-M can be.

ps - 2007 Mosel has also gained a few points recently, despite also being considered an average vintage at best the first few years after bottling.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 2
RE: Producer over Vintage Thread - 1/4/2024 7:05:14 AM   
DoubleD1969

Burgundy is probably the best example of Producer Over Vintage. Only problem with that is the prices. The challenge is finding a producer whose prices aren’t in the stratosphere.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3
RE: Producer over Vintage Thread - 1/5/2024 2:05:10 AM   
Echinosum

Most producers don't command a price that is high enough to cover the very high cost of making good wine in poor vintages. For you can do it, but it is exceedingly labourious and the yields are small.

For example, you can get excellent bunches of grapes to make the wine, if you spend a lot of labour in the vineyard adjusting the canopy to the conditions and thinning bunches to maximise ripeness. Clearly many vineyards do mechanical green pruning. But going in with the secateurs and pruning vine by vine, that's incredibly laborious. Then finally religious selection work to make sure only the bunches, or even part bunches, of sufficient quality are pressed.

This willingness to do this is what sets apart these top producers. But their product will be very expensive.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Producer over Vintage Thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI