CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content creators

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content creators Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content crea... - 1/5/2024 6:59:56 AM   
Claymonster

In the last year I started taking a much deeper interest in wine. Being a relative rookie, I found that I learned a lot by following some individuals and content creators in the field beyond the usual paywalled sites and publications, particularly outside of those folks like Jeff Leve that just offer mountains of tasting notes and scores. For example, I regularly enjoy the SOMM TV and VinePair podcasts. Konstantin Baum's YouTube channel is also very entertaining and informative (although I can do without the faux eyes-wide-and-shocked expression thumbnails for his videos). He even has a video where he reviews Cellar Tracker and tastes some of this site's more popular under $40 bottlings. And I really enjoy the videos that Andre Mack does for Bon Appetit. I find that this younger generation (of wine bros?) is creative, thoughtful, enlightening, humorous, and engaging. Perhaps I'm drawn to them since I myself straddle the Gen X-Millennial divide. And perhaps some of their commentary and content speaks to me because they're trying to reach a newer audience who doesn't have decades of experience like many of you. Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for other non-paywalled personalities, young or old? Cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 7:23:08 AM   
Lo Pagan

....definitely on the 'crumblie' side of the divide but interested nonetheless. Thanks for the headz up!!

(in reply to Claymonster)
Post #: 2
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 9:12:14 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I've enjoyed Wine Folly through the years. Madeline is quirky and fun, if sometimes a bit elementary. But elementary is certainly good for newbie wine drinkers... https://winefolly.com/ Looks like "Free" subscription now with signing up for newsletter, I used to follow the blog when it was more open resource, so don't know if there are hidden costs if you sign up.

Another, more recent find is TallMikeWine. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tallmikewine-podcast/id1548337838

Mike is a CTer as well https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=287061

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Lo Pagan)
Post #: 3
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 10:24:44 AM   
grafstrb

If you're on Instagram, there is a whole slew of folks worth following.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 4
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 11:30:22 AM   
Claymonster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinCowiche

I've enjoyed Wine Folly through the years. Madeline is quirky and fun, if sometimes a bit elementary. But elementary is certainly good for newbie wine drinkers... https://winefolly.com/ Looks like "Free" subscription now with signing up for newsletter, I used to follow the blog when it was more open resource, so don't know if there are hidden costs if you sign up.

Another, more recent find is TallMikeWine. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tallmikewine-podcast/id1548337838

Mike is a CTer as well https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=287061

Cheers Chris. I'll have a listel to TallMikeWine. I've sampled a little of the Wine Folly stuff and she definitely has an enthusiasm about her that is infectious.

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

I am. Anyone you'd recommend in particular?

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 5
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 1:09:19 PM   
recotte

I like the free newsletter "Drinking and Knowing Things," https://www.drinkingandknowingthings.com/

Every week, the newsletter gives a humorous but informative dive into a particular region or variety, frequently one that is off the beaten path. And even though they're a few years into the newsletter at this point, when you sign up, you'll start with #1 and receive all of their published newsletters in order so you don't miss any (although you'll also never be "current," although that doesn't really matter too much. I'm currently receiving the emails from about two years ago). You can request to skip ahead to the current one, but then you'd miss a bunch.

< Message edited by recotte -- 1/5/2024 1:19:58 PM >

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 6
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 1:33:13 PM   
DoubleD1969

Check out V is for Vino on YouTube. I’ve found it very informative. Turned me onto Albarino and the region where it comes from.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 7
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/5/2024 3:41:05 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

I am. Anyone you'd recommend in particular?

rieslinghoarder
docgkeith
clayfu.wine
rieslingfans
rieslingroom
force.berry
jlc_wine
fortheloveofport
willie_uncorked
sousliege
adn.wine
soilpimp
champagnesanna
martineksten
swedishchampagne
yuri_s1029
kristaps_karklins
grmrcywine
asktoni.de
attorneysomm
wgfkelley
englishmans_claret

That'll get ya started.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 8
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/8/2024 2:21:58 AM   
nwinther

I watch No Sediment on YT.

My main issue with YT is the appeal to beginners that often carries on forever. They begin from scratch in every video, figuratively.

I experience this in many venues, wether it be tastings, books, magazines and - surprisingly - online, where there's plenty of room to dig deep and the reach is indefinite.
Of course the more in-depth places exist, I just think new creators/hosts take too long on the basics.

What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 9
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/8/2024 9:44:37 AM   
Ralphs Bar

I'll always plug Elizabeth Schneider's Wine for Normal People podcast. She has a big back catalogue of free podcasts & has a particular talent for distilling her huge base of knowledge into pretty accessible discussions.

You can find anything from the basics of wine regions and grape varieties to chats with Chateau managers and wine merchants.

She also publishes the the Big Corporate Winery list and the Independent Wine shop list.

(in reply to nwinther)
Post #: 10
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/8/2024 12:53:29 PM   
daviladc

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Check out V is for Vino on YouTube. I’ve found it very informative. Turned me onto Albarino and the region where it comes from.

Great shout! The Provance episode turned me on to Domaine Ott, now my favorite rosé.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 11
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/8/2024 1:14:36 PM   
DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: daviladc
quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Great shout! The Provance episode turned me on to Domaine Ott, now my favorite rosé.

Yes, I agree with the Provence episode! Porto was great too, and I also liked that the Bordeaux episode wasn't about the big chateaux.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 12
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/8/2024 6:11:00 PM   
daviladc

I really enjoyed the early episodes of the Wine King channel on YouTube.

My favorite was when they blind tasted Caymus and the old guy said "The wine maker should be shot". 🤣🤣🤣

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 13
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/9/2024 10:19:02 AM   
Claymonster

I appreciate the recommendations everyone. They're all on my radar now. And I can already tell I'm going to be a fan of the Drinking and Knowing Things newsletter. That guy's approach is right up my alley. Cheers!

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 14
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/9/2024 3:03:53 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster

I appreciate the recommendations everyone. They're all on my radar now. And I can already tell I'm going to be a fan of the Drinking and Knowing Things newsletter. That guy's approach is right up my alley. Cheers!

Glad that DAKT is resonating with you. It's a fun read every week.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 15
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/17/2024 2:13:08 PM   
prasm

A couple more along the lines of No Sediment and Konstantin Baum on YT are Dr Matthew Horkey and Attorney Somm. I enjoy all four with Konstantin Baum being my favorite. Dr Horkey can be a bit of an acquired taste and I still sometimes wonder if Attorney Somm isn't really a robot, but their content is usually informative, if not always entertaining.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 16
RE: Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content ... - 1/17/2024 3:08:01 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: prasm

A couple more along the lines of No Sediment and Konstantin Baum on YT are Dr Matthew Horkey and Attorney Somm. I enjoy all four with Konstantin Baum being my favorite. Dr Horkey can be a bit of an acquired taste and I still sometimes wonder if Attorney Somm isn't really a robot, but their content is usually informative, if not always entertaining.

All of them I love, I like a lot attorney somm and yes, he can be a little monolithic. There is one other guy that I forget his name and I love his content. His YT channel is "Wine Money and song" ( extremely weird name). I think the guys name is Tom Bain or Baine. VERY good

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to prasm)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Recs for non-critic wine personalities and content creators Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI