CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!) - pairing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!) - pairing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!) - p... - 12/21/2023 7:36:04 PM   
Rossodio

Trying to choose a wine to pair with a beef wellington I will be making on Saturday. Any thoughts from my cellar would be welcomed.

Recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-beef-wellington-recipe2-1952280 - of note, I will be making the side and salad on this page as well.

My cellar link below in my signature :)

I need an excuse to open one of my 2005 volnays but I think(?) a younger wine with a bit more fruit may be more suitable. Or maybe my '11 Conterno barolo? Syrah-based rhone (2021 St. Cosme Cote-Rotie?)? My Pibarnon? Decisions, decisions... Help me out!

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

Post #: 1
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/21/2023 11:06:58 PM   
Hollowine

Great choice Ross, have you made this one before? We've made it 3-4 times, usually rotates in for Xmas or New Years Eve every 2 years or so. Couple tips we've learned over several preparations of this recipe...

- for the mustard, much prefer smooth Dijon vs. grainy Dijon
- Learned the hard way to try to buy a good quality prosciutto or ask for it sliced slightly thick to avoid tearing
- For the sauce, we've found we cut the Green Peppercorns and instead go with fresh cracked black pepper and a bit of cayenne (adjust to taste). The brandy, cream, and cayenne really work for our taste

For the wine, I tend to lean toward an mid-drinking window Cali Cab or Bordeaux. I like having some bigger fruit to stand up to the pepper notes of our sauce. So I think you are on the right track, save the Volnay for another night. Not sure how the Barolo would fare, maybe one of your 2005 or 2009 Bordeaux?

I'm thinking of throwing my own advice to the side and opening a Penfold's Grange this year, have one that has been calling to me to open, though I'll probably pull an older Cali Cab and make a game-day decision.

Enjoy dinner! Merry Christmas!

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 2
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 4:21:12 AM   
cjsavino

Agree with above and go with a 2005 or 2009 Bordeaux

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 3
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 5:34:34 AM   
Paul852

Well I'm not familiar with many of the wines in your cellar, but if that were a wine list and I was picking for this I'd take either the 2015 Caprili Brunello di Montalcino or, if I was in the mood for some tannins, the 2017 Château Bouscassé Madiran.

But there are several Bordeaux that would seem to fit the bill too; I think this comes down to the personal taste preferences on you and your guests. You seem to have a pretty good and wide selection to choose from.

(in reply to cjsavino)
Post #: 4
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 7:12:19 AM   
wineismylife

Historically I've always seen Cabernet Franc as a classic pairing for Beef Wellington. So I'd lean towards a Chinon in that case. Other than that as already mentioned I'd lean heavily towards a Northern Rhone or Cabernet based Bordeaux.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 5
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 9:11:10 AM   
daviladc

I agree with Scott.

A big fruit cab with the peppercorns would match better than a syrah that has a white pepper profile.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 6
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 10:35:24 AM   
grafstrb

Red burgundy. The older the better.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 7
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 11:22:13 AM   
DoubleD1969

Not surprised that forumite recs are all over the place!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 8
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 1:02:48 PM   
KPB

I would drink the 2019 Usseglio Mon Aeuil CDP.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 9
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 4:26:27 PM   
Rossodio

I have 4 bottles of 2009 Grand Puy Lacoste that I haven't inventoried yet...

I have 'a bottle of '05 left as well but had a bottle of that last weekend.

I think the '09 fruit fits better. Or some of the other choices presented here. Will think on this tonight and go for it tomorrow with what I choose and report back!

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 7:58:25 PM   
Ibetian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rossodio

I have 4 bottles of 2009 Grand Puy Lacoste that I haven't inventoried yet...

I have 'a bottle of '05 left as well but had a bottle of that last weekend.

I think the '09 fruit fits better. Or some of the other choices presented here. Will think on this tonight and go for it tomorrow with what I choose and report back!

I drank the 2009 GPL a couple of days ago and posted a note. Its drinking very well now. I’d suggest a one-hour decant.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 11
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/22/2023 9:47:28 PM   
ericindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

Red burgundy. The older the better.

this guy gets it. +1.

And if you replace the mushroom duxelles with foie gras pate, even better.

< Message edited by ericindc -- 12/22/2023 9:51:19 PM >

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 12
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/23/2023 7:52:27 AM   
Rossodio

I looked at a recipe with foie gras pate and thought about it... In the end I want to try this one now and may modify in the future.

As for burgs, I have very few (unless you count gamay/cru bojo); a couple of '05 volnays and some 2016+'s: https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?O=Varietal+DESC&ShowFilter=1&Table=List&Region=Burgundy&Type=Red

Will be a gametime decision but open to thoughts on if any of these would seem suitable.

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 13
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/23/2023 9:45:28 AM   
eyewino

'05 Volnay.

Don't overthink this...

-Don

In Vino Veritas

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 14
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/24/2023 7:08:59 AM   
hankj

I don't dislike Burgundy in the least, but strongly prefer Napa Cab with Beef Wellington.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to eyewino)
Post #: 15
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/24/2023 10:33:23 AM   
KPB

For be, Chateauneuf du Pape has always been my first choice. It can be very Burgundian, and the spicy nose you find on Grenache matches really well with the foie gras as well as the beef. The prosciutto shouldn’t change that.

Ken Birman

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 16
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/26/2023 8:06:35 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

For be, Chateauneuf du Pape has always been my first choice. It can be very Burgundian, and the spicy nose you find on Grenache matches really well with the foie gras as well as the beef. The prosciutto shouldn’t change that.

Which CdP are "Burgundian"? Surely not all of them ...

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 17
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/26/2023 9:09:48 AM   
KPB

The Grenache dominated reds can be super ripe, but those vinified with low yields and earlier harvesting can be very similar to less ripe styles of Pinot Noir, to my palate. Marcoux, for example. Fonsalette…. Charvin…

Ken Birman

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 18
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/26/2023 10:21:52 AM   
hankj

Good to know - had no idea some CdP was like Red Burg

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 12/26/2023 5:15:01 PM   
desertwine

I too have done this recipe and I add a foie gras pate to the mushrooms in the duxelles.

My backup plan - drink a wine I know will be good!

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 20
RE: Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!)... - 1/21/2024 11:56:58 AM   
Rossodio

So I went with a 1er Cru Volnay, '05, as suggested here. What a pairing. The beef came out on point and everything paired perfectly. Thank you for the recs! Wish I had a way to post pics here freely and easily...

- Rossodio
USA

(in reply to desertwine)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Tyler Florence Beef Wellington recipe (prosciutto!) - pairing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI