CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Purchases and Budgeting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Purchases and Budgeting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Purchases and Budgeting - 9/13/2009 12:21:15 PM   
Khamen

I hate it when you start to draw up the shortlist for your next round of purchases and always end up wildly over budget but don't want to drop anything from the list. The one I've just done up for September got madly out of hand and ended up at nearly 8 times the budget I set for the month!

Do people generally plan ahead/budget what they're going to buy or just go on impulse when they see something they fancy, or is on offer?

K,
Post #: 1
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/13/2009 1:03:28 PM   
Serge Birbrair

Khamen, from my experience, after I started attending Brown bag tastings on regular basis, I only buy wines which I really liked and enjoyed, mailers and offers have zero influence on me now (as far as reds are concerned).
Not buying anymore on  futures helps too.

tsk....

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 2
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/13/2009 11:17:16 PM   
grafstrb

I almost always go to the store with a shopping list in hand. once at the store, I usually stick to the list and then add a couple more. Once I've done that, i try my best to put 2-3 bottles back on the shelf -- usually ones that the store has ample quantity of (so I know (hope) I can buy some next time I'm in). I've found that if I don't go into the shop with a list, I'll totally screw myself and spend waaay too much.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 3
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 12:57:28 AM   
Paul S

I budget... and then blow my budget most months. Just means that I have to keep tightening the belt in different areas.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 4
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 2:07:20 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

I'm struggling to find things to buy, so basically buy whatever fulfills the criteria - great wine at a great price - not so easy.
L.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 5
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 3:39:00 AM   
pjaines

What is this noun "budget" and verb "budgetting" that you keep referring to?   My brain does not understand these words or concepts.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 6
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 3:45:52 AM   
Serge Birbrair

Colonel, I hear you. I am in the different crisis right now:
I have lots of kick ass wines, ready to be drunk NOW, but almost NONE of daily drinkers. Finding them at reasonable quality is a problem.

tsk....

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 7
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 4:10:24 AM   
khmark7

I usually have a good idea at the beginning of each month of what I would like to purchase (mailing lists & futures), but I also enjoy shopping the retail stores to find a few interesting wines.  This month has been different....no purchases since the beginning of the month, as that was just a few cheap bottles.  I'm not buying anything for awhile, maybe a few months.  Saving up for more important things...

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 8
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 4:56:50 AM   
J2K

I try to budget for the year, that way if a big sale/offer comes up I can spend more in one month then another. Of course, that also means I may spend all my budget before the end of the year, then inevitably go over budget just like everyone else.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 4:59:56 AM   
NiklasW

Budget? After my trips to Languedoc and Piemonte this summer, my budget is shot to hell. I have spent €14.70 on wine this month and that is €14.70 too much! Oh well, I guess the tidal wave (credit card bill) will ebb at some point, then I can generate the next one!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 9:38:20 AM   
jim_crane

i definitely budget, and blow it, reforecast, and blow it, defer my kids college savings, and blow it!  i break down my budget into 3 categories:  cellarworthy, mailing lists and other.  i dedicate more than half to cellarworthy.  i'm on many wine mailers, but only buy from a few for which i have developed a love.  those are generally predictable expenses.  the other is for buying daily drinkers or one-off bottles of wines i might want to add to the cellarworthy bucket but needed to taste first.  at the end of the year, i am always shocked by how much i spent and i promise myself the next year will be better controlled.  it's like that new year's resolution to lose weight.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 11
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/14/2009 4:29:20 PM   
dsGris

I love to shop wines in the store or on line.  I shop mostly on line, impulse buying is usually restricted to vacations and winery visits.  There are just too many wines for me to make a list at this point.  On line I usually fill a shopping kart and often defer the purchase until later, I get the satisfaction of buying but not the bill.  Usually they will not be consumed for some time anyway so immediate gratification is not possible and the cellar is presently full of drink now wines.  I am on the look out for good value cellar worthy wines and the information gained here should be very helpful.  My cellar listing which has been compiled has been very revealing in the quantity and cost over the last six years and does limit the desire to keep buying.  Good whites for my wife are on the program which gets very favorable support when I say "I am mostly buying for you", a few for me of course are always included.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 12
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/15/2009 9:30:56 PM   
mrj300

When I want to keep my spending under control in a wine store, I just bring along my wife. Turn me loose in there alone and who knows what could happen.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 13
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/16/2009 1:41:52 PM   
treetops

It's quite straightforward really. You keep buying until you run out of cash. Then you keep buying as long as you can borrow more money. When that runs out you stop and consider what you might sell to buy that special case of wine you REALLY need. If you've got nothing to sell except your wine cellar, which is completely out of the question, you stop buying. Sit back and enjoy every last drop knowing that you absolutely did do the sensible thing. You might be broke, divorced, homeless whatever but you know there'll always be great friends to share a top notch bottle of wine with.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to mrj300)
Post #: 14
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/16/2009 1:50:52 PM   
gbm

I don't strictly budget myself, but I keep track of my spending on CT every month/quarter (have I ever mentioned how much I love Eric's creation?) and try to keep it within reason.

When I go into a store, I never take a cart or basket.  It limits me to what I can carry (5 bottles is my record, though it was probably a little risky and it's not a record I am trying to break).  I can always dump them on the counter and make return trips through the aisles, but you can only do that so many times before you start to feel silly...and question your impulse purchases.

When I order online, I am completely reckless, though I try to keep it to a charge that I won't mind my wife seeing on the credit card bill.

Greg

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 15
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/16/2009 1:56:49 PM   
mjobtx

I don't budget either but I do buy very selectively.  My problem is finding the wines I want at prices I am willing to pay.  Even WS-Pro is little help when there are only a few vendors.  Those prices tend to be high so I try to steal some wines at auction.  Given the recent competition, that is getting harder to do.

PlanoWino

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 16
RE: Purchases and Budgeting - 9/17/2009 2:23:19 PM   
wadcorp

I don't really budget, either. I will slow down if I'm not expecting a cheque from a client anytime soon & the bank account is low.

I do hold Eric personally responsible for my increased spending on wine.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Purchases and Budgeting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI