CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 9:40:02 AM   
annerk

Full Disclosure, I can't find the thread I started years ago about Daily Drinkers, and have lost all hope of finding it.

That said, it was getting long in the tooth which can affect board performance--thinking Joe Le Taxi, Active Users, and a couple others should maybe be shuttered with Part Deux of each started as well.

Anyhoo, if you had to name your top five picks of cellar defenders under $15 retail (not things you found on bin end for 75% off), what would they be... and why?

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel
Post #: 1
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 9:57:08 AM   
bretrooks

You're probably looking for this erratically-updated thread which I tend to resurrect every few months: https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=34099

For me, over the last year, the bargains we've enjoyed have been:
+ 2011 Bodegas Nekeas Garnacha El Chaparral de Vega Sindoa ~$12 (my wife especially likes grenache, and we think this is pretty good QPR given some air)
+ 2012 NxNW Riesling The Benches ~$6 at TJ's, quite a decent little dry riesling, although I think it's gone now...haven't seen it in ours for a while

If you like your reds on the bigger, somewhat extracted side, you might enjoy this for $12 at BestWinesOnline: 2010 Field Stone Merlot Alexander Valley

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 2
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 10:02:12 AM   
GalvezGuy

If you bump up to $20 I would have more to choose from but for me:

Chateau Puygueraud
E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone
Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot
A long list of Loire Muscadets
Yecla Monastrell

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 10:10:44 AM   
BenNoir

You can often find decent inexpensive wines at Costco. I used to buy the Kirkland brand Russian River PN with regularity (Issaquah Costco).

ben

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 4
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 10:25:35 AM   
Blue Shorts

None. Quite frankly, I can't remember ever enjoying any bottle that was $15 or less, unless we go back 20 years. Any time I serve a "cheap" wine, my wife comments "are you trying to kill me?"

Seriously, I've gotten to the point were I'll only drink cheap wines if there is no choice (party, gathering). Even then, I usually prefer to drink beer as opposed to cheap wine.

I no longer buy "daily drinkers". We prefer to drink less, but of higher quality. The average price of the wines that we drink went from about $20 in 2008 to $50 in 2015.

YMMV
quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

Full Disclosure, I can't find the thread I started years ago about Daily Drinkers, and have lost all hope of finding it.

That said, it was getting long in the tooth which can affect board performance--thinking Joe Le Taxi, Active Users, and a couple others should maybe be shuttered with Part Deux of each started as well.

Anyhoo, if you had to name your top five picks of cellar defenders under $15 retail (not things you found on bin end for 75% off), what would they be... and why?

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 5
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 10:29:11 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

2012 Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells. $13-15. This wine has morphed from a vineyard specific wine (Cab or Merlot from Indian Wells vineyard on Wahluke Slope) to a "brand" from CSM that includes Cab and some Merlot and may include other vineyards.  I had some over the holidays vs. an entry Napa Cab (Kirkland Brand) and there was no comparison, the Indian Wells was pushing 90, the Kirkland Napa was 85- to my palate.

2013 CSM Eroica Riesling.  Under $15 at Costco in Washington, not sure that holds true elsewhere in the marketplace,  but it rocks for what it is, and is well worth the extra change over the other CSM Riesling bottlings. 

2013 Poet's Leap Riesling.  Same as Eroica on price per local Costco, but another heavy hitting WA Reisling at a great price.

2012 Naches Heights Vineyard Crooked Red. $12  This wine will likely never be found by anyone but me though it may be available in Seattle.  But it is a perfect example of a simple blend that is a crowd pleaser.  To me this is a likely indicator for the 2012 Washington vintage, where almost any wine should taste better out of the gate, particularly compared to the 2011 vintage where even the better wines need some time to come around and the cheaper stuff may never get there.   Not sure how agable this or similar wines will be, but that's not really a consideration.

2009-2013 Goat Rocks. $5 I now have about 800 bottles worth of homemade stuff that is in varying stages of aging, consisting of about 13-14 different wines in the pipeline. Most of 2013 is still not really ready to drink, and some is certainly more drinkable than others, but even my first couple of tries making red wine from 2009/2010 are at least becoming suitable for making sauces.   All in these wines cost me between $4-5 per bottle (if I don't depreciate some of my equipment and my "winery") and that includes buying decent bottles and high quality corks which are ~$1.75 of the production cost.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 1/30/2015 10:32:46 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 6
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 10:55:08 AM   
Yossarian

I'm going all Italian these days with Rosso di Montalcino and the usual splatter of Cotes du Rhone for deeper reds and various Gaillac reds. I've rediscovered how great the south west of France can be,

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 11:05:36 AM   
BobMilton

My two votes are Tapiz Malbec (a good solid everyday drinker, usually under $10 at the 5 cent sale), and Minassian-Young Beyond the Pale (a Paso blend only available at the Albertson's in Paso, usually $8 or $9). Neither is fabulous, but both are good solid wines at a low price.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 8
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 11:29:12 AM   
Ibetian

quote:

I was thinking the same thing about creating a 2.0 version of the longer threads like Active Users. I suppose if there is support we can just do it?

For daily drinkers, I don't drink every day and I have plenty of good wine I bought years ago at good prices. That said, I bought 2+ cases of the 2010 San Felice Chianti Classico for $13 and have enjoyed them a lot with Italian food. Drinks far above its price, IMO. For whites, there are plenty of Muscadet wines in the $15 vicinity.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 9
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 11:47:26 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

Any time I serve a "cheap" wine, my wife comments "are you trying to kill me?"

This.

My wife gets distressed at my buying wine sometimes, but she never wants to have a mediocre bottle.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 10
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 12:55:28 PM   
mjobtx

I went overboard and picked 7 cellar defenders all costing $15 or less at regular prices. All but the La Atalaya and the Gruet were purchased at Costco. As you can see, in the under $15 category Spanish wines make up most of my cellar defenders.

2012 Domaine Laurent Gauthier Morgon Grands Cras Vieilles Vignes
2011 Vinessens Alicante Sein, Mourvedre Blend
2010 Palacios Remondo Rioja La Montesa, Garnacha Blend
2009 Bodegas Atalaya La Atalaya, Garnacha Blend
2007 Viña Herminia Rioja Excelsus, Tempranillo
2009 Viña Herminia Rioja Excelsus, Tempranillo
NV Gruet Champagne Rosé

Why is a hard question to answer but for the most part it is because they go very well with a wide variety of foods. I do have white wine cellar defenders too but none of them cost $15 or less.

< Message edited by mjobtx -- 1/30/2015 12:58:57 PM >

PlanoWino

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 11
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 1:11:16 PM   
annerk

Would love to have opinions on whites as well!

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 12
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 1:27:00 PM   
Yossarian

Being a bit of a French-Italian-centric drinker I would say Muscadet! Or pick any racy (you like that word, Anne) white from the Loire valley,. Great value anywhere up and down the Loire valley. Southern Italian whites (Greco di Tufo, Falanghina) as well.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 13
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 1:50:55 PM   
S1

quote:

Would love to have opinions on whites as well!

Italians
esp Fiano

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 14
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 1:54:30 PM   
mjobtx

annerk, white cellar defenders - None under $15 in my area. These were all between $21 - $28.

Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy Sancerre Cuvée Les Coûtes
Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montmains
Cellars 33 Chardonnay Keefer Ranch Vineyard
Cellars 33 Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard
Jean-Paul Picard Sancerre Cuvée Prestige
Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg

Probably like a lot of others, I have a host of cellar defenders priced above the price points set in the original message.

PlanoWino

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 15
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 2:01:30 PM   
mjobtx

S1 got me thinking. The cellar defenders I listed both red and white are wines still in my cellar doing their jobs of defending. When I looked back at my consumed wines, I found several whites that I do buy regularly but just didn't have on hand.

Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc Sonoma County
Familia Zuccardi Torrontés Santa Julia Tardío
Terredora di Paolo Falanghina Irpinia
d'Arenberg The Hermit Crab
Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Riesling Eroica
Cave des Vins de Sancerre Sancerre Les Rochettes Tête de Cuvée
Terredora di Paolo Greco di Tufo Loggia della Serra
Cantine dei Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta Roero Arneis

All under $20. If I had enough money and enough cellar space they would be in my cellar now.

PlanoWino

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 16
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 2:06:32 PM   
mjobtx

Looking at my consumption of reds in the same way, these are additional cellar defenders. Glad everyone is posting. Gives me ideas about what I should be considering.

Château de Grezels Cahors Prestige
Château Peugeai
Mongeard-Mugneret Bourgogne
Bodegas Filon Real Calatayud
Domaine Puydeval Vin de Pays d'Oc
Prieuré de Cénac Cahors

Time to stop. The list is too long. These wines were all <$10 at Costco.

PlanoWino

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 17
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 2:14:35 PM   
f22nickell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

None. Quite frankly, I can't remember ever enjoying any bottle that was $15 or less, unless we go back 20 years. Any time I serve a "cheap" wine, my wife comments "are you trying to kill me?"

Seriously, I've gotten to the point were I'll only drink cheap wines if there is no choice (party, gathering). Even then, I usually prefer to drink beer as opposed to cheap wine.

I no longer buy "daily drinkers". We prefer to drink less, but of higher quality. The average price of the wines that we drink went from about $20 in 2008 to $50 in 2015.

YMMV
quote:

THIS ... although my average price is ~$40-$45/bottle.

< Message edited by f22nickell -- 1/30/2015 2:15:04 PM >

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 18
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 2:14:55 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjobtx

S1 got me thinking. The cellar defenders I listed both red and white are wines still in my cellar doing their jobs of defending. When I looked back at my consumed wines, I found several whites that I do buy regularly but just didn't have on hand.

All under $20. If I had enough money and enough cellar space they would be in my cellar now.

Terredora di Paolo Fiano di Avellino Terre di Dora

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 19
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 2:51:01 PM   
mtpisgah

Our three biggest are Guigal CdR white, red and rose. They are simple but good. I have found the NXNW red blend to be pretty tasty too. Bookwalter Notebook is also enjoyable. I need to try some of the above mentioned wines when I find them.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 20
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 2:59:07 PM   
Stirling

Since we get hosed on wine prices up here in the great white North, I will ignore the $15 cap and tell you may favourite value go-to wines:

Sabor Real Vina Centenaires
Montes Hienestra
Ch. Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot
Enkidu Humbaba
Pfaffenheim Riesling

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 21
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 3:08:06 PM   
neruda11

Looking at consumed history, these four seemed to be the everyday go-to's:

Di Majo Norante Biferno Ramitello
Leone de Castris Salice Salentino Riserva
Tasca D'Almerita Nero d'Avola Sicilia Lamùri
Bodegas Juan Gil Monastrell Jumilla (Silver Label)

Definitely taking notes on the other suggestions! Great thread idea!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 22
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 3:11:41 PM   
Sourdough

quote:

I went overboard and picked 7 cellar defenders all costing $15 or less at regular prices. All but the La Atalaya and the Gruet were purchased at Costco. As you can see, in the under $15 category Spanish wines make up most of my cellar defenders.

2012 Domaine Laurent Gauthier Morgon Grands Cras Vieilles Vignes
2011 Vinessens Alicante Sein, Mourvedre Blend
2010 Palacios Remondo Rioja La Montesa, Garnacha Blend
2009 Bodegas Atalaya La Atalaya, Garnacha Blend
2007 Viña Herminia Rioja Excelsus, Tempranillo
2009 Viña Herminia Rioja Excelsus, Tempranillo
NV Gruet Champagne Rosé

Why is a hard question to answer but for the most part it is because they go very well with a wide variety of foods. I do have white wine cellar defenders too but none of them cost $15 or less.

Great list mjobtx!

My key cellar defenders are

Chateau Croix Mouton - I buy a case or two or more every year as futures. Always good and sometimes very good at a modest price.
2011 Bodegas Volver La Mancha Volver - this has been my go to cheaper steak wine for the past year.
2012 Casa Gran del Siurana Priorat GR-174 - has been a go to over the past year for Mediterranean food)
NZ Sauvignon Blanc (there are a number I buy depending on what is available - mainly Nobilo or Kim Crawford)

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 23
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 3:42:31 PM   
kingkanu

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

Our three biggest are Guigal CdR white, red and rose. They are simple but good. I have found the NXNW red blend to be pretty tasty too. Bookwalter Notebook is also enjoyable. I need to try some of the above mentioned wines when I find them.

We are with you on this

We also love this dolcetto Once it's 18months+ old. Clavesana Dogliani and is a total steal at £7.50

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 24
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 3:45:09 PM   
Yossarian

quote:

THESE. Excellent recommendations.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 25
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 3:46:43 PM   
Yossarian

I would also add (although not sure how available they are in the US) The Wolftrapp from South Africa. From Boukenhootskloof who make amazing wines.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 26
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 4:37:58 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. I buy that one too. The list just got too long. Buy pretty much their entire white lineup from an Italian specialty food store in Dallas that also has a great Italian wine selection.

PlanoWino

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 27
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 4:39:57 PM   
mjobtx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

I would also add (although not sure how available they are in the US) The Wolftrapp from South Africa. From Boukenhootskloof who make amazing wines.

I would love any other recommendations you might have for South African wines. We are headed to Cape Town later this year and I know nothing about South African wines except that I have never had a Pinotage that I enjoyed. My interest would be in the other varietals they produce.

PlanoWino

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 28
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 4:58:58 PM   
Yossarian

Well, I live in Cape Town for a year so send me a PM - but basically.....any red wine!

They are mostly brilliant. Cab/Merlot blends are excellent - and Hamilton Russell for Pinot.

And avoid Pinotage.,

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 29
RE: Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks - 1/30/2015 5:11:05 PM   
DoubleD1969

What Blue Shorts said - none that I have purchased. I have a couple from gifts or for sentiment.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cellar Defenders -- Your Picks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI