CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Lets talk Loire Cab Franc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Lets talk Loire Cab Franc Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/5/2017 7:07:40 PM   
ericindc

So, whats everyone's fav, and general thoughts?

My favs's are:

Olga Raffault - fav is the Picasses - seems best after 15 yrs
Baudry - fantastic young, never had an older bottle
Couly-Dutheil - older bottlings are great.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.
Post #: 1
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/5/2017 7:26:48 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericindc

So, whats everyone's fav, and general thoughts?

My favs's are:

Olga Raffault - fav is the Picasses - seems best after 15 yrs
Baudry - fantastic young, never had an older bottle
Couly-Dutheil - older bottlings are great.

I agree! To the extent that I don't have much to add...except, that someone should expound upon Saumur-Champigny. Oh, and older Baudry may be your new Fav when you have one....

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 2
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/5/2017 7:41:25 PM   
CranBurgundy

Hold on a minute.... are you saying there's more than just Chenin Blanc in the Loire valley?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/5/2017 8:28:39 PM   
fingers

I should really sell off 20 or 30 bottles from current holdings and buy 40 or 50 bottles of Olga and Baudry

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 4
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/5/2017 10:23:48 PM   
PinotPhile

That's it. Beaudry going on my watch list. Fascinating grape, Cab Franc. Never had Beaudry, or any but the most basic Loire Francs.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 5
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/5/2017 11:45:17 PM   
bretrooks

While I've had a couple of unpleasantly green ones, I've liked far more bottles than I've not liked. We went through a little bit of a Saumur kick a couple of years ago, generally sticking to mid-priced bottles from warmer vintages, but I haven't searched any out lately.

Favorites have been a couple of Baudrys, a Joguet, and some well-priced Hureau Tuffe Saumurs.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 6
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 12:04:33 AM   
forceberry

Baudry is definitely among the great ones, agreed. The top-tier bottlings of Couly-Dutheil are also really impressive, especially after 20-25 years or more.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 7
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 5:16:31 AM   
pclin

Clos Rougeard, too bad I got into the party late.

Also love Yannick Amirault and Domaine de la Butte.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 8
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 7:21:33 AM   
Chip Merlot

I haven't had a ton of these, but my impression from what I've had (including a few bottles of the Ruffault) is that you gotta love acid to like these wines.

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 9
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 7:55:14 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chip Merlot

I haven't had a ton of these, but my impression from what I've had (including a few bottles of the Ruffault) is that you gotta love acid to like these wines.

I see a thread diversion coming up.......

Maybe a Ken Kesey Memorial Electric Chinon offline at Musedir's house? (or in a field of wildflowers.....) I'll bring the Arlo Guthrie records.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 10/6/2017 9:10:15 AM >

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 10
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 9:05:12 AM   
hankj

According to the owner of a geekishly dialed in Chinon wine shop, there are over 100 well-worthy organic estate wines in Chinon. Given that, it doesn't surprise me that I buy Chinon almost never by selecting favorite labels but rather by picking up a bottle that comes from an importer with good taste, trying it, then going back for a half-case or more if I like it.

That said, outside of the prominent labels already mentioned, Domaine Pallus makes excellent wines - bio, estate vinyard, winemaker from Ribera (which translates really nicely to terroir driven Chinon. Pink label, try one if you see it.

< Message edited by hankj -- 10/6/2017 10:27:54 AM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 11
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 9:07:24 AM   
Eddie

I have a 2012 Domaine de Pallus Chinon Les Pensées de Pallus hiding somewhere in my racks. Think it's ready yet?

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 12
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 10:23:08 AM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

I have a 2012 Domaine de Pallus Chinon Les Pensées de Pallus hiding somewhere in my racks. Think it's ready yet?

I'd think so - the '11 drank great 2-3 years ago, had stuffing to hang in there too.

I haven't seen the '12 in the Seattle market - '11 still on the shelf until very recently. If you drink the '12 would be interested in your impression .. '11 driven by loam and mineral, crunchy red fruit, violets, an elegant wine from a less dense vintage. The '12 should be more masculine ...

< Message edited by hankj -- 10/6/2017 10:30:59 AM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 13
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 2:13:48 PM   
S1

And for a really special occasion (like a chilly Tuesday evening date night), Rougeard.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 14
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 2:23:38 PM   
Yossarian

Loire Cab Franc - especially Chinon - is stupidly good value. In London you can easily pick up bottles from the 70s and 80s in restaurants for little money, providing you know where to look.

I purchased last year some 93 and 96 Chinon from a well known UK-wide distributer for £14 (about $20).

Clos Rougeard, as S1 said above, is insanely good. That is the DRC of the Loire. If you ever get the chance to taste some (especially the Le Bourg) then do so, irrespective of the price. It is the equivalent of a top top Burg or Bdx at a fraction of the price.

I think Loire Cab Franc is pretty much a wine geeks kind of wine though - there is a certain maturity to the palate needed I think to appreciate what you get with them

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 15
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 2:25:14 PM   
Yossarian

Plus.....I'd just like to add.....it was a thread of this forum maybe 6-7 years ago about Cab Franc that got me into these wines. You are just all enablers......

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 16
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 2:33:37 PM   
KPB

My favorites have all been mentioned above.

What I would find harder would be to pin down the terroir characteristics associated with growing Cabernet Franc under different conditions. In the Loire you often find a meatier style of CF, a bit heavier, with a distinctive aroma and flavor that can seem metallic (copper) or yeasty, but more often than not, you get that slightly metallic thing. It works well for that grape, and I seek this out. I think these tend to be vines growing in slightly richer soil, and with access to a fair amount of subsoil moisture.

In warmer drier conditions and sandier soils, you see a more perfumed and lighter rendition of CF that can be so fragrant that it will sometimes almost smell like the potpourri blends my grandmother used to keep in bathrooms. Not my favorite style. Common in Napa or Sonoma.

Cheval Blanc is a blend but CF dominated, in clay. I haven’t had it enough, or from good enough bottles, to understand the mythic stature of that particular wine.

And then I have had blends where the CF was so muted next to the other grapes that honestly, CF didn’t belong on the label. In Israel I saw this a fair amount.

I guess this wide range of variation isn’t unusual for grape varietals, but I do find that the Loire version seems to aim for a style I like much more.

< Message edited by KPB -- 10/6/2017 2:34:25 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 17
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 2:38:51 PM   
KPB

Oh, this reminds me to add Plouzeau Chinon to the list, especially the “Ante Phyloxera” bottling, which is from a single vine, but massive, filling a whole courtyard, and so old that nobody knows when it was planted. Probably 400 years old...

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 18
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 2:40:00 PM   
Yossarian

Ken - I think also the warmer climates are not kind to Cab Franc - although of course that is my personal taste. I quite like the lean, coppery (stealing your phrase) tang to the Loire wines. I've had Cab Franc from Argentina, and they have been decent but more generic.

The Loire valley is pretty much "north of the wall" when it comes to growing wine, and it comes with that mouth puckering tang that I love. Hot places? Meh. Anyone can grow ripe booze. Give me wines that cut through the duck fat.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 3:05:42 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

Le Bourg

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 20
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 3:08:08 PM   
Eddie

While we're on this subject, I'll have to note that the best Rose I've ever tasted, by a wide, wide, WIDE margin, was called Bourgueil Avis de Vin Fort Clairet, by Catherine and Pierre Breton. It's on the dark end of the Rose spectrum, almost a light red, and it's absolutely delicious. It isn't made in every vintage, and even when it is made, production is very small, so it's almost a "holy grail" find.....but if you ever see it anywhere, buy every bottle. Seriously.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 21
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 3:10:53 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

While we're on this subject, I'll have to note that the best Rose I've ever tasted, by a wide, wide, WIDE margin, was called Bourgueil Avis de Vin Fort Clairet, by Catherine and Pierre Breton. It's on the dark end of the Rose spectrum, almost a light red, and it's absolutely delicious. It isn't made in every vintage, and even when it is made, production is very small, so it's almost a "holy grail" find.....but if you ever see it anywhere, buy every bottle. Seriously.

Resistance is Futile.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 22
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/6/2017 11:28:31 PM   
pclin

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Cheval Blanc is a blend but CF dominated, in clay. I haven’t had it enough, or from good enough bottles, to understand the mythic stature of that particular wine.

Get a bottle of '85 CB.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 23
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/7/2017 2:52:07 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

While I've had a couple of unpleasantly green ones, I've liked far more bottles than I've not liked. We went through a little bit of a Saumur kick a couple of years ago, generally sticking to mid-priced bottles from warmer vintages, but I haven't searched any out lately.

Favorites have been a couple of Baudrys, a Joguet, and some well-priced Hureau Tuffe Saumurs.

Love the unpleasant green ones!! Honestly, they often have great character in the leaner vintages and so much individuality.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 24
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/7/2017 2:53:58 PM   
khmark7

quote:

Cab Franc Rose is stellar stuff. Most of mine is purchased from the NY Finger Lakes or from Michigan where they make loads of the stuff. Rarely see any from the Loire.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 25
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/7/2017 2:57:16 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yossarian

Plus.....I'd just like to add.....it was a thread of this forum maybe 6-7 years ago about Cab Franc that got me into these wines. You are just all enablers......

Yes, some loser called pjaines started that thread i believe. Think he died from liver failure?

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 26
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/8/2017 2:03:55 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Love the unpleasant green ones!! Honestly, they often have great character in the leaner vintages and so much individuality.

Same here! Although some of the most impressive CFs can be phenomenal in warmer vintages, I definitely prefer those more vegetal wines from the cooler vintages. They definitely show so much individuality, whereas the great majority of the wines tend to go into pretty uniform stylistic direction with warmer vintages.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 27
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/8/2017 4:34:01 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

I'd say I'm medium-sensitive to green characteristics...I can enjoy them (or at least tolerate them) up to a point, but beyond that point, they definitely become a negative for me. The jalapeno type of green character that hot-climate cab franc sometimes gets is a definite turn-off.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 28
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/8/2017 5:52:15 PM   
ericindc

So its interesting, there are different types of green in wine. I like the sharper, jalepeno and bell/green pepper type. I only say this because I had a natural wine that was very asparagus-like last week at a tasting. It was rather horrid.

< Message edited by ericindc -- 10/8/2017 5:56:25 PM >

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 29
RE: Lets talk Loire Cab Franc - 10/8/2017 5:55:02 PM   
CranBurgundy

Wine is made from grapes, and grapes are not green, therefore there should not be any green flavors in wine.

...... oh, wait a ..... ...........um..................... never mind.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Lets talk Loire Cab Franc Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI