CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

South Africa - Winery recommendations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> South Africa - Winery recommendations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/28/2023 7:29:47 AM   
davo22

We will be in South Africa in late January/early February next year. I have a short list of wineries that I want to get to, but looking for any recommendations people here who have been there might have. Preference is for the smaller family operations and not the big corporate producers, and places that offer an experience beyond a scripted tasting. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/28/2023 8:43:51 PM   
Franklin 10

I have visited/tasted in Stellenbosch in a limited fashion, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley a bit more, and Franschhoek more extensively. There are great experiences and great values in these wine regions imho.

Do you know yet where you will focus? Also, I like your emphasis on finding smaller producers, what style(s) of wines are you looking for (in broad terms: white v red, old world style v new, other ways to describe your interests)?

-Franklin

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 2
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/28/2023 8:48:29 PM   
Franklin 10

Error

< Message edited by Franklin 10 -- 9/28/2023 8:49:43 PM >

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 3
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/29/2023 8:35:18 AM   
davo22

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin 10

I have visited/tasted in Stellenbosch in a limited fashion, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley a bit more, and Franschhoek more extensively. There are great experiences and great values in these wine regions imho.

Do you know yet where you will focus? Also, I like your emphasis on finding smaller producers, what style(s) of wines are you looking for (in broad terms: white v red, old world style v new, other ways to describe your interests)?

-Franklin

We are working through our trip itinerary at the moment. All we have locked in for sure is that we fly into Cape Town and will spend about 2 weeks in the vicinity of the Cape (with a rental car once we leave the city), and then take the train up to Johannesburg, visit Kruger for a couple of days and then fly out of J'burg. I have small producers I really like on my list in the Swartland, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek and plan to visit them. I have a pretty broad wine interest and we do get a fair amount of really good South African wine here, so I'm pretty familiar with the styles. Love the Chenin Blancs, and have had some excellent Pinots, Chards, Syrahs and bold red blends. A few good Pinotage. So net out pretty open minded and when we visit new wine regions we're looking for the local character, not necessarily what's at the top of our preferred list.

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 4
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/29/2023 9:34:47 PM   
rwilk_2000

Vilafonte
Warwick
Kanonkop
Mullineaux
Lanzerac

It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 5
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/30/2023 3:26:01 AM   
Sir LaL

If I was going back to SA there is a lot of wine areas I would like tovisit. I have mentioned some of the wineries on my list below.

You write about Swartland, and seem to have that planned out. One of my stops in Swartland would be David and Nadia, great producers from bottom range to topshelve and the prices has not, yet, risen to the extraordinary - even though they have risen a lot.

In Stellenbosch I agree rwilk_2000 that Kanonkop must be worth a visit, even though a lot of tourists do this, and it is a big (but excellent) producer . I would also pay a visit to Le Riche (cabernet sauvignon - their reserve 2020 has just received 99 Atkins point) and Eikendal.

If you are going through Durbanville I would visit Nitida and De Grendel.

A must place to go is Frenchhoek, and a must visit is Mullineux (again I agree with rwilk_2000). Mullineux/Leeu has some excellent visiting fascilities - remember to make a booking in advance. Otherwise I would spend a day or 2 in Frenchoek and just walk around visit the one winery after the other. It is beautiful place and if you are in to hiking that is possibility too.

I would also like to go to Hemel-en-Aarde and visit Wessels family/Restless River and Hamilton Russell among others.

Of course there are a lot of other places to go but this is some of my recommendations or places I would go visit if in SA again.

It is a awesome country a lot of friendly people and beautiful scenery - enjoy.

If you have the time I would also recommend a visit to Namibia :-).

Best regards
Lars Lundgaard

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 6
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/30/2023 7:19:30 AM   
Pontac

1) Get Platter - the 2023 is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Platters-South-African-Wine-Guide/dp/1776402448 . When you land in CPT get the 2024 Platter
2) Get What 3 Words app https://what3words.com - although Platter has maps of winery locations, some wineries can be hard to find - Platter also gives their What3words co-ordinates
3) Read Platter and focus on what your priorities are. You have very limited time there and you don't want to spend a lot of time driving from winery to winery, e.g. the excellent Hamilton Russell has been recommended. They were the pioneer of the Hemel en Aarde Valley, but if you're not interested in Pinot Noir & Chardonnay then don't bother. Also they're a two hour drive from Capetown.

Many more cars on roads, lower speed limits, more traffic lights (named robots locally) and hidden speed cameras make journeys take much longer than they used to.

(in reply to Sir LaL)
Post #: 7
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/30/2023 9:05:32 AM   
jcosindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwilk_2000

Vilafonte
Warwick
Kanonkop
Mullineaux
Lanzerac

I wholeheartedly concur with rwilk@2000 regarding Lanzerac; excellent Pinotage, especially the Pioneer Pinotage.

Cos

(in reply to rwilk_2000)
Post #: 8
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/30/2023 9:57:31 AM   
Pontac

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcosindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwilk_2000

Vilafonte
Warwick
Kanonkop
Mullineaux
Lanzerac

I wholeheartedly concur with rwilk@2000 regarding Lanzerac; excellent Pinotage, especially the Pioneer Pinotage.

Did they tell you they were the first to make Pinotage, by chance?

(in reply to jcosindc)
Post #: 9
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 9/30/2023 3:20:38 PM   
Slye

Lots of good suggestions above and I hesitate to add much as it has been a while since I have been. But one. Or mentioned that I continue to enjoy is Cape Point. You can combine a drive around the beautiful point south of Cape Town. They make really fantastic white wines. Semillon. Sauv blanc. A lovely blend called Isliedh. Not sure if they do Chenin. And to repeat I have not been in a while!

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 10
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/1/2023 9:26:56 AM   
jcosindc

Did they tell you they were the first to make Pinotage, by chance?
[/quote]

I did an online S. African wine tasting during Covid shutdowns and became a fan of Lanzerac. Yes, during the tasting, we were informed they were the first to produce Pinotage. My friend, John, who set up the tasting from DC, has always told me that many Pinotage wines are just okay and for a really good one, such as the Pioneer Pinotage, one should expect to pay a little more. He's been right thus far.

Cos

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 11
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/1/2023 10:01:15 AM   
Pontac

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcosindc
quote:

Yes, during the tasting, we were informed they were the first to produce Pinotage.

The first commercially available Pinotage was sold by Stellenbosch Farmers Winery (SFW) under SFWs Lanzerac brand name, but it had nothing to do with the current winery called Lanzerac who only planted Pinotage recently, (well recent to me, but about 20 years ago). Unfortunately Lanzerac trades on the name. They are not the only RSA winery to have an elastic view of history.

(in reply to jcosindc)
Post #: 12
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/1/2023 10:02:27 AM   
Pontac

There are many super wines made in RSA. But like all ‘new world’ countries, they are made from European varieties or the off-spring of European varieties.

RSA makes – for example-great Cabernet, Syrah, Sauvignon and Chardonnay; but so do many other countries.

Special to RSA are Chenin Blanc and Pinotage.

Chenin was first planted in 1656 and has many clones that have developed as a result of time and terroir to such an extent that, because of an early naming error, it wasn’t finally identified as Chenin until 1965. Chenin’s home is in the Loire, France but more Chenin is planted in RSA than France and the rest of the world put together.

Pinotage is a vinifera variety that came about as the result of a 1924 crossing of two European varieties. Although it’s grown elsewhere in small amounts, RSA is where to find Pinotage.

You’ll find many wineries making excellent examples of both, but can I suggest the following:

First Pinotage. These wineries are close together, and about an hour’s drive from Cape Town

Imagine a triangle with the point at the bottom. The top is horizontal extending to the left. These are 3 roads, the point is Stellenbosch. The right upright is the R44, the left R304, the horizontal M23

Wineries to visit in order (1-4 are about 15 minutes by car froM furthest to furthest0

1) Kanonkop Estate – called by many South Africa’s First Growth.
Family owned: currently by the brothers Paul & Johan Krige, fourth generation
Tour: self guided, walkway over open fermenting tanks. Depending on when the vintage is you may see the grapes arriving, optically sorted or in the fermenting tanks. Check the tanks at the far end for robot feet, made especially for Kanonkop after a visit to the Douro Valley in Portugal by winemaker Abrie Beeslaar.
Estates can only make wine from their own vineyards, so to meet increased demand there’s a second label ‘Kadette’ which uses grape from contracted vineyards. Estate wines have their caps pushed down manually every 2 hours over the 3 or so days of fermentation. The robot feet are for Kadette. Note the labels of Kanonkop Kadette – the word Estate doesn’t appear.
Tasting: Kanonkop only grow black grapes, Pinotage, Cabernet S&F & Merlot and make Pinotage and Cab varietals and a Bordeaux Blend, plus their most expensive wine, the ‘Black Label’ Pinotage from their oldest Pinotage, bush vines planted in the 50s. Under the Kadette label they produce a Pinotage and Cab varietal, a Cape Blend (Pinotage/Cab S /Merlot/Cab Franc) and a dry Pinotage rosé.
Every year Kanonkop release a 10 year old Estate Pinotage, so the 2014 should be available for tasting when you go.
Find Kanonkop on the R44 just above the M23, on the right if you’re driving from Stellenbosch.

2) Beyerskloof – bills itself as ‘The Home of Pinotage’
Family Owned: by Beyers Truter who founded the winery while working as the winemaker at Kanonkop. He has taken a backward step, his son Anrie does the day-to-day winemaking.
Tour: none unless you ask nicely. Best way is to have lunch in the Bistro, ask Beyers when he walks through and talks to diners.
Beyerskloof are the largest Pinotage producers with their White Label. This is made in a tank with staves. The black-labelled Reserve is fermented in open tanks and barrel aged. The Winemakers Reserve is a barrel selection of the finest barrels. The top one is called Diesel with a pencil drawing of Beyers faithful dog, grapes from an old vineyard.
Many other iterations of Pinotage; single vineyard bottlings like Kriekbult, and blends, including an unusual Pinotage/Chenin blend. Some only available at winery.
One can also buy old vintages at tasting room, and if dining they’ll be served at no extra charge.
Beyers Truter made his name and that of Kanonkop when he was winemaker at Kanonkop. He introduced barrel aging for Pinotage, won international prizes for them and for himself. He chose Abrie Beeslaar as his successor at Kanonkop. Beyers founded and is chair of the producers Pinotage Association which runs an annual competition for the best Pinotage.
Find Beyerskloof on R303, on left of coming from Stellenbosch. If coming from Kanonkop, turn left onto R44, take next right onto M23 (you’ll pass Simonsig on right who make an excellent varietal Pinotage ‘Redhill’ from the red soil vineyard behind the winery, and a first rate Cape Blend. They were the first to make a methode-champenoise sparkler in RSA. Family owned by the Malan family) at crossroads turn left onto the R304, Beyerskloof is a short way on the right.

3) Bellevue Estate – have one of the oldest Pinotage vineyards which they bottle as 1953, the year it was planted.
Bellevue made the first commercially available Pinotage but, as was the custom of those days, it was sold to their co-operative the Stellenbosch Farmers Winery (SFW) who bottled the 1959 vintage and released it in 1961 under their Lanzerac brand name.
Family owned: by the Morkel Family. Dirkie Morkel is viticulturist.
Find Bellevue on M23. From Beyerskloof turn left onto R303, at traffic lights turn left onto M23, Bellevue is on right

4) Kaapzicht Estate. Some superb wines coming from this very uncommercial winery
Family Owned: by the Steytler Family. 4th generation Danie Steyler is winemaker. Top wines are bottled under Steytler label; they include a Pinotage varietal and a Cape Blend. I like their Rooiland Pinotage. Kaapzicht have the second oldest Chenin vineyard, planted in1947 as bushvines; bottled as 1947.

5) Harder to find is DeWaal, home of the oldest surviving Pinotage vineyard planted in 1950.
Family Owned: by Pieter de Waal. Pieter is frequently behind the tasting counter at this quiet winery
Ancestor C T De Waal made the first Pinotage as a lecturer at Elsenburg Agricultural College in 1942,
Makes Pinotage, in order from least expensive, Pinotage, C T DeWaal, Top of the Hill which comes from the old vineyard, named Top of the Hill.
Check the winery website because a few months of the year Pieter leads a walk up through his vineyards, telling the history, to The Top of The Hill where he opens a bottle of that wine. If it happens when you are there, do book.
Tasting room overlooks winery.
Find De Waal on the M14; go down R304 and turn right onto R44 to Stellenbosch and turn right at (I think) 3rd traffic lights. If you come to crossing lights closely followed by lights at Dorp St turn right and at end turn left onto M14. Lok for flags and fountain on right at entrance to Neethlingshof Estate and take next right. Go up this country road, De Waal is at end.

Gosh, this has taken ages. Got to make dinner, Chenin next time

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 13
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/1/2023 10:19:20 AM   
fingers

Excellent post, Pontac.

I have enjoyed the Kanonkop, Beyerskloof, and Bellevue Pinotages, which always made me wonder why the variety often gets panned. Key is, drink the good ones

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 14
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/1/2023 4:10:31 PM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pontac
There are many super wines made in RSA. But like all ‘new world’ countries, they are made from European varieties or the off-spring of European varieties.

RSA makes – for example-great Cabernet, Syrah, Sauvignon and Chardonnay; but so do many other countries.

Special to RSA are Chenin Blanc and Pinotage.

I find quite a few other things also to be special to SA. And it is part of what has attracted me to making a a quarter of my cellar from SA, and a higher proportion of my recent consumption. Clearly Chenin is very different from French chenin. So the fact that something is substantially grown elsewhere doesn't mean it can't be distinctively SA too. In general I don't like pinotage, but maybe I never dared to spend enough money on one to try a good one.

First, it does seem that white wine is, overall, a bit more successful than red in international markets. It is a point often made by Tim Atkins, the leading SA wine critic. So I'll start with the whites.

To me, one of the great and distinctive things in SA white wine is the blends. The grapes all come from other places, but no one else makes blends like these. The wine I'm drinking this evening is a blend of Roussanne, Grenache Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Verdelho and Grenache Gris. It couldn't come from anywhere but SA. This particular one is a mid-price wine called Smaug the Magnificent made by BLANKBottle, who are a very interesting producer of small-volume mid-price wines. But wine-making aristocracy also make wines like this too. For example Sadie Family Palladius is Chenin Blanc, Grenache Blanc, Clairette Blanche, Viognier, Verdelho, Roussanne, Marsanne, Semillon Gris, Semillon Blanc & Palomino, Colombard. Again many of the varieties are Rhone varieties, but some of them aren't, and here chenin is the largest component, which is not uncommon. So there is often something reminiscent of white Rhone in these blends, but in general it's own very diverse and distinctive thing. And often these mixes are a bit cheaper than varietals of similar quality.

Semillon. Like SA chenin, I think SA semillons are distinctive enough from other people's semillons, and special enough, to draw particular attention to. The big divide here is from Australian semillon. SA semillons are often riper and quite textural wines, or add texture to a blend. A rarity is Semillon Gris, a pink to light red sport of Semillon that is now pretty much extinct in Bordeaux, but a bit survives in South Africa. Thorne & Daughters' Tin Soldier is a noted example of Semillon Gris.

Roussanne. I wouldn't say SA roussannes are so very different from French ones, when you do find a French single varietal, but they are much more commonly made, and a lot cheaper, than French ones. There's quite a lot of roussanne in SA. So if like me you are a roussanne-lover, you can indulge your love much more easily and diversely in S Africa. Beaucastel's Cuvée Roussanne is one of the most expensive wines in the southern Rhone, but stands apart as a very rare thing in the S Rhone. I think Roussanne is often thought difficult in France, which may explains its general relatively sparing use in blends in the south, and although a larger component of the N rhone white vineyard, often blended with marsanne. And N rhone whites are often very expensive.

Syrah. It's an increasingly common claim that syrah is the most successful red grape for high quality red wine in South Africa, albeit some of the leading reds are made with other things. More than the other "international" red varietals, I think SA syrah has established its own distinctive range of styles, and they tend to the more elegant and perfumed mould. Maybe not quite as distinctive as SA chenin. But it's the red grape that most excites me from SAf, especially now that elegant-style NRhone syrahs - and indeed the quality Australians I used to drink - are so unaffordable.

Cinsault. Proper red wines from cinsault are quite a distinctively SA thing. In France, there's a lot of cinsault, but it mostly goes into pink wines and as a small component of red blends. The SA varietals are pale-coloured, fragrant but structured. They have some of the qualities of pinot noir and Etna wines, while being very much their own thing. I was a bit surprised the first time I had one, but it only took a few bottles to win me over. I have seen claims that SA varietal grenache noirs are distinctive, but I haven't had one, so I can't say. Too many wines, not enough money, not enough drinking capacity.

Sweet wines. Not so long ago, there was a lot of sweet wine, much less today. But there are some special and distinctive things like Klein Constantia.

Most of the SA wine I buy, as I said, because it is its own distinctive thing, as well as being very good value. But additionally I buy a fair bit of SA Chardonnay and Pinot Noir not because they are distinctively SA, but because I like Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and the QPR is very good. I also buy a fair bit of these two varieties from NZ, which has similar QPR and some comparability of style.

(in reply to Pontac)
Post #: 15
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/1/2023 5:13:07 PM   
fingers

Thank you for that post also, Ivan. This thread has turned into a lovely path of enlightenment.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 16
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/2/2023 10:43:21 AM   
MB1991

My favorites in SA were La Motte in Franschhoek (had a great experience there, enjoyed their wine), and Uva Mira in Stellenbosch (unbelievable views and a great cab). De Toren is hard to beat from a wine perspective though I did not make it to their winery.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 17
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/2/2023 1:47:56 PM   
wineismylife

The only ones I bought and liked enough to haul back where:

Kanonkop
Uitkyk
Le Motte
Vrede and Lust
Tokara
Thelema
Rupert & Rothschild (now widely distributed here)

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to MB1991)
Post #: 18
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 10/3/2023 7:42:42 AM   
thenegociant

Very agree with the opinions on the grapes given by Echinosum.
As the Bordeaux grapes are apparently out of his spectrum, I would argue that Cabernets Sauvignon and Franc are doing very well also in Stellenbosch and Franshhoek whereas Merlot is rapidly overripe.

And they may have something distinctively SA, but I did not participate to a blind tasting to confirm this.

When I was there, I often enjoyed my first glass of Syrah, the second was more problematic. I must confess though that I have moderate apetite for the Syrah grape, especially when they reached the jammy and sweet side, what they often do in SA.

I am sorry to be the carrier of bad news, but in late January/February most of the small estates will be busy doing harvest or pre harvest preparations...I have been there at this time of the year...The Swartland revolutionaries will be hard to get.

I strongly recommend Boekenhoutskloof for the quality of the visit (small group of 12 ppl) and of the wines. They produce one of the best Semillon you can have, and you will make your choice between high end Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon
You need to book in advance as the sits available are limited and visits are not organizes on a daily basis.

I enjoyed a lot my visit to Anthonij Ruppert too as you will have a wide range of wines available to taste.

I wish I had the time to visit Kaapzicht. I really enjoyed their wines during my trip.

High end restaurants shall be booked months in advance and they worth it without a doubt.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 19
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 11/21/2023 11:05:42 AM   
davo22

Thanks for all of the great input. It helps a lot in planning things out. Some of the recommendations duplicated places I already had in mind, and some are new. I'll report back sometime in February.... ;)

(in reply to thenegociant)
Post #: 20
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 11/21/2023 11:51:04 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

Sweet wines. Not so long ago, there was a lot of sweet wine, much less today. But there are some special and distinctive things like Klein Constantia.

I was reading through and was surprised that this wasn't one of the first responses...and I'm not even that big a fan of stickies. Their "Vin de Constance" is arguably one of the great dessert wines from anywhere in the world, it just happens to be in RSA.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 21
RE: South Africa - Winery recommendations - 11/27/2023 6:08:48 AM   
MB1991

What does the itinerary look like?

(in reply to davo22)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> South Africa - Winery recommendations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI