CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 3:05:41 PM   
pbm

I know this ground has been covered before but I think it's been awhile. Basically, I'm wondering what lists you all subscribe to that promote "deals" on everything from daily drinkers to "cellar selections" to borrow a phrase. I'm not on many and most seem to be pretty hit and miss so I'm thinking I should broaden my horizons a bit. Right now I get emails from WTSO, Wine Library, Cinderella, and WineAccess. I also check Wine BlowOut. I also get emails on the collections available from Brentwood and Benchmark. I'm sure there are hundreds of others but I'm wondering which you all think are the better ones.

Oh, and how I could I forget my comrades at the PA state store! Some of the best deals I've come across are from them.

I've moved the list to this posting to make it easier to find. Here it is with latest additions included:

www.appellationamerica.com
www.astorwines.com
www.avalonwine.com
www.bountyhunterwine.com
www.brownderby.com
www.chambersstwines.com
www.cinderellawine.com
www.drinkthegrapes.com
www.echelonwines.com
www.garagistewine.com
www.haskells.com
www.klwines.com
www.jjbuckley.com
www.liquorama.net
www.pawineandspirits.com
www.premiercru.net
www.sokolin.com
www.storytellerwine.com
www.unwinedonline.com
www.ultimatewineshop.com
www.vinfolio.com
www.thewinebarn.net
www.wineconn.com
www.winelegend.com
www.winelibrary.com
www.winemonger.com
www.wtso.com
www.wine.woot.com
www.winex.com
www.zachys.com

< Message edited by pbm -- 4/2/2010 8:35:41 AM >

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

Post #: 1
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 3:32:53 PM   
annerk

Garagiste and The Wine Barn.

(If you ever want anything from the Wine Barn, I'm happy to pick it up and store it, and send it back to NJ with Jim next time he's driving.)  They have 2006 Dominus for $95/bottle right now.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 4:00:46 PM   
GalvezGuy

All of the above + Wine Connection, Echelon Wines, and Sokolin

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 3
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 4:09:04 PM   
tacman

I know a bunch of y'all hate it and will disagree, but I have gotten some great deals from Premier Cru ...

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 4:21:49 PM   
caeleric

i am a "private client" of jj buckley, and i receive private client pricing on some really great wines. sometimes they're mid-level wines that are brought down in price point to a drinker-level price, other times it's really great age-worthy wines at great prices. there is almost never a minimum order, and shipping usually comes out to about $3 per bottle FedEx ground. 

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 4:25:28 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

Garagiste and The Wine Barn.

(If you ever want anything from the Wine Barn, I'm happy to pick it up and store it, and send it back to NJ with Jim next time he's driving.)  They have 2006 Dominus for $95/bottle right now.

i'll second anne on twb. they do a huge online business. one of the best deals that comes to mind was a 2006 Martinelli Chardonnay "Zio Tony Ranch" for $29. lowest on wine searcher is $39, but most are around $50-$60.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 4:42:58 PM   
ob2s

Here's my favorite, often with the Hyperbole filtered ;-)
Dealios
I'll add the wine barn.
DrinkTheGrapes.com (east coast) has some really good deals on Ridge (best in the US) and others. EmpireWine.com (east coast) also has good deals for sure. HiTime Wine in Costa Mesa has good email deals, but shipping kills to east coast.SOMETIMES B-21.com in FL has good deals and free shipping. They deliver for free in FL to many places if you meet some Min like $150.

< Message edited by ob2s -- 3/30/2010 4:46:59 PM >

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 7:58:44 PM   
rabs

Why do some people not like Premier Cru?

Just recently ordered from them, twice, at really good prices from a really broad selection.  But, they were pre-arrivals, so I don't yet have the wine and don't yet know how reliable they may be.  But my confidence was high until I saw that comment!

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 8:04:01 PM   
duck833

Garagiste - I have over 25 cases sitting up in Seattle waiting for me to pick them up.  I need to stop reading their offers.

WTSO - I used to buy lots here, now not so much.

Storyteller Wine - Located in Portland, Oregon,  I get some special deals here and interesting stuff

Avalon Wine - Located in Corvallis, Oregon,  they will source some hard to find PN specials from the Willamette Valley. 

Go Ducks!!! - I love my thugs

(in reply to rabs)
Post #: 9
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 8:04:49 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: rabs

Why do some people not like Premier Cru?

Just recently ordered from them, twice, at really good prices from a really broad selection.  But, they were pre-arrivals, so I don't yet have the wine and don't yet know how reliable they may be.  But my confidence was high until I saw that comment!

http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=87962&mpage=1&key=premier%2Ccru𕞚
I'm sure I just screwed this up ... but if you search under Premier Cru you can find a thread from those who are unhappy.
Count me among the positives.

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to rabs)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 8:13:26 PM   
Hollowine

I think it's clear that Premier Cru and JJ Buckley have "Preferred" lists that make even better deals for those customers. I have seen some of the offers through these sub-lists and they can be pretty attractive.

I have been a big Garagiste fan but have slowed way down the past 6 months with them, they haven't had a lot of the gems I've bought in the past lately. I think the Winex offers are another that tend to make me impulse buy, they seem to do a substantial volume of interesting deals.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/30/2010 8:55:33 PM   
rabs

quote:

http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=87962&mpage=1&key=premier%2Ccru

Thanks tacman.  Somewhat scary thread, although as the person who started it said, it seems to be more about keeping on top of them than anything else.  I still have high hopes and will report back, good or bad, hopefully the former, in that thread.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 12
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 4:03:01 AM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: duck833

WTSO - I used to buy lots here, now not so much.

Same here--it seems like it's the same 12 or so wines being offered over and over lately.

quote:

Storyteller Wine - Located in Portland, Oregon,  I get some special deals here and interesting stuff

Do they actually have a mailing list?  I've bought from them before only because I was given a heads up on a deal by another CT User and I called and paid for it over the phone--it was picked up and shipped to me in a case of mixed bottles from here and there that the CT user had for me.

(in reply to duck833)
Post #: 13
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 4:55:32 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I think it's clear that Premier Cru and JJ Buckley have "Preferred" lists that make even better deals for those customers. I have seen some of the offers through these sub-lists and they can be pretty attractive.

I have been a big Garagiste fan but have slowed way down the past 6 months with them, they haven't had a lot of the gems I've bought in the past lately. I think the Winex offers are another that tend to make me impulse buy, they seem to do a substantial volume of interesting deals.

I agree ... I find myself mostly ordering their "foodie" items now.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 14
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 5:20:58 AM   
mj

I receive more than I even read, and if it isn't a wine in the subject block that tickles my fancy, I usually delete it.  I probably get 50-75 offers a day from different shops.  -mJ

BLOG: http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/njfoodies
TWITTER: njfoodies

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 15
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 6:41:39 AM   
gbm

Wine Connection - www.wineconn.com - tons of Bordeaux and good Italian wines.  They also buy private cellars so you will occasionally get some interesting offers on older stuff.  Prices are good.  Every so often you get an incredible deal.  Just check winesearcher first.

Drink The Grapes - www.drinkthegrapes.com - they have some pretty good deals and 10% off every Tuesday.  Caveat emptor - although very responsive to email, their phone number is hard to find and their shipping department SUCKS. 

Greg

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 16
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 6:45:06 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

ORIGINAL: mj

I receive more than I even read, and if it isn't a wine in the subject block that tickles my fancy, I usually delete it.  I probably get 50-75 offers a day from different shops.  -mJ

Put me in this camp.  Get dozens every day and can't remember the last time I actually bought from one.

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 17
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 6:55:20 AM   
mj

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife
Put me in this camp.  Get dozens every day and can't remember the last time I actually bought from one.

I think the last offer I jumped on was from Manhattan Wine Company for a few bottles of back vintage Sea Smoke they had.  Benchmark sometimes has some good offer, but a lot of the time I will e-mail Whiteney, Kari, or Mike back within minutes, and the wines will already be gone.  Seems to always be the case the with 3 pack Sine Qua Non stickies, as well as the Covert Fingers.  Damn it all!

Maybe we need to start a new thread where we can cut and paste the latest offers into the thread for anyone who might be interested.  -mJ

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 18
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 7:41:27 AM   
ob2s

quote:

Do they actually have a mailing list?  I've bought from them before only because I was given a heads up on a deal by another CT User and I called and paid for it over the phone--it was picked up and shipped to me in a case of mixed bottles from here and there that the CT user had for me.

They sure do, but it is...all of things.. a story. Well done too. Send an email to howdy@storytellerwine.com to get on the list. Here is the last one.

Story Teller Wine Company
I am frequently asked “what’s your favorite winery in Oregon?” Or, what’s you favorite winery in (fill in your own favorite region here)?” These are tough questions to answer so I usually come up with something pithy like “depends what day it is.” But when it comes to the state just north of Oregon, I may be closer to a real answer than for any other region on the planet. I have tasted a whole lot of wines made over the years by Bob Betz and I would feel pretty comfortable claiming that in my book, he’s the best winemaker in Washington. I know, I’m going to get all sort of emails from folks who have their own Washington favorite and I’m sure those wineries would make my Top Twenty list, but when it comes to finesse, balance, restrained oak, restrained alcohol and a certain “old world” style, the wines of Betz Family Winery are my favorites. Which is why I’m pretty pumped about this particular offering. Yes, Betz wines are in the elite group of Washington winemakers, standing comfortably shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of Quilceda Creek, Leonetti and Cayuse. With Betz you have a brilliant winemaker who has access to the best fruit in Washington. So when you get a great vintage year like 2007, you just know you are going to get something very, very special from Bob Betz. According to Bob, “2007 is one of the great vintages ever in Washington. I’ve been in the industry about 35 years, and I believe that 2007 is in the top five vintages that I’ve seen. The purity and elegance of the fruit really make it a great vintage while it also has the structure to go the distance. It has a very attractive lift.” Bob Betz is one of the few winemakers who have earned the Master of Wine (MW) degree from London’s Institute of Masters of Wine. To give you an idea of what a feat that is, only about 260 people have passed the three-day exam since they first started awarding the MW degree in 1953! And Bob is not one for a lot of hyperbole and puffery. So when a man with Bob’s credentials and humble nature gets this excited about a set of wines, I sit up and take notice. And the same dedication and studiousness that carried him to one of the highest scores ever on the MW exams can also be found in every bottle of wine he makes, regardless of vintage year. 2007 Betz Family Winery Clos de Betz (44.00) The Clos de Betz is a truly stunning blend of 62% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Malbec, 5% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot, with a majority of the fruit coming from from the highly acclaimed Red Mountain and Horse Heaven Hills vineyards. It’s riper and friendlier in its youth than the Pere de Famille but it definitely has its own sense of elegance. The aromas are enough to take you someplace else if you will close your eyes and surrender. There are notes of smoky, ripe blackberries that have been crushed by a wet river stone. Where do the aromatics of this wine take me? I almost hear music in my head while drinking wine. To me this is Dizzy Gillespie in his prime. It’s playful but you can tell there are some serious chops there. It’s all bebop and berets. When I smell this wine I think of Dizzy Gillespie pumping out “A Night in Tunisia” at NYC’s Town Hall on a sweaty June night in 1945. Yeah, Bob Betz is jazz to me. His wines are syncopation in winemaking. As soon as I think I’m getting in a predictable rut when it comes to drinking Pacific NW wines, along comes Bob Betz to knock me for a loop. The palate is just as pleasing with its flavors of cassis and black cherry gliding all around my glass. There are also enough bits of bittersweet dark chocolate, licorice, tar and mineral here to make this one very interesting wine. But don’t misread my note. This is not a mere explosion of fruit. No, that Petit Verdot and Malbec give the Clos de Betz some serious structure. I plan on putting some of this wine away to enjoy over the next decade. If I can keep my hands off of it. 2007 Betz Family Winery Pere de Famille (59.00) I frequently hear people ask why American winemakers insist on making wines that mimic Bordeaux, Burgundy, Piedmont and the like. I always think to myself, why did Japanese kids pick up baseball bats and try to mimic Hank Aaron? Why did a bunch of mop-haired British kids pick up guitars and try to emulate Chuck Berry and Little Richard? Baseball and rock and roll are uniquely American, after all. They were inspired, that’s why. And that inspiration led to aspiration, a desire to make something just as good, but with their own signature mark. So when people make snide comments about New World Bordeaux blends I just smile. And I keep drinking my Pere de Famille. The 2007 Pere de Famille is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, and 7% Petit Verdot, mostly from the Red Mountain AVA with small amounts from Horse Heaven Hills and Yakima Valley. This wine is pure power and an amount of finesse that may take you a whole evening to fully appreciate. If the Clos de Betz is early Dizzy, the Pere de Famille is without a doubt the dark, brooding Miles Davis. This is Miles Davis live at the Blackhawk in San Francisco in 1961. When he rips through the beginning of “So What” you know this is a serious man. Check out a video of that performance and you’ll see that even the cats in his band look a bit concerned. Maybe it was just awe on their faces. Miles was at the top of his game then, just like Bob Betz is now. This is a dark, serious wine. It is all shark skin suits and sunglasses. You want to dismiss this wine because it’s not from the Left Bank of Bordeaux? Miles would say “well, you needn’t.” The Pere de Famille has heady, sophisticated aromas of tart blackberries, graphite, pipe smoke and a really cool whiff of violets. If you have a fight with your significant other, this is the wine you want to pour when making your peace. A few sniffs from a glass of Pere de Famille and I swear anything going on your day-to-day life just fades off into the sunset. Wine writer and Washington wine guru Paul Gregutt recently tasted these wines with Bob Betz and then wrote them up in his blog. Gregutt observed that, “those two wines have just been released, and they continue an unbroken string of excellence from Betz Family…Bigger, beefier, bolder and simply breathtaking is the Betz Family 2007 Pere de Famille Cabernet Sauvignon ($60). Included with the cab are smaller percentages of merlot and petit verdot. ‘They play supporting roles,’ Bob Betz explains, ‘contributing mineral and black olive hints.’ Sweet, pure fruit – black currants and black cherry and blackberry – is packed tight here, concentrated and polished, but needing hours to breathe open. Dense, dusty, complex, complicated, sophisticated beyond description – you quickly run out of descriptors. The mailing list is closed, and these wines are not likely to last in the marketplace very long, so act now if you want them.” The Close de Betz and the Pere de Famille both received scores ranging from 93 to 96 points from just about any major critic you would care to name. I mention this not because Bob’s wines need any additional hype, but because I want to let you know how quickly they will disappear. I am receiving 36 bottles TOTAL of these two wines. When you take into account Washington’s sales tax, the prices I am asking for these wines are three to six dollars less than what the winery asked of their mailing list members. I am fairly confident these are the lowest prices current available anywhere in the United States. But if you happen across a better price for either of these wines in a store near you, I will happily match it. If you enjoy Bordeaux blends, you really need to consider buying at least one bottle each of these wines just to check out the winemaking skills of Bob Betz. If you are a fan of Bob’s work and have purchased his wines in the past, well you need to consider making like Doug Flutie and going long on these 2007s as they are probably the best wines Bob has ever made.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 19
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 10:15:01 AM   
drycab

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

Drink The Grapes - www.drinkthegrapes.com - they have some pretty good deals and 10% off every Tuesday.  Caveat emptor - although very responsive to email, their phone number is hard to find and their shipping department SUCKS. 

I couldn't agree more...some great deals and their shipping department sucks.
Sums it up quite nicely, actually.

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 20
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 11:04:57 AM   
rjonas

K&L Wines is one of my favorites.  Liquorama.net also has some good deals from time to time.

My experience with both outfits has been excellent.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 21
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 11:33:08 AM   
mj

Anyone get the e-mail from Loring about the 3 pack samples for $59.97?  Heck of a nice deal!  Bottle each of the Shea, Aubaine, and Keefer.  Shipping a flat $5.  Heck of a great deal!  Just ordered mine.  -mJ

(in reply to rjonas)
Post #: 22
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 12:54:17 PM   
pbm

So here's the list I've come up with so far. Anything major missing? Remember, this is for on-line "deals" vial e-mail alerts not all on-line retailers or wine clubs. Also, it's limited to US-based retailers.

www.appellationamerica.com
www.astorwines.com
www.avalonwine.com
www.bountyhunterwine.com
www.brownderby.com
www.chambersstwines.com
www.cinderellawine.com
www.drinkthegrapes.com
www.echelonwines.com
www.garagistewine.com
www.haskells.com
www.klwines.com
www.jjbuckley.com
www.liquorama.net
www.pawineandspirits.com
www.premiercru.net
www.sokolin.com
www.storytellerwine.com
www.unwinedonline.com
www.ultimatewineshop.com
www.thewinebarn.net
www.wineconn.com
www.winelegend.com
www.winelibrary.com
www.winemonger.com
www.wtso.com
www.wine.woot.com
www.winex.com
www.zachys.com

< Message edited by pbm -- 4/2/2010 7:47:03 AM >

PBM

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 23
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 4:48:09 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

quote:

They sure do, but it is...all of things.. a story. Well done too. Send an email to howdy@storytellerwine.com to get on the list. Here is the last one.

Michael Alberty owns Storyteller and is a great guy. Once or twice a week he sends out an email such as the one ob2s posted. He's got a great palate and has turned me on to some great wines, most notable of which is Lillian. He also was recently voted best wine shop in Portland (or something like that). One other thing, he knows just about everyone in the industry in the PNW, and surprisingly, can source just about anything. If you are looking for it, he probably knows where to get it. I highly encourage you to send him a note at the email above and support him, his pricing is highly reasonable and the entertainment value of many of his stories are worth taking the time to read the emails. Case in point...another of the Storyteller emails...

Last night I received a rather rude awakening. It was 11:50PM and there was a voice on the other end of the phone. “Is this Michael?” At that time of night on a Sunday I wasn’t quite sure how to answer that. Eventually I was able to confirm that yes, it was indeed me on the phone. The voice was rough like sandpaper. It was coming from a throat that had seen a few shots of whiskey and a continuous stream of blue smoke. “Remember that time I posted bail for you in Aurora?” OK, that got my attention. But I couldn’t remember if it had been Colorado or Illinois. It’s easy to get in trouble anywhere a place is called Aurora. Then it all came rushing back to me. “Charles?” I asked. “That’s right, Mr. Smith to you. And I need to call in my chit.” I knew this moment would come. A night in Chicago that started harmlessly enough with straight bourbon and Motorhead on the jukebox at the Twisted Spoke eventually ended up with a doughnut fight in Aurora. A doughnut fight where a few well placed crullers actually managed to draw blood from the forehead of a well-meaning security guard. But that’s another newsletter. I asked Charles what he wanted. Which leads me to this particular newsletter offering.

2006 K Vintners Milbrandt Vineyard Syrah (normally 30.00)

Charles Smith is the kind of guy that can get you in trouble just by being the same area code. In the parental handbook, his picture is in the chapter titled “The Bad Element and Boys Not to Bring Home to Mother.” He also happens to be making some killer Syrah up Walla Walla way. He approaches making wine the way he does motorcycle riding. Which is to say he honors the Mongols’ credo of “respect few, fear none.” When he puts a K Vintners Syrah in the bottle he’s shooting for the Rhone and he is openly dismissive of his more immediate neighbors. It’s a style that earns few friends but I don’t think Charles cares one bit. As long as there are folks out there quaffing his wines with close to raw meat while listening to Black Flag, Charles is happy.

Lots of people make Syrah in Walla Walla, Most of them are quite good. I remember the first time I heard a recording of the Thelonius Monk Quartet doing “Round Midnight.” It was great. It was cool. But everybody takes a stab at Round Midnight. Some say it is recorded with greater frequency than any other standard composed by a jazz musician. Then I heard the Miles Davis and John Coltrane take on the exact same piece of music. They filled it with a lifetime of pain and anguish. I could not believe it was the same song. That’s how I feel when Charles Smith gets Syrah right. That’s why Dr. Jay Miller of the Wine Advocate wrote last year, “…the man is a brilliant winemaker who knows where all the great fruit is hidden. In a region where blending is the rule of thumb, he is the ultimate terroirist. Each wine reflects the vineyard from which it was produced but there is also a house style which lets you know immediately who made the wine. While it’s way too soon to put K Vintners on the same level as a Domaine Leroy or Domaine Zind-Humbrecht, the experience you get tasting in the cellar is much the same as in those legendary wineries, brilliantly made wines reflecting the terroir but also a winemaking signature that makes it totally clear which winery made the wine.” The latest vintage of the Milbrandt Vineyard Syrah is a perfect example of that effect. It’s dark and brooding and while others use Milbrandt fruit, nobody hits the dark part of the libido with it like Charles Smith. When I drink this wine I feel like I should be hanging out with Hunter S. Thompson at a thatch roofed outdoor beach bar, fending off requests to chew on the adrenal gland of a local dog. You just know that the wrong answer to the next question could land you in Aurora.

The Milbrandt Vineyard Syrah has a wonderfully aromatic nose. Honeysuckle and mulberries swirl about your head like gnats on a hot summer’s night. The palate is nice and light by K Vintners standards, with lots of juicy acidity. It’s dark, but it’s light. There is soul here. But I wanted to know why Charles wanted to have a conversation at midnight on a Sunday. “I need to buy airline tickets to Amsterdam for all the semifinalists in the Miss Washington pageant. To do that I need to move some juice.” But why should I help? “I’ll give you 11 reasons” said Charles. 1. Smoke 2. Soy sauce 3. Cured black olives 4. Black pepper 5. White pepper 6. Black raspberries 7. Red raspberries 8. Stone 9. Dried meat 10. Violets 11. Aurora.”

< Message edited by Hollowine -- 3/31/2010 4:53:25 PM >

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 24
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 8:06:17 PM   
pbm

After reading that I am now bowing in the direction of the PNW.

PBM

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 25
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 8:07:03 PM   
rabs

Several people mentioned K&L.  I think you should add them.

I've shopped there for a while, first in person and frequently now online (with in person pickup at the Hollywood store).  They are great - in selection, price, web site, ordering, notification, etc.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 26
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 8:16:06 PM   
pbm

My bad. Complete oversight on my part. I've even used K&L myself AND visited their store south of SF. They'll be added.

PBM

(in reply to rabs)
Post #: 27
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 3/31/2010 11:25:32 PM   
dsGris

Scott,
I did not at first know that Storey Teller Wine was an online store until I e-mailed Michael. Now I get his e-mails which are quite entertaining. But with the reduced buying I have imposed upon myself, I haven't taken advantage of them lately. I missed a deal on the Bergstom Shea and the Berserker Special. I have enjoyed chats with him and need to get back to the store. I was looking for a local source to avoid the shipping charges of Garagiste, Full Pull and Avalon/NW Wines for OR & WA wines.
Dennis

< Message edited by dsGris -- 4/1/2010 9:30:56 AM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 28
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 4/1/2010 4:24:02 AM   
annerk

Does anyone use K&L enough that they "know" people there?

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 29
RE: Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals - 4/1/2010 10:42:34 AM   
gbm

quote:

Does anyone use K&L enough that they "know" people there?

If anyone does, ask them when they will get Connecticut on their list of states they ship to.  I'm tired of picking it up at my in-laws.

Greg

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Favorite E-Mail Lists for Deals Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI