CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/6/2024 3:04:28 PM   
Eduardo787

Offers are starting to fill my inbox and I really do not know how to approach 2023 after zero buys of the 22's ( because of pricing) and 21's ( because of not good vintage).

Prices are down significantly for Bdx 2023 but I have not made my mind if I want to buy and if so which wines. Ive seen Mouton and Laffite in the $500 mark but I would like to guess they are for very long cellaring or at least 15 years in the future, thing that I am not going to do.

From what I have read 2023 is not a right bank year as it was not a great year for merlot, but it seems cab sauv got better luck. The critics will jump all over with their 95+ points rating for almost all wines above $70 and it will be hard to find ( as always) a true grasp of Bdx for 2023.

The last vintage I went all in was 2019 because of the incredible deals, but 2023 I have no idea if the quality is there or if there is so much wine sitting everywhere from 2021 and 2022 that all the wine business is telling us things that might not be so true.

Is this vintage a must, an opportunity, a meh meh, a just buy some, etc ?

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends
Post #: 1
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/6/2024 3:37:14 PM   
Wine Grove

2019 was a good vintage to stock up on.
With the global wine glut, the murky and potentially volataile economy, inflation and high costs for everything else, coupled with recent wine buying trends, you Eduardo have the power!!
is En primeur even worth it, do you save that much money?

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 2
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/6/2024 4:06:35 PM   
skifree

Pontet-Canet for $90? If I were younger, I would buy at least 6!! From what I read, seems to be a vintage that will be good when young as well as old....

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 3
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/8/2024 4:53:44 AM   
Echinosum

What I have been reading is that there are some outstanding wines, where the vignerons worked hard to address the difficulties of the conditions, and knew how to turn the materials into good wine. It doesn't sound like a vintage to buy at "entry level", but rather one that offers an opportunity to find some carefully located bargains at the upper end of the quality spectrum. We must read the assessments of individual wines carefully, and find several assessments. Some of the reviews of individual wines I have read seem to have "faint praise", as in the saying goes.

It is a large vintage, at least at the quality end, despite losses to mildew. And that will be at least part of the explanation for markedly lower prices.

I said I wasn't going to buy any 2021. But in the end there was one wine that got such extensive and good reviews it seemed to be a major bargain so I bought a case of it. Something similar happened in 2017. I have generally been charmed by the various 2017s I have bought from other parts of France, and sometimes wonder if I should go back and buy some more 2017s. I'm fed up of 14-15% wines, and none of the recent cooler vintages have been at all like the bad, cold vintages of the past. So it is possible I will locate something like that in 2023, but in general I wasn't planning to buy anything.

2022 was good value if you were buying at the lower quality end - wines there cost much the same as in 2020. It was at higher quality level that prices went up so much.

A discriminating palate can be a curse.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 4
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/8/2024 4:59:38 AM   
Echinosum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove
En primeur even worth it, do you save that much money?

It varies. Sometimes you can still get the same wine for the much the same price 5 years later. Sometimes it has substantially increased in price and/or become unavailable.

(in reply to Wine Grove)
Post #: 5
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/8/2024 8:04:36 AM   
Paul852

For me if I feel like some 2023 Bordeaux in about 2033 then I have confidence that there will be plenty available to buy. I'm not obsessed about any particular wine - there are plenty of decent ones.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 6
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/8/2024 12:39:16 PM   
wdcwineguys

I think Dunnuck sums it up well:

“To quickly summarize, 2023 is a good to very good, but not a great year for Bordeaux. It surpasses 2014, 2017, and 2021 yet is a solid step back from the incredible trio of 2018 through 2020, and most likely will be surpassed by 2022 as well. The wines are ripe yet not massive or incredibly concentrated.”

The quality is also a mixed bag and is very chateau dependent for 2023.

While some of the 2023 prices are attractive, I’m finding great deals on 18, 19, 20’s still and I’d rather put my $ there.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 7
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/8/2024 5:31:14 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdcwineguys

“To quickly summarize, 2023 is a good to very good, but not a great year for Bordeaux. It surpasses 2014, 2017, and 2021 yet is a solid step back from the incredible trio of 2018 through 2020, and most likely will be surpassed by 2022 as well. The wines are ripe yet not massive or incredibly concentrated.”

While some of the 2023 prices are attractive, I’m finding great deals on 18, 19, 20’s still and I’d rather put my $ there.

I rather adore the 2014 Bordeaux and 2017 & 2021 feel like early drinking vintages. 2019 if you can find them are excellent wines.

From what I have read I am eager to secure some 2023 Bordeaux. A little more restraint.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 8
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/8/2024 6:37:46 PM   
skifree

quote:

I think Jane Anson, Lisa Perrotti-Brown, and William Kelley are the voices to listen to about Bordeaux these days. Jeb, IMHO, has a new world palate.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to wdcwineguys)
Post #: 9
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/9/2024 3:06:39 AM   
Echinosum

Bordeaux critics 2023 round-up (as selected by a merchant) including Kelley and Perotti-Brown, and Anson's thoughts.

A repeated theme, to use Anson's words, is
quote:

...there is a big difference between those that have succeeded, and those who have struggled...

I was going to write that the style of the vintage may well seem attractive to some, lower alcohol, combination of ripeness and freshness, etc. But that's a trap I nearly fell into. What they are actually saying is that the style of the wines that succeeded may well have those attractions, to people that prefer that.

Paul makes good points about the good availability of Bordeaux in secondary markets. But maybe in an uneven vintage like 2023 the wines are rather less substitutes for each other, and it may be the less successful ones that are more easily available.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 10
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/9/2024 10:02:08 AM   
wdcwineguys

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

quote:

I think Jane Anson, Lisa Perrotti-Brown, and William Kelley are the voices to listen to about Bordeaux these days. Jeb, IMHO, has a new world palate.

And of all of the reviewers Jeb is the one who I agree with the most across the boards. Different palates.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 11
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/10/2024 9:41:32 AM   
jeff leve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

Offers are starting to fill my inbox and I really do not know how to approach 2023 after zero buys of the 22's ( because of pricing) and 21's ( because of not good vintage).

Prices are down significantly for Bdx 2023 but I have not made my mind if I want to buy and if so which wines. Ive seen Mouton and Laffite in the $500 mark but I would like to guess they are for very long cellaring or at least 15 years in the future, thing that I am not going to do.

From what I have read 2023 is not a right bank year as it was not a great year for merlot, but it seems cab sauv got better luck. The critics will jump all over with their 95+ points rating for almost all wines above $70 and it will be hard to find ( as always) a true grasp of Bdx for 2023. Is this vintage a must, an opportunity, a meh meh, a just buy some, etc ?

Hey Eduardo... I think you read my site, but just in case, you, or others have not looked... Also, FWIW, there are some stunning Right Bank 2023's... Not everywhere but they are there. There is less Merlot in 2023, but that's less, which is different than not great.

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/2024/05/2023-bordeaux-wine-guide-vintage-harvest-analysis-what-to-buy/

www.thewinecellarinsider.com

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 12
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/10/2024 3:17:26 PM   
Eduardo787

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeff leve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

From what I have read 2023 is not a right bank year as it was not a great year for merlot, but it seems cab sauv got better luck. The critics will jump all over with their 95+ points rating for almost all wines above $70 and it will be hard to find ( as always) a true grasp of Bdx for 2023. Is this vintage a must, an opportunity, a meh meh, a just buy some, etc ?

Hey Eduardo... I think you read my site, but just in case, you, or others have not looked... Also, FWIW, there are some stunning Right Bank 2023's... Not everywhere but they are there. There is less Merlot in 2023, but that's less, which is different than not great.

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/2024/05/2023-bordeaux-wine-guide-vintage-harvest-analysis-what-to-buy/

I have no idea why I forgot to look at your site !!!! Of course I have hours and hours getting lost in your site, but somehow I forgot this time to look there for info. This weekend I will definitelly plan on reading all your tasting notes and coments. Thanks Jeff !

I can´t be happier than drinkling wine with my friends

(in reply to jeff leve)
Post #: 13
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/11/2024 7:08:42 PM   
ericindc

1st. Try to figure if you will be alive in 2050 when the better wines will be mature.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to Eduardo787)
Post #: 14
RE: So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? - 5/23/2024 12:07:34 PM   
WineGuyCO

2019 is the last Bordeaux Vintage I’m buying. All of the 2023 En Primier emails just get deleted. You young bucks should go for it though.

La felicità, come un vino pregiato, dev’essere assaporata sorso a sorso.

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> So, whats the way to approach 2023 En Primeur ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI