CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Dishwashing and wine glasses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Dishwashing and wine glasses Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 8:27:23 AM   
Slye

So I grew up with the idea that you should never put fine glassware in a dishwasher, and in fact not even use soap -- the idea being that even a small residual amount will affect a wine, its nose and taste.

Based upon a number of comments here and elsewhere, I have experimented with some of my nicer glasses in the dishwasher on the delicate setting. [I suspect part of the developments since I learned not to use a dishwasher is more sophisticated dishwashers with delicate settings.] I have put Riedel Sommelier and Grassl glasses in -- and of course I am now amazed about how clean they get. [Perhaps a comment on the quality of my hand washing....]

So the question is whether this is now pretty standard practice?

Second, and related, is it better to do this without soap at all? Or do some of you use a special soap just for wineglasses? Or is using regular dishwashing soap (in our case pods), fine?
Post #: 1
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 8:49:21 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

We don't own many high end wine glasses. They tend to explode in my hands regardless of type of washing, drinking, pouring, or looking at them the wrong way. We do own a number of Reidel in a couple of shapes, and boatload of the Riedel-made Costco stems that they sold a couple of years ago.

All that said, we go back and forth between putting them in the dishwasher and hand washing. We have no problem using the dw if it is not overloaded and if the dishes are pre-rinsed. If, such as has been lately with a couple of untrained in-laws who are graciously loading the dw without pre-rinsing, we prefer the wine glasses be left out so that Barb or I can hand wash. This is because the method they use ends up with more crap inside the glass dried/baked on than they ever started with.

On soap, my opinion is that any good soap should rinse off with enough hot clean water. For my wine making equipment I use only oxyclean though to minimize the suds and to give a bit of peroxide zap to any lingering bacteria. Therefore, by default since I always have a tub under the sink, oxyclean is my go-to wine glass hand cleaner, too.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 2
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 9:03:58 AM   
CranBurgundy

CiS said it best - use good dishwashing soap and never put the stems in with dishes that aren't rinsed off before hand.

The one thing I'll add is make sure the glasses are stable and won't tip over. We often put plastic liquid containers (reusable water bottles like Contigo) one either side of each glass.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 9:50:10 AM   
pbilling

We don't have Riedel's but put our Spiegelau's wine glasses and Schott Zwiesel flutes in the DW all the time. I try and take them out right after the cycle finishes and give the bottom and rim a quick wipe with a towel. We have hard water and tend to get spots on the rim otherwise. I dare say I break far fewer wine glasses with the DW then I would by hand washing and drying. I also try and rotate the wine glasses so they all get about the same amount of washing. We have a dozen each of Bordeaux, Burgundy and white wine glasses and with just the 2 of us, we rarely have more than 2 or 4 of each in the DW at a time.

Paul

The secret to enjoying a good wine.
1. Open the bottle and allow to breathe
2. If it doesn't look like it's breathing, give it mouth to mouth.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 4
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 9:53:22 AM   
cookiefiend

I wash mine by hand, with a little soap and hot (HOT) water.
But I always wash them the next morning - less breakage that way.

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 5
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 10:20:34 AM   
BRR

I too hand wash with soap and hot water. The key is rinsing them thoroughly. I also have a wine glass drying rack thing that suspends them upside down for air drying. I've found that drying with just about any towel leaves an order in them. I've had too many glasses break in my dishwasher, mostly from tipping over during the wash.

Cheers!

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 6
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 10:26:03 AM   
brettlaurvick

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookiefiend

This is my preference - however Paula can't go to bed with dirty anything in the kitchen.

Brett
Owner - Cellar Fifty-Five Wine Storage, Sarasota

"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" - Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 7
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 10:29:05 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: brettlaurvick

quote:

This is my preference - however Paula can't go to bed with dirty anything in the kitchen.

I have the same "problem" as Paula.

Thanks for all of the good ideas above and other feedback. So far I have only used the dishwasher with only wine glasses in it, for exactly the concern about breakage and food contamination mentioned above. We have two of those smallish drawer dishwashers, so that makes dedicating one to just a few wine glasses make more sense than a normal size dishwasher.

(in reply to brettlaurvick)
Post #: 8
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 10:32:48 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: brettlaurvick

quote:

I have the same "problem" as Paula.

Don't leave your dirty dishes in the kitchen then. Leave them in the living room. Voila!

Another simple solution in a series of many.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 9
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 10:37:29 AM   
Paul852

Or go to bed in the bedroom rather than in the kitchen!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 10
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 10:59:25 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbilling

We don't have Riedel's but put our Spiegelau's wine glasses and Schott Zwiesel flutes in the DW all the time.

Paul

We wash our glasses in the DW (a Bosche) all the time. About the time we got the Bosche we had a fairly equal number of Riedel and Spieglau. Eventually, the Spieglaus etched. Once etched, a glass holds onto water, and after a trip through the DW the Spieglaus looked like they had water measles. We tossed them all out and have never purchased Spieglaus again. Meanwhile, our Riedels have never been likewise afflicted.

(in reply to pbilling)
Post #: 11
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 11:27:31 AM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

Or go to bed in the bedroom rather than in the kitchen!

But I love having the mattress in the kitchen. If I accidentally drop something it never breaks.........

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 12
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 1:57:49 PM   
jmcmchi

We hand-washed until a seminar with Georg Riedel. His answer to the question was that he puts everything through a dishwasher

(I take leave to doubt that for the serpent-like concoctions)

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 13
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 2:23:13 PM   
musedir

quote:

THIS plus I use a stem drying rack and I have two decanter drying stem poles. If I have to, I work in batches... it’s ok, I’m not in a big hurry and Dr. M never volunteers to help.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 14
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 3:01:17 PM   
Ibetian

We always wash stems in the dishwasher, and it seems to work fine. Many more stems broken hand washed than in the dishwasher.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 15
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 4:41:01 PM   
mjobtx

Well this thread is a bit of deja vu. We have one of these https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/1690.htm?info=200019062-ZST. Local water pH is 6.0 so we are not dealing with hard water and even if we were, the dishwasher has an automatic water softening salt dispenser. We have had the dishwasher over two years and because of the pH of our water, little or no salt has been used. We have had no problem with our fine crystal or wine glasses.

PlanoWino

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 16
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 4:50:24 PM   
S1

GGG recommends the dishwasher,
So does Grassl.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 17
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 5:05:14 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

GGG recommends the dishwasher,
So does Grassl.

Yes, this is what got me started. The Grassl's are so much more delicate than the Riedels. Yet they both seem to come out fine (so far....)

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 18
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 5:19:02 PM   
Hollowine

I'm doing all my glassware in the dishwasher, but I have a dedicated dishwasher in my office where most of my wine gear is, so pretty much the only thing being run with the stems is usually coffee mugs and silverware

I have a mix of Riedel, Spieglau, and GGG

I bent a couple of the tines in the rack to better hold the GGG shape, but I'm never running more than a couple of them at a time

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 19
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 5:42:20 PM   
DoubleD1969

I wash my Riedels and Tritans by hand with a little soap and water the morning after I leave some soapy water in the glasses.

I've also washed a dozen or two Riedels at a time at a friend's dishwasher and have never seen a broken glass.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 20
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 5:51:57 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I'm doing all my glassware in the dishwasher, but I have a dedicated dishwasher in my office where most of my wine gear is, so pretty much the only thing being run with the stems is usually coffee mugs and silverware

I have a mix of Riedel, Spieglau, and GGG

I bent a couple of the tines in the rack to better hold the GGG shape, but I'm never running more than a couple of them at a time

Are you hiring?

I use a GGG for everyday use so I hand wash it most of the time. Other stems and flutes in the DW

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 21
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 6:58:09 PM   
mtpisgah

I hand wash our Zaltos, usually with really hot want and without soap. Every few uses I will use soap and rinse them really well. We have a glass hanging rack attached to the bottom of a cabinet where I hang them to dry. After big parties I will sometimes put our cheaper glasses in the dishwasher. I have put the Zaltos in a couple of times but they do not stand well.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 22
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 9:41:41 PM   
skifree

HRH thinks that it is a mortal sin to run a dishwasher that has one square inch of unused space - so of course everything is pre-washed as otherwise it would be a bit, well, odiferous.

I wash all my glasses with a lot of hot water and a little Dawn or Dove or whatever, and then more hot water to rinse and rinse. Wine glasses take up a lot of room and IMHO they are not meant to pack like sardines.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 23
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/18/2019 11:27:37 PM   
hankj

Schott Zwiesel Forte Tritan crystal is made for the dishwasher. I'm not sure what's in it, but man are these glasses tough. Among many other sure-shot breakage situations, one of mine fell off the counter onto the hardwood and bounced a few times but survived just fine.

Did break one once though, and it exploded into a thousand dime length razor sharp shards. It was like the thing detonated and exploded across three rooms. So really durable, but when they do break oh my goodness

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 24
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/19/2019 12:01:10 AM   
oskiwawa

Exactly the same except for Riedel glasses. Hand dry immediately with micro fiber cloth. Have had the same stems now going on 20 years and they look brand new.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I hand wash our Zaltos, usually with really hot want and without soap. Every few uses I will use soap and rinse them really well. We have a glass hanging rack attached to the bottom of a cabinet where I hang them to dry. After big parties I will sometimes put our cheaper glasses in the dishwasher. I have put the Zaltos in a couple of times but they do not stand well.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 25
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/19/2019 3:37:17 AM   
khmark7

quote:

Same here. Only wash by hand, and then towel dry (i use some smaller soft clothes for this). Air drying is bad because the calcium deposits in the water stain the crystal.

I use normal dish soap, never had any issues, and i only use Riedel or Schott Zwiesel stemware.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 26
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/19/2019 7:16:56 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: skifree

HRH thinks that it is a mortal sin to run a dishwasher that has one square inch of unused space…

My wife believes this as well.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 27
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/20/2019 3:23:58 PM   
WineGuyCO

A little soap, water and then hand dry with microfiber cloth. Never in the dishwasher.

Rick

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 28
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/21/2019 10:44:55 AM   
nyccablover

We use the dishwasher for all of our glasses (GGG, Zalto, Riedel, SZ) - also just put them in with everything else. I run the dishwasher every night, it is a Miele which has some special racking on the bottom for wine glasses. Something that has not been stated though is the type of soap to use in the machine - highly recommended is METHOD SMARTY DISH TABLETS - unscented. These are terrific and leave absolutely no residue behind. I buy them from Amazon in six packs - so always have a good supply. Have not lost a glass yet in six years - from the dishwasher!

Palates may change, but CT handles are forever!

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 29
RE: Dishwashing and wine glasses - 3/21/2019 12:26:56 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyccablover

We use the dishwasher for all of our glasses (GGG, Zalto, Riedel, SZ) - also just put them in with everything else. I run the dishwasher every night, it is a Miele which has some special racking on the bottom for wine glasses. Something that has not been stated though is the type of soap to use in the machine - highly recommended is METHOD SMARTY DISH TABLETS - unscented. These are terrific and leave absolutely no residue behind. I buy them from Amazon in six packs - so always have a good supply. Have not lost a glass yet in six years - from the dishwasher!

Oh thanks for the detergent recommendation. I looked on Amazon, and there are some recent negative reviews alleging that there has been a formula change, resulting in residue left on dishes. Are these the ones you use? And if so, any problems with the newer version?

https://www.amazon.com/Method-Smarty-Dishwashing-Tablets-Fragrance/dp/B002Y26UY2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2DTF76GB42228&keywords=method%2Bsmarty%2Bdish%2Bdishwasher%2Btablets&qid=1553196082&s=gateway&sprefix=method%2Bsmarty%2Bd%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-3&th=1

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Dishwashing and wine glasses Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI