CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wines from 1965 vintage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wines from 1965 vintage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wines from 1965 vintage - 2/21/2023 9:05:10 PM   
jcosindc

I’ve not done a lot of research yet, but thought I’d reach out and ask for suggestions. I want to give my sister-in-law a gift of wine from her birth year. Any wine suggestions and/or reputable sellers would be most appreciated.

Cos
Post #: 1
RE: Wines from 1965 vintage - 2/22/2023 3:05:18 AM   
Echinosum

Not a year that made good wines in Europe, on the whole. The few red wines still around are fetching high prices just because they are the few remaining 1965 red wines around for people looking for birth year wines. And probably not going to be very nice most of them. The ones in the market are mostly Italians. Maybe some old Barolo or Amarone will still be drinkable, but better decide whether you might like that kind of thing and are prepared to take a risk on it.

As usual at this age, you are probably safest looking for a fortified wine, or one of those ageless sweet Rieslings or the like.

But sadly not a Port vintage, nor a year practically anyone made any vintage Madeira either. You will find some bottles of single quinta port like Vargellas and Bonfim, which will be many years past their best. Colheita port - ie single year tawny port - is much more ageless, and a little from that year is available. It will be more reliably drinkable, but ask yourself if that will fit your bill.

There is a 1965 Montilla-Moriles Pedro Ximénez on the market called Toro Albalá, and remarkably modestly priced for such an old bottle, has good reviews. That will be very dark sticky stuff. You will be able to have a bit, and keep it in the cupboard for quite a long time, like Madeira. Could be just what you are looking for, or something you absolutely don't want.

There is a little bit of 1965 Eiswein on the market, expensive. And you might find a little bit of 1965 Loire sweet white on the market - Vouvray, Montlouis, if you look hard.

(in reply to jcosindc)
Post #: 2
RE: Wines from 1965 vintage - 2/22/2023 5:08:39 AM   
DoubleD1969

How about spirits like Armagnac or Scotch? Not cheap but available.

(in reply to Echinosum)
Post #: 3
RE: Wines from 1965 vintage - 2/22/2023 6:20:17 AM   
ROEL

With a little luck you might find a Rivesaltes or indeed a Port, but in any case it will be challenging.

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 4
RE: Wines from 1965 vintage - 2/22/2023 6:41:44 AM   
chrisrsprague

A few years ago I found some newly bottled Barros 1965 Colheita. It was good, nothing mind blowing, but certainly not tired. A quick look on the web indicates that it's still available in a few spots.

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 5
RE: Wines from 1965 vintage - 2/22/2023 7:07:38 AM   
ROEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrisrsprague

A few years ago I found some newly bottled Barros 1965 Colheita. It was good, nothing mind blowing, but certainly not tired. A quick look on the web indicates that it's still available in a few spots.

In Europe this is a reliable source. They ship worldwide but I'm guessing that shipping to the US will not be cheap (didn't check)
https://www.garrafeiranacional.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=1965

The Colares is great on paper but a little geeky, so maybe not your first choice as a gift for a newbie

< Message edited by ROEL -- 2/22/2023 7:13:30 AM >

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to chrisrsprague)
Post #: 6
RE: Wines from 1965 vintage - 4/11/2023 9:19:57 AM   
jcosindc

I apologize for my delayed "thanks" response. Have had some health issues with mom.

I do appreciate the input from everyone. @DoubleD, I did consider Scotch since her everyday go-to is Balvenie Doublewood, but prices for a '65 Scotch are a bit insane. I love my sister-in-law but...

I'm not sure if she is a fan of ports and will have to discreetly see if I can find that out from her. I considered an Italian wine since that vintage received good reviews. I just am not familiar with how well those wines age.

Thanks, again, to everyone!

Cos

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wines from 1965 vintage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI