CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Insane Price for Scarecrow!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Insane Price for Scarecrow!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 4:25:46 PM   
Beachrooster

Just read this article and was shocked about the per bottle price of the 2009 Scarecrow. I know its supposed to be better than the 2007, but Damn!!!! Over $2000 a bottle. Crazy auction people. Anyway here is a little bit of the article:

New Records Being Set
Saturday's auction also broke PNV's previous single-lot record bringing $125,000 for a five- case offering from Scarecrow Wine, selling to Tokyo-based Nakagawa Wine Co. The previous single-lot record of $80,000 was set in 2007. Perennial auctioneer Fritz Hatton worked the bidding war that roared quickly into six figures as the audience of bidders and vintners cheered. When the gavel fell, the crowd jumped to their feet in rousing applause.

Ichizo Nakagawa when asked why he battled for the lot said, "When I came to the auction, I intended to get that wine no matter what it took." Nakagawa purchased five lots in total.

"I'm amazed, I'm shocked," said Scarecrow owner Bret Lopez stepping outside to catch his breath. "We never dreamed we'd reach this stature and (winemaker) Celia Welsh is a genius, a humble genius who coaxes the sublime flavors from the old men," referring to the 66-year-old-vines that produce just a 1/2 ton per acre.

Post #: 1
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 4:34:50 PM   
caeleric

beach,

are you sure it was for the '09? i have some friends who were there and they said it was the '07. my friends may have been wrong, as they spent 3 days drinking their faces off...

< Message edited by caeleric -- 2/28/2011 4:35:17 PM >

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to Beachrooster)
Post #: 2
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 4:36:04 PM   
ytsai

It is a special bottling Opium Dream, not something we normal peasants get.

Post #: 3
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 4:45:12 PM   
Beachrooster

Thanks for asking Caeleric. It wouldn't be the first time that I spread bad information. They sell a lot of wine before it hits the market.
I pulled this from the Napa Valley Register.

"Scarecrow has replaced Screaming Eagle at the summit of Napa Valley cult wine.
A Japanese importer paid $125,000 for five cases of 2009 Scarecrow cabernet sauvignon at Premiere Napa Valley Saturday afternoon, setting a record for a single auction lot and helping boost the midwinter trade auction to record proceeds approaching $2.4 million.
Made by respected winemaker Celia Welch, the five-case cabernet lot was won in spirited bidding by Ichizo Nakagawa, owner of Tokyo-based Nakagawa Wine Company. Noting he intended to take home the Scarecrow wine “no matter what,” Nakagawa received a standing ovation from a crowd of retailers, restaurateurs, wholesalers and vintners attending the trade auction at the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in St. Helena as auctioneer Fritz Hatton brought the gavel down to end bidding. Two years ago, a similar Scarecrow lot cost him $80,000."

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

beach,

are you sure it was for the '09? i have some friends who were there and they said it was the '07. my friends may have been wrong, as they spent 3 days drinking their faces off...

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 4
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 4:46:31 PM   
Beachrooster

They said that it was from their best barrel.
quote:

ORIGINAL: ytsai

It is a special bottling Opium Dream, not something we normal peasants get.

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 5
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 5:25:28 PM   
khmark7

Wow, what a waste of money!  Cocaine would be much more affordable...

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 6
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 6:01:59 PM   
oskiwawa

" stupid is as stupid does "

< Message edited by oskiwawa -- 2/28/2011 6:13:36 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 6:56:51 PM   
caeleric

Beach,

My sources must have been hammered! :)

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

Post #: 8
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 8:38:45 PM   
Hollowine

I too suspect a misprint.

The 2008 Scarecrow offers just went out, so I can't see any reason 2009 would be selling at auction unless it were a pure futures purchase. I too suspect it might have been the 2007 Opium Dream.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 9
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 8:51:03 PM   
hankj

2k a bottle? Are we to believe that there really is such a thing as a tiny set of super elite wines that are demonstrably better than the merely phenomenal wines that sell in the $80-200 price range? I sincerely doubt it ... there are many great winemakers and enough great grapes. It's wine not an oil painting.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 10
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 2/28/2011 9:19:37 PM   
Beachrooster

You guys may be right although they do auction a lot of wine still in the barrel and futures. I read that the 2007 Opium was auctioned off at a previous auction. Anyways it doesn't really matter, its the crazy prices that are so shocking to me. I just don't want this wine to become another Screagle at $750 a bottle.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

The 2008 Scarecrow offers just went out, so I can't see any reason 2009 would be selling at auction unless it were a pure futures purchase. I too suspect it might have been the 2007 Opium Dream.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 11
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 3/1/2011 5:24:50 AM   
jamjo

How much is a pound of Sensimilla going for these days? A viable option.

Post #: 12
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 3/1/2011 5:52:03 AM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beachrooster

You guys may be right although they do auction a lot of wine still in the barrel and futures. I read that the 2007 Opium was auctioned off at a previous auction. Anyways it doesn't really matter, its the crazy prices that are so shocking to me. I just don't want this wine to become another Screagle at $750 a bottle.

these pnv auctions are a different breed, since many of the auctions are for entire production, so not only are you paying a premium because it's quality juice, you're paying a super premium because you can say you're the only person in the whole world that has this particular wine. my buddies who were there won an auction for some b cellars wine.

what i got

Post #: 13
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 3/1/2011 7:54:51 AM   
drycab

http://www.napavintners.com/

Every year there are barrel auctions where "special" juice is put up for outrageous sale prices. It's kind of an auction where the Valley is Celebrating itself. As a matter of fact, the 2007 Opium Dream is either bottled or about to be already and the only thing in barrel they had to sell was the 2009. I've had a few bottles of the wines sold at PNV/NVV auctions and been alternately supremely excited about what I was drinking or completely disapointed. It's a lot like the old addage," There are no good wines...only good bottles..." or something like that. That must be why I keep buying more wine?

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 14
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 3/1/2011 12:13:57 PM   
treetops

quote:

Would a barrel of that be called a hash pipe?

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 15
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 3/1/2011 12:46:42 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: treetops

quote:

Would a barrel of that be called a hash pipe?

No Treetops, they don't filter (screen) their wines. But the Opium Dream does come with a limited edition Laguiole that has a double-action Screw on one end and a cooking spoon on the other...

(in reply to treetops)
Post #: 16
RE: Insane Price for Scarecrow!! - 3/1/2011 3:16:45 PM   
Beachrooster

Drycab is right, I have tasted several PNV bottles and have never been blown away. I would even suspect, it is the same quality as the wineries regular wine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

http://www.napavintners.com/

Every year there are barrel auctions where "special" juice is put up for outrageous sale prices. It's kind of an auction where the Valley is Celebrating itself. As a matter of fact, the 2007 Opium Dream is either bottled or about to be already and the only thing in barrel they had to sell was the 2009. I've had a few bottles of the wines sold at PNV/NVV auctions and been alternately supremely excited about what I was drinking or completely disapointed. It's a lot like the old addage," There are no good wines...only good bottles..." or something like that. That must be why I keep buying more wine?

< Message edited by Beachrooster -- 3/2/2011 1:01:36 PM >

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Insane Price for Scarecrow!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI